I GET IT!!!! And I am disgusted:(

Options
2»

Replies

• motoxmom1
    Options
    Sorry to be a pain but I just read this thread and guess I am a little slow. I do not understand! Can someome break it down for me so that I get it. Right now on my home page it say 850 calories remaining Goal 1200 Food 525 Exercise -175 Net 350 but at the bottom of my food diary it says my goal is 1375 (my 1200 + my excercise) and I have 850 calories remaining. I thought I was supposed to eat my excerise calories so that means that I still have 850 calories for dinner and snacks. What am I missing???
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a pain but I just read this thread and guess I am a little slow. I do not understand! Can someome break it down for me so that I get it. Right now on my home page it say 850 calories remaining Goal 1200 Food 525 Exercise -175 Net 350 but at the bottom of my food diary it says my goal is 1375 (my 1200 + my excercise) and I have 850 calories remaining. I thought I was supposed to eat my excerise calories so that means that I still have 850 calories for dinner and snacks. What am I missing???

You understand it correctly. You have 850 left. If you eat all of those and don't exercise any more today, then your NET will be 1200, which is what you want it to be.

Calories remaining = goal + exercise calories - calories consumed
    Net Calories = calories consumed - exercise calories

You want calories remaining to be close to 0 at the end of the day, and Net calories to be close to your base goal (before exercise calories are added). It's okay if you don't eat ALL your exercise calories, but most people say that your NET calories shouldn't regularly be lower than 1200 or so.
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Thank you! I guess I was reading more into it than I should have. I always try to eat all of my exercise calories so I'm good to go!
  • brandnewgirl
    Options
    This just through me way off.I thought i was doing good and now i am all LOST!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    This just through me way off.I thought i was doing good and now i am all LOST!!!

Don't let a thread confuse you - basic idea is that you should be eating back some/most of your exercise calories. If you've been logging your exercise calories and trying to get close to your goal every day, then you're fine. MFP automatically adds those to your goal. The problem is that some people don't eat back any - they'll stick to 1200 calories/day no matter what (don't eat ANY of their exercise calories). If they workout and burn 600, they're really only getting 600 calories that day (1200 eaten - 600 burned) - not enough to fuel their body! They should be eating some of that 600 they burned. In the long run, this will slow the metabolism and hinder weightloss.