What was your turning point?

Options
I know that I'm posting this under "Success Stories" but this is for all you Champs and Champs-to-Be!!

What made you want to change course? What was it that made it enough!

I'm starting my journey again but I'm not failing no more because I'm changing. I'm evolving and turning into the person that I want to become.

Its so funny though because I seem to live in La-La-Land. I tell everyone (family, friends, coworkers and even my supervisors) about my plans for weight loss.

I look at clothes and I think to myself.. "I can not wait to come back for you"..

If you see me now, I'm a regular mom. I wear the same clothes that I have been for years. But my weight loss is going to bring out the "shopaholic" in me. Oh man, how I'm going to love to go shopping. Oh and I've never been a "dress or skirts" kind of girl but lately that's all I've been looking at. Dresses!!!!:heart:

Clothes is ONE big motivation for me.. and it works!

Replies

• seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I donated blood and I found out that my cholesterol level was SKY HIGH. I think I was in shock for a week. I knew I was overweight but I didn't realize what else it was doing to me. I'm with you on the clothes thing! i can't wait to wear some cute stuff without being self conscious.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've had many, but the most recent one was the pictures I saw after our trip to Vegas. Just......ew.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I were talking about losing weight (like we always would nonchalantly), and then it became serious......he grabbed my hand, looked me in the eyes and said "I'm overweight, but you're the kind of overweight that people die from".

That was March 10th, and that's the day I joined MFP.

I needed that wake up call and to see his real care and concern for me made me realize that being super morbidly obese wasn't just affecting me, it was affecting him and could possibly end my life sooner if I continued in the direction I was going.
  • sch1994
    sch1994 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I woke up one day and thought, my boyfriend deserves someone beautiful and I had let my self go, That and it just hurt to do anything, it was just not comfortable anymore!
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am now VERY HUNGRY FOR RESULTS. Ive never had that before, yes, I wanted and hoped to lose weight in the past but it's only now that I feel like I really want to see my body change for the better. Now I have real commitments and I feel bad whenever I don't hold up my end of it. Now I understand what being accountable means and that really pushes me to keep going. =)
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I saw the pictures of me at my daughter's wedding. I knew I was over weight but I had no idea how bad I looked.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, my turning point happened because of Instagram. I was posting some food pictures, because you know that's what you do when you have an IG account, and before I knew it I was searching for and following accounts that posted nothing but pictures of healthy food. My daily life became full of gorgeous pictures of fruits, veggies, "clean" meals, meal preps, etc.

I realized along the way that I had always been looking at pictures of thin and/or fit women for inspiration, but that doing so made me feel worse about myself because I was so far from that. But food is easy to copy, and I could set a goal of "my next meal" rather than "x number of pounds." At the end of last year I did a 90-day "clean" eating challenge that was successful in some ways and not in others. The biggest thing was shifting my focus away from the body-negative chatter in my head. That nonsense was getting in the way of very real health goals.

