Protein help

Options
Okay...my diary is open. I KNOW I'm way over on carbs and sodium. I KNOW I've been eating too much processed junk. Life has been insane lately...and it's finally calming down. I've been stuck losing and regaining the same 2 pounds since November no matter what I do--and I still have 50+ to lose to be at the top end of "healthy" for my height.

I try to stick around 1500 calories a day, and do my best to not eat any exercise calories back. My doctor disagrees with me and says if I have any hope of losing any more weight I MUST drop it down and eat only 1200...but then I am starving all the time...so he's cuckoo. Besides, if I'm eating only 1200 and plateau, how would I lower my calories??? I try to work out 5x a week and burn about 600 calories when doing so.

I NEED help on ideas to get enough protein in my daily intake. I homeschool my kids, and volunteer my time a lot so my days are pretty busy. I can't be stuck at the stove all day cooking things. What are some quick and easy sources of protein I can get in that won't put me over my calorie budget?

Replies

• Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I usually keep hard-boiled eggs in the fridge. I also keep a large bag of individually wrapped frozen tilapia filets in the freezer (20g protein per 4oz). They thaw in warm water in minutes and can be grilled on a cooktop in about 5 minutes. Always have Zone protein bars in my cupboard (14g protein). I usually have honey-roasted peanuts and cashews handy as well. Use raw spinach in your salads, is it is a source of protein as well. :o)
  • mcafeekevin
    mcafeekevin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Anything against protein bars or shakes?
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So many options..all of them very tasty

Chicken
    Fish
    Lean meat
    Quinoa
    Beans
    Eggs
    Peanut butter
    Nuts
    Greek yoghurt

And of course protein powder.
  • garrettdave64
    garrettdave64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chunk light tuna packets in water give you 18g of protein (and 300g of sodium). +1 on the hard boiled egg or egg whites.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. You can easily do it on 1500, especially if that means you can actually stick with your healthy eating goals.
    Just to clarify, are you working out 5x/week and burning 600 calories over the course of a week (120 cal per workout)? If so, don't worry about eating back your calories. But if you're burning 600 calories per workout, I'd suggest eating back 1/3 to 1/2 of your burn. You'll have more energy throughout this weight loss process without slowing your loss by any significant amount.

My favourite quick, easy, and cheap protein sources:
    -plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and ricotta cheese
    -vanilla protein powder
    -canned tuna
    -grilled chicken and turkey breast meat
    -frozen edamame beans or pods
    -tofu
    -frozen tilapia or other white fish, frozen shrimp
    -extra lean pasture-raised ground beef
    -lentils, white beans, and chickpeas
    -eggs
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I buy roast chickens at Costco (Rotisserie chicken) for $5. When I get home I debone and take of the skin. I divide the chicken meat into two or 3 containers. I freeze some and put some in the fridge. I almost always have cooked chicken meat in the fridge ready to eat. I also keep boiled eggs in the fridge. And cheddar cheese and mozerella cheese sticks. I get canned wild salmon when it is on sale. I like it better than tuna.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I eat on average 1800-2000 calories a day, and I am burning apx 500 per day through exercise, and I lose about a pound a week.

For protein, I like greek yogurt (expensive though), eggs, and chicken. I throw a few chicken breasts in the crock pot with whatever seasoning I feel like. (Salsa works great for example) Then I let it cook until I can easily shred it. I stick it in the fridge and use it over salads, in a wrap, heck just by itself. 4 ounces of chicken has a TON of protein!

If you can afford the calories milk and cheese are also delicious ways to get added protein.
  • katemckenna5
    katemckenna5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think you know a great source of protein is meat. I was struggling getting protein because I hate being in the kitchen. I have found an amazing thing that helps me so much. It is called the T-fal Optigrill. You can make all sorts of meat in no time. One of the major bonuses is that you can put completely frozen meat and it cooks in no time! You literally put the meat on the grill and it lets you know when it's cooked. There is a light on the outside that tells you when the meat is rare, medium, or well done. I love it so much! You never have to turn the meat or even really look at it. You can fix your veggies while it cooks. I cook all of my meat for the week on Sundays and then I don't even have to think about it. It is so easy to hand wash, but the two grill plates easily snap out and are dishwasher safe. The unit does cost about $180, but if you have a Bed Bath and Beyond store near you they always have a 20 percent off coupon. Mine was about $145 I think. Totally worth it in my opinion!

PS. I do not work for this company. They have no idea how much free promotion they are getting off me! :) I just adore the product and it was everything they promised and has made my life so much easier!
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    Anything against protein bars or shakes?

No, nothing against them...just a lot of things are really difficult to get here in rural Japan. ::
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    You don't need to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. You can easily do it on 1500, especially if that means you can actually stick with your healthy eating goals.
    Just to clarify, are you working out 5x/week and burning 600 calories over the course of a week (120 cal per workout)? If so, don't worry about eating back your calories. But if you're burning 600 calories per workout, I'd suggest eating back 1/3 to 1/2 of your burn. You'll have more energy throughout this weight loss process without slowing your loss by any significant amount.

My favourite quick, easy, and cheap protein sources:
    -plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and ricotta cheese
    -vanilla protein powder
    -canned tuna
    -grilled chicken and turkey breast meat
    -frozen edamame beans or pods
    -tofu
    -frozen tilapia or other white fish, frozen shrimp
    -extra lean pasture-raised ground beef
    -lentils, white beans, and chickpeas
    -eggs

Burning approx 600 a workout.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll consider eating more...but I kind of feel like it defeats the purpose.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    I buy roast chickens at Costco (Rotisserie chicken) for $5. When I get home I debone and take of the skin. I divide the chicken meat into two or 3 containers. I freeze some and put some in the fridge. I almost always have cooked chicken meat in the fridge ready to eat. I also keep boiled eggs in the fridge. And cheddar cheese and mozerella cheese sticks. I get canned wild salmon when it is on sale. I like it better than tuna.

