I hate my scale

Options
I went to an amusement park for my Birthday this past weekend. No, I didn't eat super healthy, but I didn't go crazy with the carnival-style, greasy foods (alright, now that I'm going back and reading this, maybe I did)either. Friday, I had a nice dinner at a rib/bbq place but didn't stuff myself and some Chinese delivery later that evening. Saturday, a bowl of cereal at the hotel, burger and fries at the park, and a funnel cake sundae-come on, it was my birthday. Sunday on the way home, I had a kids meal at KFC.

Let me tie this in, too. I got on every coaster at the park more than once, even some rides I said I would never get on. Some were very rough, and even now on Tuesday, my ribcage feels sore to the touch, and I think the six-miles my pedometer counted for walking in the park has left my calves really sore and very firm.

I was 203 when we left on Friday morning. I was 209 on Monday. I know for a fact with all that walking, even with the relatively bad eating, that I didn't put on six pounds REALLY. I drank about 4 bottles of water while in the park too. Maybe it wasn't enough.

So, is it the combo of bad eating, incredibly sore muscles... and maybe a broken rib, attributing to the number jump on the scale?

Replies

• mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You are probably just retaining a lot of water from the sodium, honestly. Obviously you didn't gain six pounds of fat in one weekend. Get back on track and try weighing yourself next week, I'm sure it will be gone.
  • blahblah1990
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend stepping on the scale as our weight is constantly changing. Try getting your body fat measured by a professional once every couple of months since this would be a more accurate weigh of knowing how much muscle and body fat your body has..
  • Mau_Hutch
    Mau_Hutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely a combo of the two. If a muscle is sore it means it is retaining water. When mine are sore, I weigh at least 2 lbs above what I normally weigh and sometimes as much as 4 lbs. I'm guessing that if an injury is sore it would mean the same thing.

And every restaurant meal will contain tons of sodium causing a day or two of water retention even without the other things. Within a few days, you'll be down again.

hang in there!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It's probably a combination of sore muscles, and the high sodium foods. Drink your water and get plenty of rest. It will go away.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    So, is it the combo of bad eating, incredibly sore muscles... and maybe a broken rib, attributing to the number jump on the scale?

Bad/too much eating contributes towards weight loss? Am I missing a trick?
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale. Stick to your program- Live the Healthier Life- You will loose.
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Totally a combination!

Last week I ate within my limit from Monday to Saturday.. didn’t go over once! Then on Sunday night after an 18KM run, I treated myself to some Chinese Buffet! Two plates of food and some dessert went down the hatch! The next morning I was up 6 pounds! Over the course of the next few days my weight dropped steadily and still ended up with a net loss for the week. It took a good 3-4 days to normalize after just one big meal!
    It happens, trust the process and the results will come! Life isn’t going anywhere, I’m sure you’ll find yourself at a carnival once again.. but now you know what to expect!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sodium! I am hearing some salt and possible inflammation. I hope you had a great birthday anyway and that your ribs are better soon!