When do losses slow down?

Options
I started my journey on March 24 at 300 lbs. In two weeks I have lost 10 lbs. I am just curious when your losses slowed down. I know I will not lose 5 lbs. every week and want to be realistic with my goals.

Thanks!

Replies

• makingitbrilliant
    Options
    You will probably slow down very soon. It is also very very unlikely that that 10 pounds was fat.... When you start, you usually have a big whoosh of water weight. Dont be discouraged by that, you're still doing fantastically. At your weight, you may continue to lose a couple of pounds a week for a while yet.
  • JasperPW
    JasperPW Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for 80 days now and have not experienced any plateau yet at all. I've averaged 15 pounds a month but I am working hard at it. My calories stay below 1800 and I work out 5 days a week, both cardio and weights. I started at (at least) 338 and am now down to 291. I've still got 92 pounds to go. I'm 60 years old and have lost 100 pounds at least 3 times in my life, but never, ever like this. I've never bothered to record/journal my food intake before. That has made a world of difference. Keeping track of my calories for the first time in my life has shown me what a fool I've been all my life...or rather how I was fooling myself.

So...plateaus may come but you have to want to lose weight/get in shape badly enough to keep working through it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A healthy loss is .5–2 lb. per week. Most of what you initially lose is water & glycogen stores.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Your ticker shows a big weight loss as your plan. With lots to lose it comes off quickly at first.