Protein Powder Suggestions

Options
Hello! So I'm looking to see what people are enjoying for protein shakes. I'm looking for something that mixes easily in a shaker cup and is ideal for my body type (5'6" 136 lbs 23 years old) while being low cal if possible. Currently, doing 4-5 days a week of circuit weight training and cradio classes. Just looking to replace or supplement my breakfast. I'm hoping I can find something tasty (not gritty) and easily mixes with water or milk. I'm hearing good things about Phase 8. Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Asking for low cal protein powder kind of a funny question. Generally, protein powders are made up almost entirely protein.

e.g. 1 scoop equals:
    29 g protein
    3 g carbs
    1 g fat

This means that 1 scoop is 140 calories. If you want less calories, use half of a scoop.

I use Biox - All Natural Power Whey Isolate - Strawberry. It mixes well and tastes pretty good.

Hope this helped.
  • lhevan
    lhevan Posts: 12
    Options
    I have never heard of Phase 8 and I might be an amateur to protein powders in general but I picked up Designer Whey from my local grocery store in the flavor Vanilla Bean and I mix it with almond milk, a scoop of peanut putter and half a banana. I drink it as a meal supplement. I blend it up in my NutriBullet and add some ice. It tastes great however will be on the market looking for something 100% whey. This product contains soy which I realized after the fact.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    My typical morning protein shake.

1 banana
    2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
    25g spinach
    45g strawberries
    1 cup of almond breeze chocolate milk
    1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder

532 Calories
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is delicious, cheap when bought in bulk, and fairly low-carb. It mixes moderately well in a shaker cup, but with the $$ you same in a year over Phase 8 (and any other Mu$cle Tech products) you can buy a Nutribullet ($100 most places).
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Double Milk Chocolate and Banana Cream are both great. A half scoop of each is especially great. They're both around 120 cals per scoop, 24-25 g protein. I normally mix in a shaker cup with just water, but it's really great mixed with milk.

Trutein Cinnabun is also really, really good. ON is easier to buy though, free shipping on Amazon.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like Now Sports because there isn't any added sugar or artificial sweeteners. I like to add my own peanut butter and honey.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Following
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My favorites are either the Dymatize Elite XT Choc Fudge one with Matcha Green Tea Powder,Lactose Free Milk and Seedless Cherries, or else I like the Trutein Cinnabun one mixed with cold coffee and Matcha Green Tea Powder.
  • jenjens31
    jenjens31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have never liked protein shakes, usually the taste or consistency, etc. my friend turned me onto protizyme peanut butter cookie. i really like it! as is its 130 cals, but i like to use unsweetened organic almond milk with it instead of water. so good!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I use all Garden of Life products for my shakes.
    I do a few different combos of the following of their products:

Protein Powder
    Raw Meal Replacement
    Perfect Meal

All of these products come in various flavors.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i highly suggest that you simply find the cheapest powder that is palletable to you.

the large difference in price is quite large compared to the miniscule differences in absorption rates.

If i were you, i'd multiply the number of grams of protien per serving by the number of servings per container and divide that product by the price and that will tell you how much you are really paying per gram of protein.

I use something from a local gym called albany strength. they have a website. its cheaper then the walmart brand, mixes better and tastes better then any other protien i've had, no doubt about it.
  • lilymae71
    lilymae71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If all you want is protein, GNC has one that's like 2 ingredients, based upon animal protein (which is great).

I can't do the ones high in whey (or all) as I'm allergic (I can sneak a little if it's at the end of ingredients list). I prefer doing the powders that contain macrobiotics and greens (sort of meal replacement in nature, as they're whole foods) but those run from 80-140 calories a serving. Since you want protein and low cal, I strongly suggest the GNC meat-based (it's protein ISOLATE, not hunks of meat).
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i like pure protein- its 25 pro. per scoop 150 cal.
    chocolate comes in at 160 cal
  • brittneyleighphotography
    Options
    I appreciate all the suggestions! Being fairly active, but new to the shake scene I know zip on the subject. I'm not doing any huge ridiculous body changes, but more toning u. I have a hard time eating breakfast in genereal most days so I figure the shakes are a win win.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Cipher's whey roundup

>ON Double chocolate and Extreme chocolate are... okay. You'll be sick of them before the tubs are empty. Mixes well in water, milk, and almond milk.Double is less flavorful than extreme.

>Dymatize Elite Fudge Brownie is godly. Mixed with everything, but tends to be thicker than any of the others. Use a little less water (or whole milk) and you've got dessert shake.

>Wheytech Protech 24 banana & chocolate are both kind of weak flavors and suitable for blending. The banana is great with orange juice, yogurts, and puddings.

>Body Fortress vanilla - the worst of the lot. It has a gritty texture that'll never go away no matter what you do with it. Very obvious artifical flavor.

>The Vitamin Shoppe Next Step Fit N' Full Shake (Berry flavor): I didn't think anything could taste worse than Body Fortress. I was wrong. Disgusting. Do not buy.

>Myofusion Elite Protein Series Peanut Butter Cookie Dough: Smells kind of like the Body Fortress Vanilla, and has the same highly-artifical flavor but no grittiness to it. Tasted decent in water and will probably a lot better with milk.

>Paleo Protein - Triple Chocolate. This one's beef and egg whte protein. Smells amazing in power form, had a slick texture and odd flavor if you're used to whey-based protein shakes. The chocolate smells a lot better than it tastes. It's the ony one I was unable to get to completely mix with a blenderball shaker.

>Jay Robb Strawberry Egg White Protein. Since when is Strawberry yellow? Never mind, it's actually pretty good with a strong flavor. It does produce a very foamy head in the shaker cup

I'll keep adding as I buy samples and give they a try - in some cases so you won't have to!