Trying to understand weight loss rate

Options
I have been actively changing my lifestyle since around October. I got a personal trainer, completely changed my food, stopped eating out all the time (which is what got me gaining weight). I started at 165 lbs at the beginning on November, and I'm now around 154-155. My diet is 1500 *total* calories per day (20-25% fat, 30-35% carbs, 45% protein). I work out 6x a week, in which 2x is with the trainer (full on weights) and the rest of the days is some cardio on fat-burn mode and 2-3x a week a group class (Insanity class or total body workout).
So, it's been slow, steady progress. However, I have never been able to lose weight at the average rate (1 pound/week). I understand I didn't have a ton of amount to lose, but I'm 5'5 and 165 is pretty heavy. So I thought at least at the beginning I would see a good rate, but the pattern has been 1.5-2 pounds per month. Even then, it's been the only time where I have seen some really good pace, because everything else I had tried before didn't even guarantee a pound a month. So I'm thankful, but I do wonder if this is always going to be the problem. I'm just 26, so I should be having a "higher" metabolism than whenever I hit 40s, 50s. What could be affecting this? I just worry about losing baby weight in the future, or losing when I'm older. Oh, and I just got my thyroid levels measured and everything is normal, so it shouldn't be a factor.

I dont' really use the diary here, so I'm going to give a sample of my average day
Breakfast: Whole wheat bun, lean ham, cheese made with 2% milk, 2 egg whites, coffee
Lunch/Dinner: Mashed potato (nothing addded) with turkey meat (and I do measure/weigh everything)
Snacks: cup of strawberries / yogurt with almonds / protein shake

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough to properly fuel your body so it could burn the pounds away. You workout 6 days a week but your food seems a little on the low end. My suggestion is to set up your profile in MFP and start tracking as accurately as possible (food, exercise, water, and measurements). Only then you'll be able to spot problems that are affecting your weight loss. You body may also be retaining water as well.
  • nespinosa3
    nespinosa3 Posts: 116
    Options
    You may not be eating enough to properly fuel your body so it could burn the pounds away. You workout 6 days a week but your food seems a little on the low end. My suggestion is to set up your profile in MFP and start tracking as accurately as possible (food, exercise, water, and measurements). Only then you'll be able to spot problems that are affecting your weight loss. You body may also be retaining water as well.

On MFP, it put me at 1300 calories to lose 1/2 pound a week. So I thought on average I could eat back 200 cals from my workout. It's weird because 1500 is enough that I don't feel weak during my workouts, I feel well fed, but not so much that I'm never hungry. And I always wonder if I weren't eating enouhg, maybe I wouldn't be losing at all? I'm so confused.
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, are you netting 1500 calories? I'm 5'6, also netting 1500, and losing (slowly but surely), but starting at 145, so I have even less to lose but still its enough food to be losing at my weight. I eat anywhere between 1800-2200, usually hovering around 1500-1700 net after my workouts. If you're eating a total of 1500 calories and then on top of that working out 6 days a week, then I'd say you're definitely eating to little and you may want to try reverse dieting. That would probably net you less than 1200 calories, the recommended intake for a 6 year old! (BTW, don't listen the MFP recommendations, you're right to not go by the 1300!)

If not though, and you're counting the exercise calories burned into the 1500, maybe check the source of your food. Try eating simpler foods with fewer ingredients because too many chemicals, pesticides, and fillers can make your metabolism go awry. Sort of already sounds like you are, so in that case then make sure you start logging everything, perhaps there's a weak point somewhere in there!

One more thought -- are you drinking enough water? (2-3 liters/day?) Dehydration is the biggest factor that can cause a slow metabolism.
  • s_dash
    s_dash Posts: 6
    Options
    Are you tracking your measurements? Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're building up muscle, tracking weight may not reveal much to you on how much your body is changing?
  • nespinosa3
    Options
    Calories:
    I am eating a total of 1500. I have thought about the possibility that I'm eating too little, but I am so scared of increasing that and gaining weight, since it's taken soooo long to lose it. I don't know how to distinguish between a- this is just my body, it just goes slow; b- eating too little so it's struggling

Water:
    I'm making an effort to drink at least 80 ounces of water a day, and have been doing it for months.