Don't the rotisserie chickens have high sodium though???
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    I eat on average 1800-2000 calories a day, and I am burning apx 500 per day through exercise, and I lose about a pound a week.

For protein, I like greek yogurt (expensive though), eggs, and chicken. I throw a few chicken breasts in the crock pot with whatever seasoning I feel like. (Salsa works great for example) Then I let it cook until I can easily shred it. I stick it in the fridge and use it over salads, in a wrap, heck just by itself. 4 ounces of chicken has a TON of protein!

If you can afford the calories milk and cheese are also delicious ways to get added protein.

2000 a day? Holy cow! I miss food so much...but I can only burn so much off.
    Thanks for the crockpot chicken idea!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    In japan, when we visited, I noticed that milk and diary products were quite hard to get hold of, so i don't know how easy this will be for you. However, we often had egg, rice and fish for breakfast which would be good and high protein,

When I'm low on protein I go for dairy or eggs usually. (because I tend to be heigh on carbs and low on protein and fat)

I remember meat being rather on the expensive side during our visit, but you may have more luck finding and eating some of the more common local sources of protein including soybean products including tofu and fish, which can both be really quick to cook

as you homeschool, maybe you can get your kid engaged in planning and preparing a balanced meal or two, including budgetting and sourcing locally? make it a family project

good luck

edit:
    looking at your diary, I also notice you're not eating very much in the way of green or leafy veg, I find that eating the volume of mixed veg helps me feel fuller for longer, whereas just eating hte protein and carbs isn't so satisfying, it also takes longer to eat, so I notice when I am full - lots of green veg can be eaten raw, or lighly steamed so it's really quick to prep
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Lean meat. (And fish, if you like that sort of thing.)
    Precooked chicken, ham and so on make it very easy to add to meals. Though if you're bothered by sodium (I'm not), do check the packets. One chain does chicken breast 'pieces' at £1 for 162g here - it has got some added water at that price, but there's something like 45g of protein in a pack and not much else macros-wise.
    Eggs typically have more calories from fat than protein.)

Personally I wouldn't worry whether my food has been processed or not. I don't like eating a lot of these foods raw with dirt still on them from the ground, so tend to do some 'processing' anyway :).
    I'm happy and try to have loads of carbs - providing I have or am going to meet my protein goals.
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I usually keep hard-boiled eggs in the fridge. I also keep a large bag of individually wrapped frozen tilapia filets in the freezer (20g protein per 4oz). They thaw in warm water in minutes and can be grilled on a cooktop in about 5 minutes. Always have Zone protein bars in my cupboard (14g protein). I usually have honey-roasted peanuts and cashews handy as well. Use raw spinach in your salads, is it is a source of protein as well. :o)

wow~if I didnt know better Id think I wrote this one!! I have all the same things, even down to the Zone bar!!
  • SkylerLickel
    Options
    I'm just starting out and clueless on what to eat. Thank you this was very helpful :)
  • alizamanuk
    Options
    Well this is what i do and it helps -

GET CHICKEN BREAST SLICED INTO THIN FILLETS -

SALAAD VARIOUS BE CREATIVE -

GET A GEORGE FORMAN GRILL - WHY ITS QUICK -

SEASON CHICKEN WITH SEA SALT AND PEPPER - YOU CAN RUB MIXES LIKE PIRI NANDOS WHATEVER -

GET A LITTLE OLIVE OILD RUB IN - KEEP STHESE IN YOUR FRIDGE AND FREEZER FOR LONGER -

WHEN YOU FEEL PEKISH THROW ONE INTO THE GRILL - BE CREATIVE YOU WILL BE AMAZED.

YOU CAN GET SALMON SLICES BY HEASTON CHEF BRAND INFUSED WITH LAPSANG TEA FROM WAITROSE ETC -
    SLICE OF THAT ON A LITTLE RYE BREAD ETC MAYBE SALAAD.

KEEP EXPERIMENTING YOU WILL BE FINE -
  • FaithsFood
    Options
    Lean meat. (And fish, if you like that sort of thing.)
    Precooked chicken, ham and so on make it very easy to add to meals. Though if you're bothered by sodium (I'm not), do check the packets. One chain does chicken breast 'pieces' at £1 for 162g here - it has got some added water at that price, but there's something like 45g of protein in a pack and not much else macros-wise.
    Eggs typically have more calories from fat than protein.)

Personally I wouldn't worry whether my food has been processed or not. I don't like eating a lot of these foods raw with dirt still on them from the ground, so tend to do some 'processing' anyway :).
    I'm happy and try to have loads of carbs - providing I have or am going to meet my protein goals.

Where do you buy those packets of chicken from? I live in the UK too and struggle to find cheap cooked chicken in the supermarkets.

To the OP, I find that eating greek yoghurt or houmous and vegetables (my faves are celery sticks, carrots, cucumber) are easy and relatively cheap ways of fitting protein in to my day! :)
  • changergirl
    Options
    I live in rural Korea so I feel your pain on getting some things. I found iherb.com and it has solved all of my protein needs, I order protein powder and have a coffee protein shake every morning for breakfast, it has 30 grams of protein!

I have 2 boiled eggs for a snack almost every day as well.