Over it

Options
So I've been on this weight loss journey since early October and found I was doing pretty well. I've lost 15 kgs, taking it nice and slow, joined a gym etc.
These last few weeks though I've just felt awful. I get full nights sleeps but am always tired. I have no motivation for the gym, and when I'm there I just feel lost. I'm unhappy at work and have started picking up my old eating habits again. I know everyone says you just have to keep thinking about your goal, but if I feel this awful while i'm getting there I don't know if I want to continue. I try to log everything, and make interesting and yummy foods but half the time I'm so disinterested in cooking/eating I'd rather just walk to the supermarket and buy an instant meal. I also feel like my whole life revolves around weightloss now which is something i never wanted.
How do I get out of this awful funk?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It might help to join some of the groups on here or do this with friends. Like other things in life, it takes practice, trial, and error.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you sleep well yet are always tired......has this ever happened before?

Were you fueling your body properly during workout days?
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try eating at maintenance levels for a couple weeks and see if you start feeling better. If you do then you could start back on you weight loss plan.
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    How's your stress level from other things like work, family, etc.? Sometimes, in my experience, stress and drama can sideline any amount of motivation you might have been working with. Sometimes doing something different helps get you back on track, mixing up a routine type of thing. Wishing you the best!
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    before you give up or toss in the towel, maybe a trip to see your doctor should be in order. maybe you've got something metabolic going on, or something else medical going on. it'd be worth a shot. the worst that would happen, is, you'd find out you're perfectly healthy, and you could go on from there. but don't just give up. obviously you've come a long ways already. it's spring. maybe just a change of the seasons. talk to your doctor, though. sure can't hurt. maybe you've got some depression issues too. I know. been there. done that. please check it out. hang in there and take care of yourself.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? This happened to me last fall. I was doing great, and felt great, then I hit a wall. I was sleeping 12+ hours at night and was still tired, and I wanted to go to the gym, but couldn't find the energy. I was cramming food in my face to try to give myself energy, but that wasn't helping either. Come to find out, my TSH was way high and needed to come back down.
  • nfpeacock
    nfpeacock Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The sleep thing has happened before a little, but never to this extreme. It's been a few weeks now I've felt this tired. I feel like I'm fueling myself well enough
  • nfpeacock
    Options
    How's your stress level from other things like work, family, etc.? Sometimes, in my experience, stress and drama can sideline any amount of motivation you might have been working with. Sometimes doing something different helps get you back on track, mixing up a routine type of thing. Wishing you the best!

My stress for other things is through the roof to be honest. My job is a nightmare for my stress, and on top of that this is my last year in London (I'm from NZ) so I'm trying to do a lot of things (lots of trips away etc)
  • nfpeacock
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? This happened to me last fall. I was doing great, and felt great, then I hit a wall. I was sleeping 12+ hours at night and was still tired, and I wanted to go to the gym, but couldn't find the energy. I was cramming food in my face to try to give myself energy, but that wasn't helping either. Come to find out, my TSH was way high and needed to come back down.

I'd never thought of that but i'll look into it!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

My stress for other things is through the roof to be honest. My job is a nightmare for my stress, and on top of that this is my last year in London (I'm from NZ) so I'm trying to do a lot of things (lots of trips away etc)

Ding, ding, ding! And we have a potential cause.

Stress can wreak havoc on energy levels.

A talk with a physician might be in order, but in the mean time, some people find that breathing exercises and medication help considerably when managing stress...here is a link to a site about diaphragmatic breathing.

http://www.cmhc.utexas.edu/stressrecess/Level_Two/breathing.html

Good luck!
  • nfpeacock
    Options

I'll defiantly look at those exercises when I get home today. I think another problem is I'm alone in London at the moment and not enjoying it. But thats something for me to work on. Thanks for the support guys!

Ding, ding, ding! And we have a potential cause.

Stress can wreak havoc on energy levels.

A talk with a physician might be in order, but in the mean time, some people find that breathing exercises and medication help considerably when managing stress...here is a link to a site about diaphragmatic breathing.

http://www.cmhc.utexas.edu/stressrecess/Level_Two/breathing.html

Good luck!