Look at my diary please??

Options
13»

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You won't lose 2 pounds a week if you only have 30 pounds to lose. 2 pounds per week is only realistic for people who have 75 pounds or more to lose. 1 pound a week is more realistic for now, though once you get to 20 pounds or less to lose, .5 pound a week will probably be what works.

I really recommend getting a food scale and weighing the things that you eat. I see some entries in your diary that I seem like they're probably not accurate (did you really go to McDonald's to get apple slices? If not, how do you know the apple slices you ate are the same serving size as McDonald's?). Little things like that add up in a hurry and can really keep you from losing weight. That happened to me.

I would try to get a lot more vegetables in your diet, since there are almost none in your diary since you started logging last week. I also agree with what others have said about adding more protein and cutting back on refined sugar. Do you really need 7 tsp. of sugar in your oatmeal in the morning? Almost 1/3 of your breakfast calories come from that sugar, which means they're empty calories. They're not doing anything to help you stay full until lunch. It would be better if they were coming from some kind of protein, like a hard boiled egg. Likewise, yesterday if you knew you were going to have cake, why waste almost 300 calories on sugary lemonade? Think of your calories like money--you want to make good investments, not impulse purchases.
    Just so you know, I'm going to blatantly steal this and repost on almost every topic here. I tell people all the time - think of calories like money in the bank.
  • Frofame
    Frofame Posts: 6
    Options
    Quick question: I am now on day 9 of MFP. Initially I was allowed 1340 calories a day. I woke up this morning and now I'm allowed 1560? Anyone know why this happened?
  • bullygirl979
    bullygirl979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my foods. Don't really want to fool with that honestly.
    Yesterday was my cheat day
    I've been working out for about a month but really only logging food for the last week or so

This is why you are not losing weight.

If you want it badly enough, you will log your food, you will measure and weigh your food, and you won't have 'cheat' days - they aren't necessary.

You've also lost inches - would you rather measure your success by the way you look, or by a random number on a scale that only you see and know?

As for your food diary, yes your protein is low, you also eat at restaurants a lot - not a criticism, but just bear in mind that they will be high in sodium which can cause water retention = no weight loss. I also see little fruit and veg or home made meals..
    It depends whether you want to just lose weight or improve your health.

And by the way:
    This time I don't just want to drop lbs, but really build muscle.

You won't build muscle eating at a deficit.

All of this. Your diet is full of sugary, processed junk. Try increasing your veggies and protein and eating clean. Cut out the added sugar and processed foods. Do you really need to eat 4 Oreos daily? I know I sound a little harsh but if you want to lose the weight, you have to put the work in.

I make my diet full of fresh veggies and fruit, 100% whole wheat pasta/bread/etc, raw nuts, lean protein. I try not to use any added sugar and eat minimal processed food.

A pound of weight loss is a 3,500 calorie deficit. If you aren't creating this deficit, you won't lose.
  • lenksa77920
    lenksa77920 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started out close to your measurements and with the same amount to lose. 2lbs/week is too much for sure. I've losing a little less than a lb a week, with normal fluctuations. The breakthrough moment for me was getting a scale and being honest with myself about logging. It really doesn't take that long, especially if you have a lot of the same foods daily. Moving the scale slowly but surely downwards while lifting heavy really seems to be working and I'm still eating everything I like, in moderation. I'm almost halfway there and started in early January.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't magically make you lose weight..... And I am surprised at alot of the answers in this thread.

You DO NOT have to eat enough protein to lose weight.

You are overeating and not creating a caloric deficit.

I don't recall anyone saying that it magically makes you lose weight... I think people are saying (including me) that it's an important part of your diet that shouldn't be ignored.

Read the OP's post...

She doesn't think she is losing weight because she doesn't have enough protein. Its the very first sentence.