I'm not even fat enough for weight loss surgery...

Options

Replies

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Meh, I eat the same thing for breakfast and dinner throughout a week. Lunch changes, if only because I pull a different lean cuisine out of the freezer each day. Hasn't hindered my weight loss thus far.

Since you already portion and prep, I would figure out the calorie content of your portions. When I cook in bulk, I weigh all the ingredients before they go into the pot and plug it into the recipe builder here. Then, when I portion it out, I divide the total by the amount of portions and voila, instant daily calorie count.

Also, rejoice you're not a weight loss surgery candidate. Sure, it works great for some people, but in order to keep it off, my friends who have had it are severely restricted in what they can eat. They can't even go out and enjoy a buffet in moderation - it's tiny little portions, rather than a whole plate of food. I know for me, I love food too much to give it up, so I have to do it the old fashion way - watching calories, making better food choices, exercise and every once in awhile, a buffet :)
  • Turtlesallthewaydown
    Turtlesallthewaydown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Surgery doesn't do the work for a person, which is why you will hear about people regaining or even putting themselves at a higher weight than before.

The person has to choose the best, most nutrient dense foods without eating any junk or consistently over-stuffing themselves. And surgery will not turn you into a saint with iron willpower. Just because you would have to make a lifestyle change for your health and safety, doesn't mean you would as you see it's possible to eat your way right back up the scale after surgery. You still want all those foods and flavors. Your stomach eventually starts to stretch again when more than needed food is put in. Food and appetite are complicated so even if your stomach is altered there may be issues in play that are going to derail the process.

So there are physical changes brought on by being cut and stapled and banded, but it's mainly the patients new active lifestyle and healthy eating choices that get the results. The initial rush of weight loss comes from not eating like you have been eating, tapers off and then you have to work for the rest of the weight to come off. It takes years of hard work.

You can make those changes yourself without subjecting yourself to a procedure. Changing your nutrition is key.
    The doctor who turned you down for surgery might know of medical weightloss programs you could enroll in, or other options.
    In his work with obese and over-weight patients he should have some insight to offer you.
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Log it and loose it. You might be over estimating your calories burnt.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Be happy you don't need surgery.....A member of my family had it and it still didn't work....

^^ This too, except a co-worker, not family member in my case. The surgery only lasted two years for her, and she is back up to 300-ish pounds. :ohwell:

My former MIL at 5'1" went from about 450 to 350 after her surgery, she also lost all of her hair and would puke daily if she ate more than a bird sized amount of food. She was in and out of the hospital. And when I worked at a nonprofit that served individuals with disabilities I would say a good third of the younger clients were disabled due to complications and problems stemming from weight loss surgeries. Some of the issues they had were seriously disturbing, others just very sad. Just in my relatively small city I know of two people under 40 who have died following it (one right away, and one a couple of years later). Even when I was at my heaviest (307 lb) I knew that I'd do anything to lose weight before trying that route. JMHO.
    My mom should be getting out of the hospital today. She had weight loss surgery 10 years ago, but has put much of the weight back on. She decided to have a revision to the surgery to again help with the weight loss. The surgery was a week ago, and two days after getting out of the hospital she lost motor function entirely. Her blood sugar (once they got to the hospital and could test it) was 770, and her blood pressure was low enough that they were surprised she was alive. Turns out she got an infection. Add this to the list of problems she has had over the years (loss of hair, vitamin deficiency, puking all the time, etc.), and it is not a decision to take lightly.

Granted, my mom is not a good candidate for the surgery mostly because she doesn't want to change how she eats, sleeps (or doesn't), or exercises (mostly doesn't). It is only a tool and not a solution, and it comes with huge risks.

Since you have to change your lifestyle even with the surgery, suck it up and get it done now. Track everything, make sure you are eating at an appropriate level for you activity, and if nothing is working, get your blood work checked.

Both of these stories are awful :( So sorry to hear them.

OP do what everyone is telling you. You have to track. You have to know what you're putting in your body in order to create a deficit. Write down your recipes, put them in MFP and set them a part by serving. It takes all the guess work out of what you're doing.

If you enjoy what you're eating, that's great. But maybe do what someone else suggested; spice it up a little to make it more enjoyable :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You do understand that weight loss surgery isn't some magical thing that guarantees you success, right? And that there are quite a few people that do the surgery that end up right back where they started if not worse?

Because even with the surgery, you'd still have to educate yourself on nutrition, portions, calorie amounts etc (basically doing what everyone else here that hasn't had surgery has had to do).

Consider yourself ahead of the game that you DON'T have to spend thousands of dollars going through something that might end up backfiring on you (creating severe deficiencies, possible other medical problems, or just ending back where you started).
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    if you find the right doctor he will give you the surgery you so want.

whack.

how bout you try the eat less move more diet. seems to work great.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Do you log and eat back exercise calories? Perhaps this is where inaccuracies lie for you. Sure, following the mfp method, you are supposed to eat back the calories you earned, but the methods used to calculate calories burned are estimates.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    That is correct. A couple of co-workers of mine got the gastric sleeve and look amazing,

There are other solutions other then gastric sleeve, my wife got the gastric belt.
    Just because you get an operation that does not prevent you from eating something that is high in calories though out the entire day.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Do you log and eat back exercise calories? Perhaps this is where inaccuracies lie for you. Sure, following the mfp method, you are supposed to eat back the calories you earned, but the methods used to calculate calories burned are estimates.

MFP's estimated burns are known to be quite inflated, as well.

OP, have you ever explored the 80% of TDEE method?

i applaud them for not giving you the surgery. you can do this on your own.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    if you find the right doctor he will give you the surgery you so want.

whack.

how bout you try the eat less move more diet. seems to work great.

didnt kanye's mom get it done in a strip-mall clinic?

if memory serves me, she's dead now.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You are mad because you don't need surgery?

^this

I can't get my head around this idea. In other words, she's mad because she's too close to her goal weight.

I have a lot of friends who have had the surgery and are now as far from their goal weight as they were before they had the surgery...but with more complications that side effects than before.

OP: weight and measure everything, track consistently - do this for a sufficient period of time and then make adjustments as needed.

edit: typo
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to undergo a drastic life change like weight loss surgery, you should be willing to log your food accurately and consistently. It's free, it's simple, and it's painless.

Give that a sincere effort for awhile and see how it goes.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    OP, would you consider opening your diary and sharing your height, weight and confirming age? You might get some more useful info.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    OP, would you consider opening your diary and sharing your height, weight and confirming age? You might get some more useful info.

Not sure what's the point of looking at the diary when she's already said she's inconsistent with logging.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think OP is actually celebrating that she is too small to be eligible for surgery.

And she specified that she portions all of her meals out in advance and she eats the same thing so consistent logging shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Cut her some slack, folks.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

:heart:

"Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy!"
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I think OP is actually celebrating that she is too small to be eligible for surgery.

And she specified that she portions all of her meals out in advance and she eats the same thing so consistent logging shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Cut her some slack, folks.

Except she has stated she hasn't been able to lose and wants "tips and tricks." The only tip/suggestion at this point is to weigh out the food and log consistently.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Tips & Tricks for Weight Loss:

1. weigh/measure/log every bite that goes in your mouth so you KNOW you are in a calorie deficit

2. be patient