Exercising with Dogs

Options
1235»

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I exercise with my dog watching me, if that counts. The little pest (I call her a pest in the nicest way possible) insists on being with me in my room when I'm in there. As I work out, she watches me. When I get on the floor to do floor based exercises (crunches, sit ups, certain yoga moves, etc) she jumps to the floor and will paw my face, climb under me, climb on my chest, and sometimes even try to imitate the move to the best of her ability. That probably doesn't count, though. She's a weird dog.

I do make sure to walk my dogs. My mom's big girl gets walked every day when I'm at home (provided I feel well) for at least 20 minutes. I'd go for more, except she pulls sometimes (she's not as well trained as my two) and I'm a little person. My two get walked as often as I can. Usually, alos, 20 minutes at a time at least. Though, my one can sometimes go for an hour with no problem. And since I have mine trained to heel and never pull, I can walk them a lot longer with no strain.

Sometimes, I jog with the one. She loves jogging. I'll take her for a walk, and then randomly start jogging. She'll jog nicely at my side. We'll go five minutes, stop, walk again, then repeat. This is fun. But I don't do it on a regular basis.

I have a corgi mix (that's the weird dog who exercises with me) and a Pomeranian.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Our German Shepherd Rudy is almost 2 now, and I've been jogging with him for a few months. I'm pretty slow so he is effectively just trotting along. Even though we have always walked him, the trotting did tire him out to begin with, but he got very fit pretty quickly. We don't jog every day, but he certainly gets a walk every single day. I swear he knows how to spell 'walkies".

He seems very focused when he's trotting, as opposed to when he is walking. This is terrific, but I still slightly live in fear of him taking off or cutting in front of me.

Our old labrador wasn't too keen on moving too fast, but he could walk forever. We miss him dearly.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    We adopted this trembling tiny little puppy from the pound five years ago. Paco weighs 90 lbs. now! I had to take a dog training course with him so he wouldn't pull my arm off with the leash. He is very well behaved and obeys all commands. He is some kind of Rhodesian Ridgeback lab shepherd mix. Might have some rottie or pitbull because he's got the wrinkley skin on his face. He's very handsome with "mascara" around his eyes. I take him for walks in a field behind a residential complex. He loves it! We walk about three and a half miles 3 or 4 times a week. I can't go walking without him or I feel guilty. He knows when we're going walking when I put on my walking shoes, he gets all excited and freaky, it's so cute.

He is the best dog ever.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    My dog is a horrible spotter.
  • jmock87
    jmock87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I run with my (100lb or so) St Bernard/Rottweiler cross - a 32 mile ultra marathon by far the longest we've done yet last weekend.
    Also at my current contract I cycle to work with him running beside me - just under two miles each way.

I just use (the largest) 'flexi' extendable lead for both, generally. It's a bit heavy for running, but generally he's trained well enough he won't pull (or I could just have it not locked out), so I can move my arms while running.

IS that your pooch in your profile pic? If so, he is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

I cycle and run with my dog. He is a rottie x ridgeback. Took a while to teach him both, but he's awesome now! Spends 90% of our runs off the lead and just trots along, and the same with the bike. He did think it was all a huge game when I first tried to teach him, he was a rescue dog and had clearly never, ever been for a run or bike ride before. He doesn't bat an eyelid at runners and bicycles now, where as before he use to want to chase them!

Worst part is that he hasn't quite got the "inside command" meaning that he runs between the hedge and me and not on the road side. Can make for some sharp stops when he's weaving around trying to understand what I'm telling him!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Bro, Do your dogs even lift tho

2i6j289.png
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Labs, 1 chocolate (5 year old female, mother of the black one) and 1 black (3 year old female). My chocolate lab isn't that great on a leash and I don't enjoy walking her where she has to be on a leash. My Black lab on the other hand is wonderful, my kids call her my buddy. She goes everywhere with me. She runs with me, skis, snowshoes, hikes, does it all. I live way up North, and do a lot of hiking/snowshoeing on this hills where they don't need to be restrained, I take both of them then. I can't imagine going anywhere without my furball. Shes my companion, my protection, my buddy.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    HealthyishWithMaggieG Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend a good website to get information on agility training, please? I think my Akita mix would be great at it, but I don't know where to get started. In case it matters, I live in Columbus, OH, for now. I'm planning to move back to Fayetteville, NC, later this year.
    Although you can learn a little about agility on the web, I suggest that you sign up for a beginners agility class at a dog training club. Try searching for "agility dog training" for facilities near Columbus and Fayetteville. Most of the clubs have web sites with a list of classes. Contact the clubs, tell them you'd like to come watch an agility class, then go observe a class (without your dog). After class, talk to the instructor(s) to see if they're a good fit for you, and if you can, talk to some of the class participants too. I'd check out several different clubs and find one you're comfortable with. Some instructors might want you and your dog to take a basic obedience class at their facility before you start agility class.

