What is the best exercise machine to buy ?

Options
If I bought an exercise machine, to workout at home, what would be the best for a workout ?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    It would be the road that starts at your home. You dont even have to pay for delivery charges.....
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Whichever one your going to use and enjoy
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Whichever one your going to use and enjoy
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Adjustable dumbbell set and a jump rope. Far better value for money than treadmills etc. Enjoyment is also a huge factor, no point getting something you won't end up using.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It would be the road that starts at your home. You dont even have to pay for delivery charges.....

Got to agree with this, buy a good pair of running shoes. I've yet to see a home cardio machine that doesn't end up in a corner collecting dust
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Gym membership! Unless you have thousands of pounds to spend on equipment, the cheap stuff is just not worth it.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor. Go run outside and see the world.
  • blahblah1990
    Options
    A squat rack! :)
  • RhysJ13
    RhysJ13 Posts: 72
    Options
    Running shoes.
  • TheHuntsmin
    Options
    I would say a cross trainer would be the most ideal machine for home use. If you live in a rea with decent paving then buying a running machine would be pointless.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    A barbell and some plates!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Power cage, adjustable bench, barbell, two dumbbell handles and plates.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Adjustable dumbbell set and a jump rope. Far better value for money than treadmills etc. Enjoyment is also a huge factor, no point getting something you won't end up using.

This!

You will get good results with this minimal equipment
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A bike and go ride the roads and explore the area you live
  • franknorvig
    Options
    As you've probably already noticed from the answers above, it all depends on the individual preferences :) It all comes down to what kind of workout you enjoy (so you'll stick to it) and the only person who can answer that is you.

If you prefer working out at home, know that you can do 90% of your training without any equipment at all. Throw in a dumbbell if it's too easy, but you'll be surprised how much you can do with your own bodyweight.
  • flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do?

Sorry, I should have said - my treadmill has just died ! And I used to walk 5-8 miles every day on that, I have arthritis so am not allowed to run and I have to stay at home a lot of the time to answer phones due to work, so I thought instead of replacing treadmill, I would try another machine, that I can use inside.
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds silly, but I started out kind of marching in place while I watch a movie on TV. Now I jog in place. No equipment needed. I use a Fitbit tracker and try for a minimum of 10,000 steps a day.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think that it is important to have a "no excuses" device.

At times you can makes excuses and skip walking/running outside. I'll run in the rain and some cold, but extreme cold, downpours, or blistering heat I'd rather not.

With extreme DOMS or something hurt, I' might not be able to do any useful strength training.

Sometimes life happens and I get a little drunk earlier in the day.

If I have a workout planned, I don't skip it. I've got a no excuses device (a treadmill), at bare minimum I can walk for a few minutes. With it there is absolutely no valid excuse to skip a workout. Any cardio device could work, though bikes and treadmills are the easiest.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should have said - my treadmill has just died ! And I used to walk 5-8 miles every day on that, I have arthritis so am not allowed to run and I have to stay at home a lot of the time to answer phones due to work, so I thought instead of replacing treadmill, I would try another machine, that I can use inside.

Sounds like you're looking for something to do cardio on. I have a Spin bike and love it. You can run out of the saddle on them, adjust them to many different resistances, and there's no electronics to break and if they do break (which is rare with home use), they're fairly easy to repair. A bike might be a better alternative for you anyway, depending on where you have arthritis. Running is just so hard on the joints, even when using a treadmill.