lose belly fat without weights?

Options
Hi all! I asked a question awhile back about being skinny, but still having a belly and the answers I got, was to start weight training to lose the extra fat. Well my problem is that I'm currently unemployed (Been having so much trouble finding a job, it's beyond stressful :ohwell: ) so I can't afford a gym membership, Or the other groceries for a really good diet (living with my bfs parents, so they feed us currently) we do eat about 90% organic food, but I know I'm not getting enough good fats and I'm eating a lot of whole wheat. I do have a small barbell weight set, but it only goes up to 50 lbs:frown:

So I guess my question is:
Am I just SOL until I get a job, Or can I somehow make this work?

I'm 5'6", weigh 110lbs (I know, I'm under weight, but I'm so afraid to eat more because I don't have a way to get rid of the belly fat)
And I Run 2 miles five days a week(thinking about upping that to 4 miles a day). Along with some squats and dead lifts with my weights. .

Thanks in advance :smile: :heart:

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    just speaking to the running-keep 3 days at 2 miles and go on longer runs the other 3 days.
    Then if you can make one of the longer days your "long run" and increase your mileage here.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Do you track your calories? You are very small for 5'6. How much are you eating?
  • krys185
    krys185 Posts: 8
    Options
    Do core strength work. Sit ups, crunches, plank etc.
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    NoehmiEsquivel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am by no means trying to lose anymore weight lol. I absolutely love the way the rest of my body looks right now (with the exception of my stomach) I am trying to gain weight now that I've pretty much slimmed down, but since my stomach didn't slim down as much as my arms and legs did, I'm afraid to up my calorie intake. I was at 1200 calories a day, and am still here, I went up to 1500 for about a week and started getting afraid of my stomach getting bigger so I went back down to 1200 :(
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    Options
    My plan was to slim down then gain muscle weight, to get me up to the weight I should be for my height
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from calorie deficit. Upping the running will increase cardio exercise and hence caloric burn which should help. As far as weights, that is totally unnecessary (although it is good for fitness)... Use body weight exercises to assist with strength training needs, squats, push-ups, crunches, sit ups, lunges, etc. You can do anything that you can do at the gym, at home without weights ... You may have to be creative. For chin-ups, find a horizontal pole or tree branch and to chin ups. For dips, you can do seated dips on a chair, etc. A simple Internet search will help you find good options. tie a rope to a heavy object and throw the rope over a tree branch... Lift the object up by pulling down on the row... That is an overhead lat exercise you can do at home... Curls with buckets of water, etc. Any of these will substitute for Gym activities.

As far as losing belly fat, just keep eating at a deficit and it will go away. Crunches, leg lifts, push-ups, planks, sideways planks, all will develop the core muscles beneath the fat. Then when the fat is gone, you have lean muscle mass to show off...

Best wishes on every success.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Check out nerdfitness.com for some info on body weight training.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you are a member of your local public library, check out "You are Your Own Gym."

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/product-reviews/0971407614
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    Options
    Thanks every one! I'm definitely going to check those out/do some research as suggested. I'm such a noob when it comes to weightloss/muscle gain lol
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Your own body is a weight. Serious you can do every exercise you need with just bodyweight.

http://kickass.to/you-are-your-own-gym-the-bible-of-bodyweight-exercises-for-men-and-women-pdf-gooner-t7610842.html
  • dottyb1tchmouse
    dottyb1tchmouse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The only thing I could think of is that maybe you lost some weight and did it too quickly so your body ate into muscle along with fat.

Like other people have said, building muscle is the way to go.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Do core strength work. Sit ups, crunches, plank etc.

Why? You can't spot reduce. Great for core strength, does little for "losing belly fat"
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    body weight exercises can build muscles. I love planks and burpees. lunges. squats. all can be done without traditional "weights". Pushups.... my god, it goes on and on what you can do with just your own body. Even yoga poses can build some new muscle, if you don't have a lot of core muscle. I know I didn't when I started.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    you could do it with out any exercise at all.

its about that defecit, create it one way or another and just be consistent.

you can certainly do effective resistance training without any weight at all.

there is at least one guy on here thats been sucessfull even bulking with only bodyweight exercises.

its not as sexy as using wieghts and its a hell of a lot more grueling but it sure gets the job done.