How do you cook your chicken?

Options

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I use this for pork steaks, pork chops, country-style ribs, chicken thighs or breasts....

My favorite recipe:

4-6 portions of meat of your choice (4 oz each or so)
    2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
    2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (I use reduced sodium)
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
    salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350F.
    Line a 9x13 pan with heavy duty foil. Pepper & lightly salt meat on both sides and place in pan. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar, and pour evenly over meat. Dot meat with cubes of butter.

Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake at 350F for 30 -60 minutes (30-35 for small chicken breasts, 40-45 for thighs & pork chops, 50-60 for pork steaks & country style ribs). Uncover, bake another 10-15 minutes.

I change it up all the time. I will replace the balsamic with rice wine vinegar, and the Worcestershire sauce with low-sodium soy sauce, and will add a pinch or two of Chinese 5-spice & a pinch of extra hot red pepper with the salt and pepper. You can even add a couple dashes of sriracha if you like it even spicier (and I do :drinker: )
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm only cooking for me, and I tend to be lazy, so I buy the big packages and cook them all at once in the crockpot with some low sodium chicken broth, then freeze them in 4oz portions. That way I don't have to cook when I want some :) I thaw it, add whatever spices fit the rest of the meal I'm having, and am on my way! It's super moist, tender and flavorful even without spices though, thanks to the broth.

Hmmm never thought of that!

Good idea!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I marinate in mix of soy sauce, sugar, sriacha and tumeric for 1-2 days. The salt and sugar kinda cures it like a ham, stays nice and moist.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I read this as 'How do you cook your children?'
    I was very concerned!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Outside on the grill.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I make this once or twice a month (and homemade broth afterwards!)

http://www.thelittlekitchen.net/whole-chicken-in-a-slow-cooker/

this constantly almost

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-carnitas/
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    One of my weight loss goals has been to find a way to make my chicken taste like chicken wings without the massive calories (i still eat chicken wings, and they will eventually pry a bone out of my cold dead hands, but I wanted something i could eat more often).

So for me it starts with boneless thigh. I can use breast as well if I am absolutely forced too. A heavy bottomed pan and a touch of Avocado oil (2 teaspoons). I don't choose that kind of oil for any magical properties, just because it has high smoke point.

Get the pan hot, toss in the oil, toss in the boneless chicken thigh (I sometimes even cut it into wing like shape, sometimes leave whole). I also usually toss a steak weight/bacon press on top of it to ensure maximum crispiness. Cook the ever living **** out of it until it is crisp. Then take pan off heat - hit it with some Franks Buffalo Sauce (so low in cals and has a butter taste...yes I know it isn't natural but...shrug), toss it around a bit then nom.
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I always brine it for 24 hours, then rinse well, rub with olive oil, and onto the grill to smoke for 30 minutes, then finish off at 350. Perfect every time, whether it's the whole bird or just a leg quarter.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I bake large quantities in the oven at once and then reheat individually, because I live alone.

My go-to is ginger, garlic, cayenne, mustard, salt, pepper, and soy sauce. It might be a little spicy but I tend to have boring old steamed vegetables with the chicken so the contrast is yummy.

Golly. This thread looks delicious.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I cook mine all sorts of ways. I get bored eating the same thing over and over again.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My super lazy and yummy chicken marinade (best for grilling): olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon or whole grain mustard, salt, and a squirt of lemon. Nom!
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Something simple, but extremely delicious.

Chicken
    Cilantro
    Jalapeno
    Lime Juice

That's it.... Great flavor with few carbs and fat.

That sounds extremely delicious! The next chicken recipe I'm going to try! :)
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually do bone in, skin on chicken breasts with a bit of water in it on a frying pan with sea salt and a splash of lemon juice. Maybe a bit of garlic salt. I try not to use oils in my cooking anymore.

I do the same with chicken legs. We don't have an oven so I use the frying pan mostly.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Lately we've been doing a lot of roasted or grilled chicken.

Sometimes I brine it, but usually I don't bother if I'm using a small bird. Use a knife to stab a few holes in it. Liberally top with Worcestershire sauce and nandos sauce.

If I'm grilling I like to marinade in yogurt and add spices. My favorites are Jamaican jerk and cajun. I make my own mixes from recipes on the interwebz, and make them full of flavor but not spicy because I have a three year old.

Stew with chicken is quite tasty too. Check out african peanut stew.

Best part? Lots of leftovers.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The past two times I have made chicken I have brined it.

dissolve 2 tsp. salt in 2 cups cold water in gallon size zip lock bag.
    5 boneless skinless fresh (not frozen) chicken breasts (I pound them with a meat mallet to uniform thickness and cut in half)
    marinate in brine for at least 1/2 hour (up to 3 hours) in refrigerator. Rinse and pat dry.
    Sprinkle with dry seasoning of your choice (We like Mrs Dash onion and herb)
    Grill on George Foreman or any grill. Do not overcook (use a meat thermometer)

Comes out moist and tender. I grill enough to have for salads and meals through the week.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Marinate the chicken in Tapatio hot sauce, minced garlic and some stone ground mustard, then toss it on the grill.
  • boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love to cook it all depends on what type of meal your preparing. My basics are seasoning salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, but there are many different ways to prepare it
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I throw a whole chicken into slow cooker with a little bit of water and some spices and walk away :)
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    just put a little bit of olive oil on the pan and pan fry it. Then follow up with some brown rice and steamed broccoli. You can substitute rice for a sweet potato. You can have to spice is like oregano and pepper on the chicken. It's simple and super delicious and healthy and a lot of protein
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I throw a whole chicken into slow cooker with a little bit of water and some spices and walk away :)

I did a whole chicken on Sunday, but I just cut up carrots and celery into large chunks and put the whole chicken on top. No liquid needed. Rubbed over and under the skin with spices. Then finished it off in the broiler to crisp the skin a little bit. I'm also cooking for myself so I froze some and kept some out for lunches.