I hope you find something that works for you and your dog...It's really fun!

Thanks for the advice!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly advise against doing agility on your own, no matter how tempting. You don't want to injure your dog, and that can happen even with the best intentions. You might not even see that he/she is injured. That happened to me (in a well-run class, by the way). Result: lifelong physical therapy every several weeks to give him the happiest, most pain-free life possible (which he has).

Sounds dramatic, but I'd really advise everyone to err on the safe side. We love our guys/gals!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    IS that your pooch in your profile pic? If so, he is GORGEOUS!!!!!!
    Yep, cheers.

Should note I went out for a quick 5k at the weekend to get him some exercise and had it off leash just fine for the whole trip - roads and off-road, but was on my own.

It was a bit cold and I wanted my hands in my muffs (motorcycle handlebar muffs on the push bike), so stuck the lead through my belt. Seemed to do well on that.
    His fitness has definitely improved a bit since last time I was working here - tonight he barely slowed down at all through the ride. Didn't have my phone recording, but a reasonable clip for a dog his size to keep going at.
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    Yea I have tried to run with my lab but he gets so excited he tries to jump on me lol. usually if we make it past the first half mile or so he settles down and runs next to me but that is rare. I usually end up walking fast with him or he is actually pretty good at doing sprints with me once he figures it out.
  • briynnwow
    Options
    I have 2 Japanese Chins (ankle-biter size) and unfortuately the boy has had arthritis since age 2 so we don't do much running. He loves when I chase him around the house though; it is his favorite game. As for the little girl, she loves running, hiking, and dancing. We went on a 7 mile hike once and she was still ready to keep going. She also likes when I hold her and do belly dancing.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have a Bluetick Coonhound and a Basset/Beagle Mix. I doubt they'll ever be running companions to me, but they're great for nice, long walks on an active rest day. :smile:
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I run with my two Husky crosses... I mentioned doing this last year and someone gave me a lot of grief over it. Very glad to see other people here who run with their dogs. :)

It can be hard on them. My vet recommended that they don't run longer than 30 minutes at a time and no more than 1 hour a day. Also, some breeds shouldn't run at all because they are prone to hip dysplasia and contrary to popular belief, running does not help prevent that. Also, after a certain age, running time should be significantly decreased.

I definitely don't run for more than 20 minutes with them at a time. I can run longer on my own but with the dogs, it's too much for me (and for them). Thanks for posting that though so other owners can be aware :smile:

With sled dog and cold weather types (newfies, pyrn, bern etc) types my biggest concern would be them over-heating, dogs (particularly large breeds) should really be running much prior to 18mnths because of joint issues that can be caused later in life, better to wait and be able to run with them later than screw up their joints at a young age.

I run with a ridgeback, 4yrs old, always trails, avoid the pounding tarmac (again for joints but thats just me, see plenty of dogs out pounding the tarmac)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I presume from the half St-Bernard side of my dog doesn't do so well in the heat - evening runs in the summer or keep to winter/spring/autumn for long day time runs.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    HealthyishWithMaggieG Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    So, I was standing at the foot of my bed, the other day, and Rico was standing on the bed, in front of me. I reached down to give him a little hug and thought of this thread. I thought, "Yeah, let's try those dog curls." Apparently, I wasn't the only one that gained weight over the past year. If I had to guess, my 70 pound dog is closer to 80 pounds now. I managed to pick him up to chest height, once, and sat him back on the bed. He was calm when I was holding him, but when I reached down to pick him up again, he sat on my arm. I guess he's not havin' it. Oh, well... guess we'll just have to get out and walk.