Low carb - how strict?

Options
Hi

I've recently become convinced about the benefits of lowering carb consumption (to keep our blood sugar stable and reduce storage of extra sugar as fat) and increasing protein (for satiety and muscle growth).

I've ignored this theory for years and focused on low fat only but this makes so much sense to me now. And since I upped my protein and stopped eating Nakd (raw fruit bars) like they're going out of fashion, I've really benefited from feeling fuller despite eating fairly low cal.

For the first week or so I kept my carbs under 40g (total, I can't be doing with figuring out net carbs!) and my protein was about double. I bought keto testing strips and showed (lowish) signs of ketosis.

I'm veggie/semi-vegan and I follow certain rules anyway because I have MS, mainly focusing on types of fats and oils (low saturated fat and high good fats are key for me). It's kind of why I was scared to explore another theory restricting something else... I'm convinced I've figured out the kind of clean eating I want to follow...but this type of eating involves research. I got bored of the same meals and it's taking time for me to explore more meal options.

So after a week or so of strict low carbing I've started to introduce a bit more fruit, cereal etc and lolly ices are my treats! I haven't tested myself but doubt I'm in ketosis (carbs crept up to about 50-80g). For now at least, I plan to cut out bread and pasta (apart from occasional say weekly treats) and limit fruit in favour of more veg. I am focusing on cooking meals from scratch with ingredients such as: salad, all types of veg, quinoa, couscous, tofu, soya protein pieces, nut butters esp peanut butter, nuts (almonds, cashew), almond milk, flaxseeds and I recently discovered Zero Noodles!

So my question is this - does anyone else do lower carb if not all the way low carb? I guess lowER carb for now, until I expand my options is better than tonnes of carbs!

(Edit: My goal is weight loss as well as eating clean for health. My ticker says 3Ibs to go, that's my small goal. I've lost 38Ibs so far and have probably the same amount still to go!)

Replies

• deeoakes
    deeoakes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I myself had tried other diets of low fat in the past that did not work. I just wanted to binge and it never worked. I recently started a carb cycling program by Chris Powell and it has been amazing. He has several different programs to choose from but the idea is that one day you have carbs only with breakfast and the other days with all meals. Eating 5 times a day, every 3 hours to boost your metabolism. He also has 9 minute daily exercise routines to follow everyday for strength training. As an avid pasta and pastry eater I thought this would be tough. the first week was hard but after that its been smooth sailing. I don't crave the carbs like I used to. The program also allows for a "rewards" day in which you can have what you desire and not feel guilty. His book is called Choose More, Lose more for life. for the average female, the low carb days are around 1200 calories and the carb days are 1500. good luck
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation, will check that out. Yes I find reducing carbs means you cave them less. When I thought I was eating healthy with loads of fruit and fruit bars, wholemeal bread and pasta etc I felt I couldn't stop eating!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb by choice, not for any specific medical reason, and I try to eat around 5-8% of my daily calories as carbs, about 60-65% as fats, and 30-35% as proteins...although I focus on lowering the carbs moreso than the perfect ratio of fat and protein. I also focus on NET carbs (which is essentialy subtracting fiber and sugar alcohols from carbs...however it seems those affect people differently, especially, I have noticed, those with diabetes).

I have eaten low carb off and on for a few years...managed to keep it relatively off until I got pregnant with my son. I eat more veggies and more protein than before. It takes time to learn what has carbs and what doesn't and how much, so in the beginning I had a pretty boring diet, so give yourself time to find new foods and recipes.

I think finding what works for you is great, whether is low carb, or just lower carb...whatever gets you to that calorie deficit AND helpful any medical conditions, go for it and tweak how you need to. I used to eat low carb and still eat a banana for breakfast a day (I had no clue at the time that it is one of the fruits with the highest amounts of carbs), but its all about keeping your hunger in check to get you at a calorie deficit.

I would encourage you to find a low carb forum or a forum for those with MS. You aren't as strict in the carb amounts as most on the boards, but I think they will still be helpeful to you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've recently become convinced about the benefits of lowering carb consumption (to keep our blood sugar stable and reduce storage of extra sugar as fat) and increasing protein (for satiety and muscle growth).

I've ignored this theory for years and focused on low fat only but this makes so much sense to me now. And since I upped my protein and stopped eating Nakd (raw fruit bars) like they're going out of fashion, I've really benefited from feeling fuller despite eating fairly low cal.

For the first week or so I kept my carbs under 40g (total, I can't be doing with figuring out net carbs!) and my protein was about double. I bought keto testing strips and showed (lowish) signs of ketosis.

I'm veggie/semi-vegan and I follow certain rules anyway because I have MS, mainly focusing on types of fats and oils (low saturated fat and high good fats are key for me). It's kind of why I was scared to explore another theory restricting something else... I'm convinced I've figured out the kind of clean eating I want to follow...but this type of eating involves research. I got bored of the same meals and it's taking time for me to explore more meal options.

So after a week or so of strict low carbing I've started to introduce a bit more fruit, cereal etc and lolly ices are my treats! I haven't tested myself but doubt I'm in ketosis (carbs crept up to about 50-80g). For now at least, I plan to cut out bread and pasta (apart from occasional say weekly treats) and limit fruit in favour of more veg. I am focusing on cooking meals from scratch with ingredients such as: salad, all types of veg, quinoa, couscous, tofu, soya protein pieces, nut butters esp peanut butter, nuts (almonds, cashew), almond milk, flaxseeds and I recently discovered Zero Noodles!

So my question is this - does anyone else do lower carb if not all the way low carb? I guess lowER carb for now, until I expand my options is better than tonnes of carbs!

(Edit: My goal is weight loss as well as eating clean for health. My ticker says 3Ibs to go, that's my small goal. I've lost 38Ibs so far and have probably the same amount still to go!)

Luckily DNL isn't super common in humans, so you don't really have to go low carb to avoid it. so you could up your protein for satiety purposes and keep carbs moderate to high as well
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Wow 5-8% is low!! Yes I guess it gets easier over time once you start to explore new foods

What is DNL?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Wow 5-8% is low!! Yes I guess it gets easier over time once you start to explore new foods

What is DNL?

De novo lipogenesis
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 75 grams. No idea if I am in Ketosis or not but I am losing weight very well. I try to make most of my carbs come from fiber. I eat less then 5 grams sugar a day.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Of course I was just going to say do you mean the enzymatic pathway for converting dietary carbohydrate (CHO) into fat!

That's good to know!

That's quite low sugar Rainboot. The carbs you eat must be the decent type, well done!
  • IslandSeeker
    Options
    I'm doing the Primal lifestyle, having been recently convinced of the importance of low carb intake for myself based on past experiments on myself (omitting certain food items or lowering macros, such as carbs) and the research that I have read. I would think that with you being semi-vegan, going low carb is going to be very difficult but not impossible. You might just need to eat a lot of the same things each week with "special" dinners for the weekends or special occasions that have more carbs. For Primal, there are ranges for carb intake, I am sticking to the range of 50-80 per day. You may find that sticking to a range day-to-day is just a beneficial as a set number daily.

Good luck!