Replies

• bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    splenda taste better:tongue:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Americans are well trained by food companies to love everything sweet.

Ok, I'm going to have to disagree here. I have two children, both exclusively breastfed and their baby food was homemade. As in I bought the raw food, cooked it, pureed it, and froze single serving portions in ice cube trays. No added anything, except occasionally water to thin the puree. Both children preferred the foods that had the sweeter taste, whether it was a fruit or veggie. And if you've ever tasted breastmilk, it has a sweeter flavor to it than cow's milk. Based on my observations, our propensity for sweet flavors is natural and not the result of evil corporate scheming and greed.
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have used Splenda (sucralose) everyday for the last 9 months with no aftereffects.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Ok, I'm going to have to disagree here. I have two children, both exclusively breastfed and their baby food was homemade. As in I bought the raw food, cooked it, pureed it, and froze single serving portions in ice cube trays. No added anything, except occasionally water to thin the puree. Both children preferred the foods that had the sweeter taste, whether it was a fruit or veggie. And if you've ever tasted breastmilk, it has a sweeter flavor to it than cow's milk. Based on my observations, our propensity for sweet flavors is natural and not the result of evil corporate scheming and greed.

Right, it's evolution that makes us crave sweets and fats, not "evil companies."
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My thoughts is that I hate the taste of both.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Right, it's evolution that makes us crave sweets and fats, not "evil companies."
    That's it. I refuse to support such lunacy and evilness. I am boycotting evolution.

Evolution and I are DONE, I tell you!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturalnews.com/034320_aspartame_sweetener_side_effects.html

just read an article that puts truvia and purevia in the same unhealthy chemically processed boat as aspartame....it said Stevia (preferably from brazil) in it's unprocessed raw form with no chemicals added is considered ok with none of the side effects of the others.

i would definetly recommend stevia (not really a fan) or monk fruit (haven't tried it) over the artifical stuff, tho i think the 'dangers' of them are highly exaggerated... unless you downing like 4L a day of diet coke.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Most packaged foods that should have no business containing added sugars are ridiculously sweet, such as tomato sauce

Why should tomato sauce not contain sugar?

Since being on MFP, one thing I've learned is a bit of sugar plus a bit of acid (lemon, vinegar, etc) equals FLAVOR! Yum! I used to eat everything out of a box from the freezer...well not everything, but I rarely cooked from scratch. Tomatoes are slightly acidic, so a slight amount of sugar makes the sauce delicious!

Yes, yes it does. :-)

My daughter has watched me make it all her life, so when she was living with roommates last year she decided to make them a nice Italian dinner. She put sugar in the sauce, but apparently never quite grasped the subtlety of adding a little, tasting and then adding a little more until the flavor was right and just dumped a bunch of sugar in.

Apparently, it was inedible. lol

Oh, wow!

Coincidentally, my first time of trying to make spaghetti was when I went off to college. I used a jar sauce (just like mom made! =P), but my struggle was getting the noodles right. They were like chewing gum. Ick! We threw it out and went to Country Kitchen. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

That's it. I refuse to support such lunacy and evilness. I am boycotting evolution.

Evolution and I are DONE, I tell you!

1273919990118.jpg
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    splenda taste better:tongue:

ugh, they all taste like "skata" in my opinion.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Just because the FDA deems something safe doesn't mean it is.

^^ This is the only part I agree with.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Coincidentally, my first time of trying to make spaghetti was when I went off to college. I used a jar sauce (just like mom made! =P), but my struggle was getting the noodles right. They were like chewing gum. Ick! We threw it out and went to Country Kitchen.

Awesome.

My only real cooking disaster was serving my poor friend a VERY undercooked hamburger in high school.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

And stevia/truvia still tastes like @ss to me.

That's hilarious! To me, Truvia tastes like sugar with vanilla extract added. I don't like a lot of stevia brands, but my husband has Type 2 diabetes, and for some odd reason he likes sweet coffee and tea, so he uses stevia. Aspartame, suclarose, sugar alcohols....you name it, and it aggravates his Crohn's disease as well. Stevia is the only one that he can use. I don't always buy Truvia because it's a little pricier, but when I do, I will sometimes substitute Truvia for some of sugar in recipes. They have a baking one that is like half stevia, half sugar that I used for no bake cookies. They were half the calories and tasted delicious!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Coincidentally, my first time of trying to make spaghetti was when I went off to college. I used a jar sauce (just like mom made! =P), but my struggle was getting the noodles right. They were like chewing gum. Ick! We threw it out and went to Country Kitchen.

Awesome.

My only real cooking disaster was serving my poor friend a VERY undercooked hamburger in high school.

Well at least you can fix that! Pop it in the death box or something. :laugh:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    little do people know there is even aspartame in everyone's daily bread. Go figure.

Yuck, not my bread.

Barring medical issues, my opinion is if you eat SO MUCH sweetened stuff where you need a zero calorie sweetener to help you meet your calorie goal, then the problem isn't the sweetener. The problem is your eating too much crap with boatloads of sugar. Of course, most people don't want to hear that and would rather search high and low for some miracle sweetener that allows them to get their sugar fix without paying the caloric penalty.

What would you say to the individual who is drinking a couple of diet sodas per day because it helps him or her kick their regular soda habit, resulting in a reduction in energy intake?

Again, just my opinion but I don't think drinking diet soda is any better than drinking regular soda. Sure, less calories but it is still garbage. Americans are well trained by food companies to love everything sweet. Most packaged foods that should have no business containing added sugars are ridiculously sweet, such as tomato sauce, salad dressings, etc. As a nation we have a serious sugar problem and not much desire to change. Of course, this is just my lone opinion so feel free to consume all of the aspartame and stevia you want. :wink:

Stupid mindless Americans
  • rml_16
    Options

Awesome.

I don't think we had one back then.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I hate them all. Artificial sugars taste disgusting to me. I don't care about the disputed heath aspects, people can do what they want. I am just anti-eating-food-I-don't-like-the-taste-of.

ETA: I don't even like most gums, because of sugar alcohol. So sickeningly sweet.
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't do artificial sugars, they give me horrible headaches. I tried a quest bar for the first time and had a horrible headache because they use sugar alcohols derived from aspartame! I understand the reasoning behind having no calorie sugar because it's in a lot of things but I feel that the natural form is best for us and our bodies even though it's not low in calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Awesome.

What if that's why you aren't dead?
  • rml_16
    Options

Awesome.

What if that's why you aren't dead?

Well, it IS a death box ...