Minimalistic Running Shoes?

Options
What are some good brands of minimal running shoes? I'm not interested in the Five Fingers, but want something more enclosing of my foot. I'm wanting something close to zero drop or possibly zero drop altogether. I'm thinking about training for a half marathon (currently recovering from IT band issues- on the uphill slide-WOHOO!), but an also considering doing a triathlon instead so I'm not constantly working on running- also do twice a week heavy weight lifting. Would it be worth it to buy some or should I just stick with my Asics Kayanos? Thanks in advance. :)

Quick note: Yes, I plan on SLOWLY switching over from my Asics to minimal shoes.

Replies

• Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    I've looked into the Innov-8 brand of shoes after hearing so many good things, but yet to commit. I've also got Kayanos and just worried about how drastic that change will be on my legs! I think it'll take some time before you become fully accustomed, so wouldn't go planning a tri/HM in the short term. Let us know what you end up doing...will be interested to hear how you went!
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i'm a huge fan of the new balance minimus line. my second pair ended up being a trail version bc i wore down the bottoms of the first so fast!!

can't comment on the running part - totally not me. :)
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I will for sure let you know what I end up getting. I have a pair of zero drop hiking shoes that I use for walking and hiking and love them. I will check out the ones you guys have suggested for sure :) Thanks!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i'm a huge fan of the new balance minimus line. my second pair ended up being a trail version bc i wore down the bottoms of the first so fast!!

can't comment on the running part - totally not me. :)

I have these- they have a vibram bottom- but I was a little disappointed with how the rubber do-dads on the bottom held together- my actual vibram shoes are a much better quality than the NB.

But I do like my minimus shoes- just wish for a 80$+ dollar shoe they weren't so shoddily put together.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Asics makes a more minimal 6mm drop shoe, the Gel Lyte 33, I only know because I wear them. Also, Altra, Mizuno, Innov-8, Pearl Izumi, and actually now that I think about it, pretty much every major Running shoe manufacturer, except maybe Hoka, makes a minimal drop shoe.

Edit: Sorry you said good and I just shotgunned it. I like Mizuno and the Asics though my Asics are wearing out too quickly so I will likely change. I have heard good things about all that I listed I just can't back it up with actual experience.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i've been considering actual vibram five fingers... but my toes aren't exactly normal (i can thank genetics for bunions). need to find my way to a store to try them on and see. hoping the bottoms don't wear out quite as fast.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Asics makes a more minimal 6mm drop shoe, the Gel Lyte 33, I only know because I wear them. Also, Altra, Mizuno, Innov-8, Pearl Izumi, and actually now that I think about it, pretty much every major Running shoe manufacturer, except maybe Hoka, makes a minimal drop shoe.

Edit: Sorry you said good and I just shotgunned it. I like Mizuno and the Asics though my Asics are wearing out too quickly so I will likely change. I have heard good things about all that I listed I just can't back it up with actual experience.

Hoka do a minimal drop shoe, but unlike most of the other minimal drop shoes, they don't also have minimal sole.

I like my innov-8's I've got a set of trail roc 235's which are 3mm drop
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i've been considering actual vibram five fingers... but my toes aren't exactly normal (i can thank genetics for bunions). need to find my way to a store to try them on and see. hoping the bottoms don't wear out quite as fast.
    I like my fivefingers, but they definitely take some getting used to (sore calves, a few blisters...). I've actuall started cycling every other day now to give my feet a rest. (I only got back into running a couple weeks ago, so I haven't built up enough callouses yet). The farthest I've ran in them was 13k las year, keeping to a pair of new balance running shoes for longer distances. This year, I think I'll stick with the vibrams though, see how it goes...
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like the New Balance Minimus line, but I haven't tried much of anything else. I have a pair of Minimus running shoes that I love and have run quite a bit in. I also have a pair of Minimus trail running shoes that I have used a bit and ran an obstacle race in. I like both pair quite a bit and have been looking at buying more.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I liked the barefoot running, but because of shorter leg, require full length shoe lift, and that's not happening in Merrill trail gloves which I really liked, and VFF which were good up to 6 miles then caused blisters.
    Also, for longer runs, wanted actual padding, but as close to 0 lift.

Like the Skechers GoBionic, and on 3rd set of Saucony Kinvara 3.

I've always enjoyed this guys honest reports on the minimalist shoes.

http://runblogger.com/2013/06/recommended-zero-drop-cushioned-road.html

Edit - better link for the 3 catagories.
    http://runblogger.com/recommended-running-shoes
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I 2nd the newbalance minmus. they have a 4mm drop, but the are unlike my brooks pure cadence2's which are also 4mm.

Newton's also have 3mm drops.

If you can get yoruself to running store and try them on and see the differenc.

the newbalance are more flexible and have less cushioning, while the books have more support and more cushioning.

I don't own the newbalance yet, but they are on my list of shoes to get.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options

OMG You resemble Emma Watson, big time! :flowerforyou: