Do you run/workout on your lunch break?

Options
I'd like to start running during my lunch break at work, the problem is, I sweat like crazy while working out and we don't have a shower in our office space/building. At most this will be 2-3 days a week and I have my own office, so I guess I can stew in my own deodorant covered BO for a few hours, but occasionally I do have to interact with people.

Does anyone have some advice on what they do when they can't shower after a workout?

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I workout during my lunch break as it's the only time I can and yep I get ya because even at the gym where I can shower I don't ever have time to so I obviously make sure I change into work out clothes, and then when i change back into my work clothes I wipe myself down with a wet washcloth thow on new deoderant and change back into my work clothes.

Hope this helps!
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes! Learned that trick on a deployment when showers were not always available. Just suggest you get the unscented ones...hard to explain the baby powder scent sometimes
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch break as I just need a bit of time away from the office. I find it is enough to get my circulation moving a bit more, to keep my mind functioning and break the cycle of sitting at my desk for too long.
    I workout when I get home and can get as sweaty as I like!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Before I started going to the gym on lunch, when I would run, I would try to cool off before changing back into work clothing and use body wipes to get the stinkiest parts cleaned up. I think it worked OK....at least no one complained. Now I use the gym in the building so I shower after every sweaty workout/run.
  • martineyes26
    martineyes26 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this as I have been walking on my lunch hour for awhile now and with the temps gradually getting warmer, the sweat increases. I have started bringing a change of clothes which helps, but sometimes it isn't enough. I've found that a fan in my office and clinical strength deodorant are key ingredients as well. I'd love to start running, but not sure I want to wear a ponytail the rest of the day, everyday. Good for you for getting it done during the work day! Looking forward to reading more posts :-)
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm active most lunch breaks (either cardio or lifting). We have a shower but I don't have time to take one. I just wipe myself with a towel and put some scented spray (Axe-type).

I'm looking forward to go out for a run until it gets too hot. Take a shower might be an idea then!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I will walk on lunch break and get some good perspiration and a little sweat going sometimes. I will wash my face a bit when this happens. A full out run without a shower is not advised at lunch breaks. It's pretty gross really.

I hope you figure it out.
  • Mara_83
    Mara_83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know at the Kroger near my house they sell sport wipes. It is essentially a baby wipe that is made for sweat removal and such after you have worked out and can't shower.
  • Just_Wil
    Just_Wil Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch break as I just need a bit of time away from the office. I find it is enough to get my circulation moving a bit more, to keep my mind functioning and break the cycle of sitting at my desk for too long.
    I workout when I get home and can get as sweaty as I like!

I need to squeeze my running training in sometime, I have a four hour total commute daily and sometimes don't get home til late. I figure this would be a good solution so I can spend some time with the family when I get home on my non-weight training days.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I thought about the baby wipes, but did not want to try and explain the sweaty face and baby powder smell to my co-workers when coming back from a long lunch. o_o
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I do but I work at a commercial facility where body odor really is not a issue becouse the facility is pretty smelly on its own. Also if need be I do have access to showers. I normally just wipe down and change cloths.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i dont usually get a lunch but....what i have been doing is going in to my work and walking for 45min to 1 hour. there is no one there but security (and cameras) it is indoor, so no excuse for not walking, climate controlled, and quiet so there is noone to stop me with office chat or other stuff. this has been a wonderful find for me...lots of people walk at malls but this is much better and there isnt fast food breakfast scents enticing through your exercise . Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My last place I worked had measured wooded walking/jogging trails around the building so on breaks and lunches we would walk on nice days. I could get a bit sweaty on warmer days and was hard to cool down, I do recommend the baby wipes if there is no showers or time to shower. Or just bring a wash clothe from home in a quart zip lock and wet it at the sink, then sponge bath off in a closed stall. (my work rarely had hot water so this didn't work) lol.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I workout during my lunch break as it's the only time I can and yep I get ya because even at the gym where I can shower I don't ever have time to so I obviously make sure I change into work out clothes, and then when i change back into my work clothes I wipe myself down with a wet washcloth thow on new deoderant and change back into my work clothes.

Hope this helps!

This is what I do, too!
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I work out just bout every day on my lunch break and just wipe down and give myself a few minutes to cool off before going to work. It's not perfect but worth it
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I workout on my lunch break too...with having little ones and a SO who works all sorts of weird hours, it's the only reliable time of day that I can do it.

We have a shower at our office (luckily), but on the days that it's in use and I need to get going, I'll wet a washcloth and clean out of the sink. That with some deodorant is usually enough to get through the rest of the day, although I don't feel quite as good as if I can get a full shower.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    After a run on lunch I will go inside, change back into my work clothes, add fresh deoderant, and use a washcloth to wipe my hair and body down.

if it's super hot outside, after I wipe myself off and put on deoderant and change and all that goodness I sit in my car with the A/C cranked on to make sure I stop sweating :) I LOVE running on lunch
  • NinstonBiller
    NinstonBiller Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've tried and it has been such a pain. I live on the east coast but my accounts/ clients are on central time so the only time i can leave the office is 1pm my time (12pm their time) when they're on lunch. My gym is 10 minutes down the road so i end up taking 20 minutes to drive to and from and 10 minutes to change clothes so that leaves 30 mins to really workout ... i'd rather wait till 5PM to workout for the full hour ya know? But it's a great way to boost morale and speed up the day.

I do pushups at my desk every hour. Working my way up to 400 a day.
  • Just_Wil
    Just_Wil Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback everyone! I'll definitely have a change of clothes and I'll get some unscented wipes and a washcloth and see what works.

Also, add me as a friend if you like. :)
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I try to get a walk in, about 30 min./ 2-/+ miles.
    Alas, today its raining. No walk for me.
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes! Learned that trick on a deployment when showers were not always available. Just suggest you get the unscented ones...hard to explain the baby powder scent sometimes

I would suggest this ^^^^ Baby wipes, deodorant. I walk on my lunch break through the greenhouses and I can get pretty sweaty depending on the weather.