Options
I'm planning on participating in my first 5K in June and I'm looking for any and all advice on how to prepare myself :)
Thank you in advance!
Cortney

Replies

• PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running, do a search for "So you want to start running". The first page of that post has some great advice.

If you have already done c25K and are looking for other pointers then:

Increase your base mileage every week. The longer you can run, the more you will improve your 5k times.

The week prior to the event, take a easy/rest week.

Don't try anything new for the event which you haven't done in training.

Run your own race (Don't get wrapped up by everyone starting out fast, go at a pace you can maintain and even try to do negative splits (run progressively faster on mile 2 and 3), don't worry if people pass you.).
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    - Nothing new on race day! Race day is not the time to test out a different breakfast or new running clothes.
    - I like to be early so I have time to put my new T-Shirt and any other swag in my car. Also, time for going to the bathroom.
    - I found that they would start the 5k, I would run a couple hundred yards and be so out of breath. I started to worry something was wrong with me, b/c when I was training, I was fine. Then I read an article about how when they start a race, your adrenaline is pumping and you take off and that can cause breathlessness. Just take a deep breath and keep going - everything will level off.
    - Have fun! I <3 5ks.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    - Nothing new on race day! Race day is not the time to test out a different breakfast or new running clothes.
    - I like to be early so I have time to put my new T-Shirt and any other swag in my car. Also, time for going to the bathroom.
    - I found that they would start the 5k, I would run a couple hundred yards and be so out of breath. I started to worry something was wrong with me, b/c when I was training, I was fine. Then I read an article about how when they start a race, your adrenaline is pumping and you take off and that can cause breathlessness. Just take a deep breath and keep going - everything will level off.
    - Have fun! I <3 5ks.

All of this stuff!!! I broke that no new running clothes rule this past weekend during a mud run. I bought compression pants the night before. Dummy. I took my first two steps and they were sliding halfway down my butt. I had to hang onto them during the entire race and it sucked bad.

Give yourself some time in the morning to eat a little something (my pre-race bfast is an english muffin with PB and a cup of coffee) and go to the bathroom. Seriously, go to the bathroom. My first few 5Ks I was so nervous (for no reason!!! don't be nervous!!) and my stomach was in knots. NOT good when you need to go to the bathroom...

You have lots of time between now and June so I would suggest doing some type of Couch to 5K program. Consistently running (3X a week is perfect) is key. I find that if I don't run for 2 weeks or so, it's really tough for me to get back to where I was.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!! Races are so addicting!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Make sure you start in the back, unless you plan to place. When it comes to 5K's, the bunch at the starting line will be off at almost a dead sprint.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Prairie runner already said what i would have said. I second that post.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on participating in my first 5K in June and I'm looking for any and all advice on how to prepare myself :)
    Thank you in advance!
    Cortney

Do you already run? If not I'd second the advice about looking up the "so you want to be a runner" thread.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your first run. that is the first step. I would say, run farther than 3.1 miles. I started with 3.5 miles now I'm up to 4.8 miles and still running 5Ks. i plan on doing 10ks next year so I'm training for that. this makes running 5ks my victory lap from all the hard training I have been doing.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There is some really good advice here :smile: including an often overlooked piece of advice - make sure you get in the appropriate place at the start line for the pace you intend to run at. If in doubt, go to the back - then you can overtake people :happy: . People at the very front will want every second to count and will speed off that line, and it is frustrating trying to get around slower runners who have started too far forward. Probably most importantly, it is also likely to make you go off far too fast, as you are surrounded by quicker runners and it is hard not to want to try and keep up (and more likely that you will misjudge your pace) - which will lead to misery later.

Good luck and enjoy it :drinker:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - you do want to pick the right spot. But even if you pick the wrong spot = slow runners and walkers to the right while doing the 5k so fast people can pass on the left. Last weekend, there were three walkers walking shoulder to shoulder. I had a hard time getting around them b/c there was traffic and they were taking up all the space for me to get around. :grumble:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    There is some really good advice here :smile: including an often overlooked piece of advice - make sure you get in the appropriate place at the start line for the pace you intend to run at. If in doubt, go to the back - then you can overtake people :happy: . People at the very front will want every second to count and will speed off that line, and it is frustrating trying to get around slower runners who have started too far forward. Probably most importantly, it is also likely to make you go off far too fast, as you are surrounded by quicker runners and it is hard not to want to try and keep up (and more likely that you will misjudge your pace) - which will lead to misery later.

Good luck and enjoy it :drinker:

great advice. yes pick your spot if they haven't put you in a certain corral (like the hotchocolate run) the ones in front will usually just bolt off the line

Oh yes - you do want to pick the right spot. But even if you pick the wrong spot = slow runners and walkers to the right while doing the 5k so fast people can pass on the left. Last weekend, there were three walkers walking shoulder to shoulder. I had a hard time getting around them b/c there was traffic and they were taking up all the space for me to get around. :grumble:

I ran a race Sunday where there were walls of walkers I had to get around. sometimes I want to carry an air horn and get them to move to the side.

after the first mile when the ones who never ran a 5K realize it's farther then they thought start walking, you can usually get your pace going.
  • chays84
    chays84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use to run but after having a child i let my health/fitness take the back burner. But I'm ready to get back to my healthy ways. I have never been in a 5k before so i did find a training schedule from coolrunners.com. I'm excited yet nervous all at once. But i have plenty of time to train. Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom :)