more working out, less lost pounds

Options
Good morning everyone!

I joined MFP awhile back, and did a very lazy tracking method which caused me to quit many times. This past Feb I really buckled down and got on board. I track everything. I have been working out with my twin brother at the gym for a year. I have taken time off a week or two here and there (surgery, Ramadan), but overall I was working out. The problem is I had a method about 12 years ago that really worked for me. He doesn't go for that, and keeps nagging me to do it HIS way, and I've seen no progress. After starting back on MFP I have lost about 10lbs (though my tracker will only show 7 because of my weight when I initially joined, not my weight from Feb 2014) and felt very positive and motivated by that.

The problem now is that I am taking a karate class and the amount of extra calories is significant. I don't feel like it's ACTUAL karate the way maybe MFP is figuring, because it just started and it's mainly cardio, kicks, punches and things like windmills, leg exercises etc (to build strength and flexibility). I shave down the time from say 60 minutes to maybe 30 or 40 to feel more accurate. I have eaten more because I've read you should eat back most of your exercise calories, but gained like 2lbs in the past week and a half! This weekend I was doing a lot of yardwork, then the karate 2 nights. And I'm up!

Should I shave more time off the karate? I have tracked everything, I mean everything. I really went over last Sunday because we got snow / ice / rain in our area and it was cancelled, so I was like 800 calories over because I had counted on the karate and by 2pm Sunday only had 200 calories left, was hungry and then they cancelled it. (it was my own fault and choices, I own that). Could this gain be from that even this late???

I don't want to get discouraged and give up.

Sorry for the length, and thanks for any advice.

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! 2 lbs is nothing. You are probably retaining water from starting a new routine. Give it a couple more weeks and then determine if you need to change things again. When starting a new routine, you should always give it 4-6 weeks (depending on who you ask) for it to balance out and "take effect".
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The scale is a liar. Measure yourself... weighing has too many factors that contribute to it. You could be building muscle which by volume weighs more then fat (it's denser) so you'll lose inches but weigh the same (or even gain weight)... don't let it discourage you!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It's 100% perfectly normal to gain weight when you start a NEW routine. Read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I increased my workouts about a month ago, and for the first 2-3 weeks was going around the same 2-3 pounds. It was steadily coming down, but I noticed that after a particularly strenuous workout, I would retain a few pounds of water for a few days.

Keep exercising, track your food religiously, and I'd be shocked if this didn't resolve itself within a month or so.
  • VioletHaz
    VioletHaz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing on here to eat your exercise calories but that seems to be going more toward a maintenance program. When I got my fitbit tracker and by other posts on mfp, I learned about the calorie deficit and losing weight. Say that you work up to earning 2200 calories a day (a tad easier when the fitbit is tracking every movement), then me trying to lose 1.5 lbs a week means I only eat up to 1200 to 1500 calories that day. I lost 10 lbs ( some water weight there) in 5 weeks.
    March was a wash because of a vacation and two weeks with a bad cold.
    April is a fresh start again having kept that 10lb loss maintained looking to lose another 7-10 by the first week of May.
    Good luck!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I think you're just having some body rebellion because of the new routine. Things will settle down soon. Don't give up.

Also, it's great you work out with your twin but that doesn't mean what works for them works for you. What exactly was your routine vs the way they want to do things?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My weight is always up and down a pound or two. No worries.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I remember when I started the C25K a couple years ago (yes, I'm back after regaining...whole 'nother story) I actually GAINED 10 pounds in the first month of serious running~BUT went down 2 (almost 3) whole sizes! Give it some time. Measure. Then make a decision.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It's just water retention in your muscles for recovery. Whenever you try something new, it's confusing your body and your muscle fibers hold onto to excess water to make sure they repair properly.

It'll go over in a few weeks. It's like getting a saline drip IV in a hospital; you have retention for a couple of weeks but your measurements don't change.

I freaked out the day before my wedding because the retention of IV fluids was six pounds and I thought I wouldn't fit into my dress. Measurements were all the same so just rely on measurements over the next couple of weeks.

Karate is hard on the muscles. I did it for a couple of years but I'm really flexible thanks to it and pretty strong still. And my wall sits can last forever it seems. :happy:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I agree it's probably water weight from the new routine. For a more accurate calorie count you could get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. That way you're not guess as much when you enter it into MFP.
  • TheBizarb
    TheBizarb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is in response to VioletHaz = But this seems counterintuitive. Another poster said she was only eating 1200 calories and working out 5x a week but wasn't losing.

This is very confusing. Do I EAT back my exercise calories, or just figure they're a "bonus" as if I don't eat them I've just burned that much more???
  • TheBizarb
    Options
    Response to Pipsg1rl = I would go in with 2 body parts per workout. So it would be: back & biceps, chest & triceps, legs & shoulders, with abs a few times a week. Then I would do 30-45 mins of cardio every time I worked out (4 times a week or so). I would do 15 reps, and the weight at a hard but not crushing amount.

My brother wants to do it as a body part each time, so: legs one day, arms another, chest another, abs & back another. He said I should lift heavier since women won't get bulky or huge like a guy (which is true, I've spoken with trainers and read about it), but he just maybe is annoying me with his insistance to do MORE weight, etc. I have been pushing myself more, but sometimes I feel dizzy or lightheaded and I've told him I'm not going to "push through it" as he says, because I'm not about to faint and embarass myself at the gym.

We'll see how it plays out. I'm not going to quit. I'm 47 years old and I want to be in the best shape I can be by the time I'm 50 (or by next year when our 30th year HS reunion rolls around).
  • quirkysterks
    Options
    Eating back your calories after a workout isn't always the best plan.

If I work out the way I want to (700-1000 calories burned/day), I give myself a bonus 300 calories, and I try to keep those to protein/fruit.

As far as the gaining goes, you're almost definitely having water retention issues. Like everyone else said, just hang in there!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

If I work out the way I want to (700-1000 calories burned/day), I give myself a bonus 300 calories, and I try to keep those to protein/fruit.

As far as the gaining goes, you're almost definitely having water retention issues. Like everyone else said, just hang in there!

False. You're supposed to eat back exercise calories, or your deficit could be too large. But you have to make sure you don't overeat too, that's why heart rate monitors with chest straps are handy.

For the weight stuff, I'd lift heavier but less reps, but do 2 or 3 sets (of 8 to 12) with some rest in between. I do two body parts at a time too. You just got to give yourself 48 hours before working the same muscles again.
  • TheBizarb
    Options

False. You're supposed to eat back exercise calories, or your deficit could be too large. But you have to make sure you don't overeat too, that's why heart rate monitors with chest straps are handy.

For the weight stuff, I'd lift heavier but less reps, but do 2 or 3 sets (of 8 to 12) with some rest in between. I do two body parts at a time too. You just got to give yourself 48 hours before working the same muscles again.

Any recommendations for the HRM? I started checking them out, but don't have a lot to spend, but the Polar FT7 seems okay???
  • quirkysterks
    Options

Actually, that is the advice that I've received from several doctors/endocrinologists that specialize in metabolic issues...
    You need to eat the amount that your body requires for your resting/basal metabolic rate (what your body needs to function if you did nothing but lay in bed all day). Beyond that, you create your own deficit.

You can estimate your RMR/BMR, or you can get it tested (I used a branch of New Leaf Fitness)... But if you eat back all of your exercise calories, you're negating the work you've done.