is it really ok to rest a day

Options
I have been going at it for ten days no breaks. I have lost inches but no pounds does anyone know why . I have been working out like crazy. Mt whole body hurts but I just cant stop in fear of gaining .

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Rest of you need it. You gain from eating more than you burn, not from taking a rest day.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You have to rest!!!! Always take at least one rest day per week. If you are afraid of gaining weight, remember that taking a walk is allowed on a rest day, actually it's encouraged.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I was tired. Everything ached. Hadn't taken a day off in 3 weeks. I took off yesterday. Had one of my best workouts today, EVER! One day a week, or one every other week if you're obsessive/compulsive. Give it a try. It was AWESOME!
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    listen to your body, it will tell you when you need a break.
  • superlilmomma
    Options
    An actual day of rest in involves taking care of five kids young and a husband and nothing else baths laundry dressings cooking meals very lil sleep. I just dont know y I lose inches and no pounds.
  • superlilmomma
    Options
    I know muscles weight more than fat but I can see a difference but not on the scale. I feel like i should b mad at myself. But I like the trans. I like seeeing it my thighs ans stomach. But I havent lost any weight
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I know muscles weight more than fat but I can see a difference but not on the scale. I feel like i should b mad at myself. But I like the trans. I like seeeing it my thighs ans stomach. But I havent lost any weight
    Don't be so caught up on the scale. How are your clothes fitting?
  • superlilmomma
    Options
    Great ur amazing !!#!#! My skinny jeans were to big. When I put them on this morning. I really just want to look great but my bmi is just messing with me.
  • hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that when you exercise, you are stimulating your muscles- it hurts, because your myofiliaments are actually breaking. on REST DAYS, your muscles are being built back up, stronger and bigger than before. The soreness that you feel is your muscle fibrils- your actin and myosin- that have broken and are repairing themselves.

Therefore, you NEED rest days in order to allow your muscles to grow! i usually take one rest day a week, when I feel I need it the most. Don't overuse your body because you don't want to injure yourself. Take a rest day when you think you need one.

You're doing AWESOME. Don't quit- keep it up!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i had surgery a few weeks ago, I couldn't workout for a week...so I rested.....I felt like superwoman when I could finally exercise again. I had so much energy AND i dropped a few pounds right after that :wink:
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ^ Listen to the two wise women.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Take a break. Please.

Part of the weightloss journey is allowing your body to recuperate from all the exertion you have put it through. If you watch your calories the days that you rest, then you won't gain any weight.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Some of these topics are sad. You don't need our permission to take a break. Please listen to your body and give it rest.

Pounds are not what's important. The scale only tells you what your relationship is with gravity. Losing inches in only 10 days is amazing progress! Focus on losing inches, making your clothes looser, and having more energy. And please take regular rest days from exercise. If you don't recover from working your body hard, you will quickly lose your strength and fall victim to fatigue, which will make it nearly impossible to keep improving. Rest is crucial!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you don't rest, you are going to burn yourself out, become fatigued and stall your progress. Your exercise will be in vain because you will be too tired to give it your all. It is better to do 5 days a week of intense exercise rather than 7 days of "just getting by" because you are exhausted.
  • Crystalianike22
    Options
    you are just like me.

tried to not exercise (Heavy weight, high impact aerobic, etc)
    just better clean up your house, gardening or just walking

than eat low carbs, limit sugar,

maybe you adrenal body type (Acording to dr Eric Berg http://www.drberg.com/) :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • 86tigger
    86tigger Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's hard to take a rest day as everything in your brain tells you to carry on working out. I'm exactly the same but I know that my body needs to the rest esp as I lift heavy so my muscles are breaking down.
    It may make it easier to set aside one day every week to rest (sunday is my day) and then work your schedule around this. At first I hated having a day off but now as my rest day is at the weekend it means that I can have a lie in and have the day to go to London or whereever without worring about time to fit in exercise.

If you dont rest you will end up injured and will feel worse. Trust me I've been there.