Through IG I also discovered IIFYM and decided I wanted to that instead of restricting food groups, so here I came and the rest is history in the making.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    A personal side note, I have PCOS (Google it if you don't know what it is) and it caused me many health issues. I ignored my health for years despite being told I need to lose 50+ lbs from the doctor that diagnosed me 9 years ago. I pitied myself and let myself just continue to gain more weight. About 3 years ago my dad had a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery, followed by lots of physical therapy. I thought I lost him, and he survived the whole ordeal and is healthy now. This made me realize life is too short to wallow in self pity. I could be the next one in the hospital. So I picked myself up and began trying to get healthy, I researched my PCOS, I found people on here with it and got ideas on how to take control. I even went to a doctor and got tips and medicine to help treat my health. Slowly I've gone from 230lbs and a size 18/20 to 150 and a size 6/8, I only want to drop 20 more lbs. My next goal is to have a baby now that I'm finally healthy and got my PCOS mostly under control.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever really believed that losing weight was more about eating at a deficit than anything else. Over Christmas break I found the 'What Will I Look Like?' website & was totally blown away. It really hit me then that I had been making this far more complicated than it needed to be, & I decided that when I got back home after the holidays I would make a serious effort. Now it's been almost 100 days & I have no intention of going back to my old ways. :D
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I always hated the way that I looked, but the physical side of it was never actually enough fo rme to do anything about it (which I guess it why my current goals are still not fat loss related, but more sports oriented). For me, I went to the doctor when I was 25 years old and found out that I had high cholesterol (among other things). And the fact that I couldn't run a mile in under 13 minutes without feeling like I was going to pass out and die didn't help matters, either. I wanted to get in shape to make my health better and to be better and doing things (like run faster). Of course I wanted to look better, but if that's my only motivation I will just sit on the couch cause I'm happily married and he thinks I'm beautiful anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    For me, it was seeing the pictures from my cousin's wedding (on my profile) last September. Those pictures made me realize I hated how I looked and wanted my exterior to reflect how I felt, awesome. I completed my first 5k the week before, I felt great and was genuinely happy for the first time. However, seeing that picture was a slap in the face. I made a folder on my computer marked before, and forgot about it. I joined a gym in November as I wanted to run an entire 5k, but wasn't really serious about going. On January 8th I opened the MFP app and started logging. I have not stopped. I am 41lbs down and don't see myself stopping until I reach my goal. I started going to the gym regularly and I feel great.
  • allietuge
    allietuge Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My best girlfriends gender reveal party was my turning point. I saw a picture that was taken that night with all my girls and I just cried. I felt that I didn't look that big and it was just horrible! I have that picture on my phone and I look at it everyday to remind me why I'm changing my ways for good!
  • blackmax78
    blackmax78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In the hospital for 3 days hooked up to insulin drip for the first night and antibiotics for all of it, finding out I had diabetes. No one to blame but myself. A lot of anger and self hate going on right then and for the next couple months. Had suicidal thoughts, very depressed. dropped 9lbs a week for 3 weeks, then found mfp.

8 months later and off all medications, blood sugar under control.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Mine was a double whammy of buying (finally admitting) I was a size 20 on my 26th birthday, and then also getting a scary health screening at work where I was in the at risk category in everything. Blood pressure, weight, hip to waist, cholesterol, you name it and I failed.

It finally clicked how big I had gotten and how little I would get to live and enjoy my youth. I finally decided that no temporary pleasure of putting something in my mouth was worth living life like that.

I decided to find out about weight loss surgery. I found out, but found out that for insurance to cover it I'd have to stay that same weight got three full months. That was almost enough to make me suicidal because of how unhappy I was. So I decided to give it one last all our nothing go on my own. 6 months later and I'm down 75 lbs and thinking about entering maintenance in another 15-20. No surgery, just me. Changing my own life before I lost it.
  • StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options
    I can connect with practically every post above.

What annoys me is why I left it for so long, why did I not notice/ignore it when I was 95-100-110kg etc etc.....

But that was then and this now; from today (and I have said this so many times before) I am really gonna do this.

It is my 40th birthday on August the 1st and I want to have a party and I want friends who haven't seen me for a while to be wowed by a new me. Not for any self gratification or something but I think if people notice and comment then I must achieved something right?

Thing is, am I now spending too much time here on MFP when I should be out exercising?
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump for later....gotta go to work:sad:
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Ended up in the hospital is how.
    Decided I would rather live than be lazy and shovel food into my gob.
    Don't want my toes to fall off.
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have neglected my weight/health for years. My wife and I separated (although still live in the same house) a couple of years back and it has taken me a while to get into the mindset of doing things for “me” instead of for “us”, and now that I have, the first thing I want to do (for me) is to get thinner and healthier before I hit 40 next year, so I can enjoy my life and my childrens' lives in a better state than I have always done up to now.

It’s only been 5 weeks so far and I have got a long way to go but I already feel far healthier than I ever have done before.

And (I guess like most people) I wish I had done this sooner.
  • LindaDee1969
    Options
    When my husband and I were talking about losing weight (like we always would nonchalantly), and then it became serious......he grabbed my hand, looked me in the eyes and said "I'm overweight, but you're the kind of overweight that people die from".

That was March 10th, and that's the day I joined MFP.

I needed that wake up call and to see his real care and concern for me made me realize that being super morbidly obese wasn't just affecting me, it was affecting him and could possibly end my life sooner if I continued in the direction I was going.

That is genuinely touching! And I felt my heart thud when I read this. I get it!
  • LindaDee1969
    Options

I look at clothes and I think to myself.. "I can not wait to come back for you"..

This actually made me giggle! At my size if I said this it would be a threat to the cloths in question.. Loved your post! Thanks!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!