Weight/measurements:
    I measured my body fat % (skinfold test) on December and in March, and it went down almost 2% (currently around 27.7%). My measurements have changed and my arms/legs are looking different. My waist got down 2 inches at the beginning, but honestly has not changed that much over the last few months. So I'm definitely looking/feeling different but don't see that much change on the scale. That's why I wonder if I was eating too little, would I be seeing this weight loss? Or is it possible to see a slow weight loss and then, when calories get increased, see a faster progress?
    I also recognize that I'm doing weights, so that may be part of it...but then, how do people lose the weight even with strength training? I honestly just don't want to be in the 150s anymore :S
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I dont' really use the diary here, so I'm going to give a sample of my average day

You don't use the diary. That's probably half the problem here.
    Weigh your food. Log it consistently everyday.
    Chances are, you're eating more than you think if you're 1) Not weighing your food and 2) Not logging. How do you *really* know you're eating 1500 calories if you're not accurately logging? At best 1500 is just a guess until you exercise some consistency.
  • nespinosa3
    Options

Chances are, you're eating more than you think if you're 1) Not weighing your food and 2) Not logging. How do you *really* know you're eating 1500 calories if you're not accurately logging? At best 1500 is just a guess until you exercise some consistency.

I'm not using the diary, but I am logging everything. I maintain a spreadsheet every day, where I have a list of all my foods, how much they weighed/measured, and I have done the research on the database here for the calories/fat/carbs/etc. Trust me, this is not a logging/measurement problem. I keep account of *everything*, even those days when I go over or ate out (I look up the nutritional info online).
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I suggest cutting out wheat, dairy, and sugar for a couple weeks and see how you respond. I'd also cut back a little on the cardio and replace it with some type of resistance training.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The body is a funny thing. If you eat too much, you'll gain weight. If you eat too little, you don't lose or gain over time. Muscles and fat weigh the same but muscles are more condensed than fat so it takes up less room. This is the reason you loss inches instead of pounds. You might want to consider increasing your calories with fruits, veggies, and low fat nuts or something similiar. Try a 100 calories at a time. Track everything and it will be less confusing once you see the pattern of your activities.

Don't get stress because this is about trial and error.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I'm not using the diary, but I am logging everything. I maintain a spreadsheet every day, where I have a list of all my foods, how much they weighed/measured, and I have done the research on the database here for the calories/fat/carbs/etc. Trust me, this is not a logging/measurement problem. I keep account of *everything*, even those days when I go over or ate out (I look up the nutritional info online).

Then based on your activity level, I would suggest increasing your calories. You probably have a calorie deficit that is too aggressive. At 1500 calories, and doing some pretty good exercise based on what you listed, you're probably barely netting 1200 calories, if at all. But 1200 NET, if you are getting that, isn't appropriate for your height and weight.

If possible try to figure out what you are Netting (1500-Exercise). That should give you a ballpark at where you are at. If it's around 1200 calories, you should increase your calories.
    You can also use something like Scooby's calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

This will give you how many calories your should be eating with your exercise factored in. Be honest with how much you're working out. I put your stats in and it gave me nearly 1800 calories to lose weight with moderate exercise. That's a pretty big difference from your 1500.

So yeah, really consider your calorie deficit. Try doing 1800ish for 4-6 weeks and see how things pan out and re-*kitten* if you're not losing at the rate you're supposed to with that.

edited for spelling :P
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    First of all, 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per month is good! And as long as you are still losing, you are making progress, so do not stress too much over the pace of weight loss. I am 5'6", 68 years old and I exercise less than you do. I have been losing an average of 3/4 lb a week on 1800 calories per day plus eating back most of my exercise calories. If you are sure you are measuring and logging your food correctly, I suggest changing your macros to 35% protein, 35% fat and 30% carbs for a while to see if that helps. If it does, then try increasing your total calories very gradually. 1500 calories a day sounds very low for your level of activity.
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, are you netting 1500 calories? I'm 5'6, also netting 1500, and losing (slowly but surely), but starting at 145, so I have even less to lose but still its enough food to be losing at my weight. I eat anywhere between 1800-2200, usually hovering around 1500-1700 net after my workouts. If you're eating a total of 1500 calories and then on top of that working out 6 days a week, then I'd say you're definitely eating to little and you may want to try reverse dieting. That would probably net you less than 1200 calories, the recommended intake for a 6 year old! (BTW, don't listen the MFP recommendations, you're right to not go by the 1300!)

If not though, and you're counting the exercise calories burned into the 1500, maybe check the source of your food. Try eating simpler foods with fewer ingredients because too many chemicals, pesticides, and fillers can make your metabolism go awry. Sort of already sounds like you are, so in that case then make sure you start logging everything, perhaps there's a weak point somewhere in there!

One more thought -- are you drinking enough water? (2-3 liters/day?) Dehydration is the biggest factor that can cause a slow metabolism.

