• asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    drink more water and eat more bananas

enjoy the peaceful nights
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I used to get them really bad...even had both hamstrings lock up on me in the MIDDLE of a soccer match...

I ate bananas like a champ, never helped. I don't know what I'm doing differently now, except not eating as many bananas and now I rarely get them...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Potassium is a great suggestion. I used to have that problem, and magnesium really helped me for some reason.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Increased protein does play a role in legs cramping. I talked to a PT about it a few months ago. I can't remember exactly how/why, but he said people who have a high protein diet, especially those that drink protein shakes regularly, tend to be more susceptible to them. He also suggested keeping a jar of pickle juice in the refrigerator and drinking a bit before bed. Lots of salt.

My calves tend to cramp up after faster or longer runs. I started wearing calf sleeves during and after my runs. I also will wear them to bed if it was a particularly difficult run. Seems to help....and ibuprofen.
  • amber_michelle30
    amber_michelle30 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I get them every night and when they're not full blown muscle cramps, it's constant twitching. New studies lean towards magnesium intake helping. I take potassium, calcium and magnesium vitamins daily and also drink lots and lots of water and still get them.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks everyone. Headed to lunch to buy bananas. :drinker:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else said, i stopped getting them when i made sure to drink a glass of water before bed, and eat bananas or other fruit every day.

Or, vita coco water..... (funny)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOwYWZdwL1M
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food log, it's probably from your high sodium intake and insufficient veggies. Try changing that, and also stretch your calves and hamstrings several times a day - instructions are on Youtube. If the cramping doesn't improve within a week, see a doctor.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Things hat have helped me and my husband with leg cramps:

- protein shake after workout
    - mixing a banana into said protein shake
    - tums (calcium)
    - magnesium supplement

With me it's the protein and magnesium, hubby lacks potassium and calcium.
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This would always happen to me and it hurts soooo much. I always stay hydrated with water before bed and take a glass with me to bed. I started drinking a glass of tonic water with quinine before bed. If the cramps still came take a spoon of molasses. I don't know if it's the stuff in it that works or just the fact that it's so horrible it takes your mind off it and your leg is able to relax. good luck.
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps suggesting potassium and magnesium. I fully agree, but add some calcium in there. In addition after a hard workout, ill make sure to get in about 30 grams of carbs post workout.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It might help to stretch out after you exercise and maybe try a foam roller on your legs.
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bananas will fix this problem right up. I remember getting these cramps, boy it feels like your calf is going to explode. But bananas will stop the cramps. I think it is caused by a lack of potassium.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yep, potassium and water! I used to get these lots when I was a competitive synchronized swimmer, I swear it was all the toe pointing, but they are easily fixable with the remedies suggested!
  • dcunn48
    dcunn48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes leg cramps can be caused by the prescription meds you may be taking. Read carefully the side-effects of your prescription drugs. I have also eliminated ALL wheat and gluten from my intake. Never felt better. The library has some excellent resources for learning more about the serious effects of wheat on the entire bio-mass we call our bodies. Multi-vitamins are as good for your body as they are for your wallet! The solutions to our health problems won't be found in processed foods, pharmacy areas...start eating real food that hasn't been force-fed and genetically altered, and by all means EDUCATE yourself and stop believing everything you see on TV or in the media.