MFP sets net calories and expects you to eat back exercise calories. It isn't wrong, so "don't listen [to] the MFP recommendations" is an uninformed suggestion.

you're only eating back 200 calories regardless of how many cals you burn? that may be where you need to make adjustments.
    i know i burn about 300 cals during about 30 minutes of walking, so eating back 200 calories might be appropriate for me, but from what you've listed you're doing a lot more than 30 minutes of walking.

I also prefer to use the my TDEE numbers. This link helped me calculate them and I calculated them for light activity (my lazy days) and very active (I will often workout 3 times a day).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Good luck .
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem. You said all of this:

1) You set your MFP deficit to lose 1/2 pound per week. You are losing 1.5 - 2 pounds per month. So you are right on target.
    2) Your body fat % is down 2% in 3 months. Good work.
    3) Your waist is smaller.
    4) Your arms are changing.
    5) You look and feel different!!!!!

You are a success story. Keep up the good work.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calories:
    I am eating a total of 1500. I have thought about the possibility that I'm eating too little, but I am so scared of increasing that and gaining weight, since it's taken soooo long to lose it. I don't know how to distinguish between a- this is just my body, it just goes slow; b- eating too little so it's struggling

Water:
    I'm making an effort to drink at least 80 ounces of water a day, and have been doing it for months.

Weight/measurements:
    I measured my body fat % (skinfold test) on December and in March, and it went down almost 2% (currently around 27.7%). My measurements have changed and my arms/legs are looking different. My waist got down 2 inches at the beginning, but honestly has not changed that much over the last few months. So I'm definitely looking/feeling different but don't see that much change on the scale. That's why I wonder if I was eating too little, would I be seeing this weight loss? Or is it possible to see a slow weight loss and then, when calories get increased, see a faster progress?
    I also recognize that I'm doing weights, so that may be part of it...but then, how do people lose the weight even with strength training? I honestly just don't want to be in the 150s anymore :S

Who did your skin fold testing? You mention that "I measured my body fat". Since one of the skin fold sites is the triceps area, it's anatomically impossible for a woman to accurately measure herself.

If the trainer did it, and we assume it's reasonably accurate, then you have an estimated lean mass of 113 lbs, which is higher than average for your height. That just means that your target weight at any given body fat % is going to be higher than average as well.

I am very skeptical in general of the "eating too little argument" in general, but especially when someone is eating 1500 calories a day. It's not impossible and it doesn't hurt to occasionally take "diet breaks" where you eat at maintenance for a few days to kind of "reset" your hormones, but it's used too often as a convenient excuse.

Even though you are working out 6 days per week, I'm not sure you are doing as much exercise as you think. If you are lifting weights, then your trainer sessions are not generating a huge burn. If you are doing "fat burn" level cardio, you are likely in the 350-400 calories per hour on those days (you don't mention the duration of those workouts, but if they are shorter than 60 min of paced intensity,then total burn for those sessions is not huge). You also mention doing classes which tend to consist of intermittent activity and often don't burn as much as people think. It's possible that your total exercise calorie burn per week is around 1500, which is enough to see steady progress, but the progress will be slower.

It also looks like your eating plan is unbalanced. 45% protein is like 170 g of protein per day. 100 is plenty. Your plan also seems devoid of any vegetables or healthy grains, and it sounds like a lot of processed meats.

To put things in perspective, you are losing steadily, so technically nothing you are doing is "wrong". There are some ways to improve the overall balance of your exercise and eating plan, if you want to try some new things.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    I highly doubt that at 1,500 calories you are eating so little that it would hinder your progress. You can get enough nutrition on that many calories a day to prevent the problems caused by eating too little. Even if your deficit is large, that should make weight loss increase, not decrease. There's the fact that our bodies adapt to diets by lowering metabolism so the longer you are dieting for, the harder it becomes to lose at a standard rate. Sometimes you just have to accept that the closer you are to your goals, the slower the weight will come off, unless you are adjusting calories accordingly. If your metabolism has slowed, your deficit won't be as large as when you first started. Your leptin levels also decrease after dieting for long periods and this makes your body more resistant to losing weight. Also, if you're not hungry and have enough energy it's unlikely that you're eating too little. When our bodies aren't getting enough fuel they respond by increasing hunger and making us more tired to conserve energy.

There are a number of factors that can influence weight loss rate such as hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, genetics, muscle mass...I honestly don't think you're eating enough fat. I see you're eating egg whites, why?? The yolk is the part with all the nutrients in it! Your sample menu is severely lacking in fat and you need to be getting essential fats regularly. Many people find that upping their omega 3s speeds up weight loss. I didn't see any veg on your sample menu either. Those are some small changes you could try and see if your progress speeds up and you might find reducing refined and processed foods helpful.

You can also try revving up your metabolism, leptin and thyroid by eating at maintenance for a few weeks and see if that helps.