The HCG diet, P90X, etc...the verdict

Options
Just thought I would share an article I found, no comments either way, just sharing!! :)

From HCG Diets to Shake Weights: Fitness Trends in Review
By Heather Hawkins, CPT, FNC-NESTA
Dec 01, 2010
Send Share Print Buzz up!39 votesHealth Experts Main

Fitness for Real Life
by Heather Hawkins, CPT, FNC-NESTA
Recent Posts•Fitness Gift Trends to Skip: Choose Function Over Flair and Save a Bundle
•The Best Fitness Gifts of 2010
•Low Cal Thanksgiving: Unlikely Advice from a Fitness Expert
More Articles »Related TopicsInfertility
Undescended Testicle

Health Topics »From tapeworms and Thighmasters to fad diets and blubber-shaking machinery, the only sure thing in the fitness world is that there will always be a new trend claiming to be the secret to quick and easy weightloss or eternal youth. Often, these fads make unrealistic promises or are downright unhealthy. Sometimes, though, trends bubble up for a reason—because they work. Here’s a look at five current fitness trends and my suggestions as to whether you should “hit it” or “quit it.”

HCG Diet: Fad diets are a dime a dozen. All the ones that “work” use the same trick: They have some loosely-tested medical theory that distracts you from the fact that you are just doing good old calorie cutting. This is true of most low-carb and non-medically-indicated gluten-free diets, and it’s certainly true with the HCG diet. In its truest form, the HCG diet requires daily injections of a hormone found in pregnant women that is supposed to help release fat stores. Of course, the internet has sprung up with sites offering to sell you HCG in pill form. But HCG is not active in an oral form, so the pills you find on the internet are pure placebos. In either case, the HCG is more or less a red herring anyway. The real way the HCG diet “works”—you are only allowed 500 calories per day! Yes, you read that right—500 calories. Of course you are going to lose weight in the short-term, but a 500-calorie diet is something one should never undertake without the strictest of doctor’s supervision.

The Verdict: Quit It. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than you burn by creating a sustainable deficit, which can be done by anyone, anywhere, for free! If you must, you can take a few twenty-dollar bills out of your wallet and flush them down the toilet for motivation, which would be better than spending your hard-earned cash on this internet gimmick.

P90X: The saying goes, “At any given time, there is an episode of I Love Lucy playing somewhere in the world.” I think the same is probably true of the P90X infomercial—possibly twofold. The parade of jaw-dropping transformations and well-oiled “after shots” just reek of scam. But, you know what…? The hype machine of the infomercial doesn’t change the fact that P90X is a really solid, well-rounded, old-school weight and cardio program that will deliver great results to anyone who has the dedication to push themselves through the workouts and, most importantly, reel in their diet. It delivers the same kind of solid workout experience you can get from taking several classes at a gym, which makes it ideal for parents and people who like the flexibility of working out at home. (One caveat: If you are a woman looking to lose weight, it’s likely the nutrition guide that comes with the program will suggest far too many calories. Here are some suggestions for alterations.)

The Verdict: Hit it! Just don’t expect that something magical will happen when the UPS man delivers the package to your door. As with any workout program, you’ll need the commitment to hit the workouts hard and change your diet to see results.

Shake Weight: Due to a so-bad-it's-good advertising campaign, the Shake Weight has become a viral video darling and even landed a starring role on an episode of South Park. But, is it any good as a workout tool? Hardly. I purchased the Shake Weight in the “for men” size and ran through the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it enclosed workout DVD. For starters, I can think of very little that would actually “get you ripped in only 6 minutes per day” aside from deadlifting a small SUV repeatedly. And, while I did have difficulty shaking the weight for the specified period, I’m chalking that up to a slippery handle and biomechanically-shaky moves. I felt no delayed muscle soreness that would indicate that the workout had done anything different from my usual weight regime. Plus, it works only three muscle groups, and there’s certainly not enough weight involved in any case to “get you ripped.” In fact, I’d argue good ole pushups, dips, and pull-ups would do a much better job of that than this noisy gizmo.

The Verdict: Quit It. Spend your thirty bucks on a pair of 20-pound dumbbells that you can use for curls, presses, squats, and lunges to get a full-body workout. Bonus tip: If you want to get the whole Shake Weight experience with your dumbbells, just stop your curl or press mid-way through the rep and do micropulses or hold the isometric contraction for 30 seconds. Oh, and make funny faces. That’s the important part.

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training): High Intensity Interval Training is the talk of the gym, promising to burn the most calories in the least amount of time and elevating post-exercise calorie burn for up to 24 hours after the session. HIIT is a great addition to most workout programs, and all these claims are backed by solid research, but here’s the thing—most people don’t do HIIT right. It’s more than just hitting the “interval” button on the elliptical while reading the latest copy of Cosmo. A true HIIT workout session involves a warm-up followed by one minute of all-out intensity and one minute of recovery, repeated no more than 10 times, and followed by a cool down. To be true HIIT, the all-out bursts must be can’t-go-for-a-second-longer intervals, and at the end of the 20-30 minute session you should be absolutely beat.

The Verdict: Hit it! High Intensity Interval Training is a great way to get the most out of your workout time. Remember, though, that a true HIIT will leave you utterly depleted and require proper recovery, so don’t do this kind of workout on back-to-back days. Also, don’t put too much weight on the promise of increased post-exercise burn—any workout program will do this. Just focus on blasting through those calories in the workout timeframe and consider any additional benefits as gravy. I tell my clients: With HIIT, if you don’t feel like a flailing fool in the gym, you probably aren’t doing it right.

High-Antioxidant Drinks and Supplements (Acai Berry, Pomegranate, etc.): It seems that anti-oxidants have been added to so many products these days, promising everything from better heart health to eternal youth. Notably, the beverage aisle is jam-packed with high-antioxidant drinks, but most of these drinks are nothing more than expensive fruit punch, with little to offer than massive quantities of sugar and some vitamins tossed in to make for better marketing. Yes, a diet sufficiently high in anti-oxidants is important for good health, but a well-rounded diet full of multi-colored foods will not only provide you more than enough vitamins and minerals, it will contain other important phytonutrients and fiber naturally. I am always wary of artificially adding nutrients to our food outside the ratio of what you’d find in a healthy, well-balanced diet. There is even some evidence that too many anti-oxidants might reduce the positive adaptations to exercise.

The Verdict: Quit it! Don’t reach for a pricy, sugary, calorie-bomb just because it claims to have anti-oxidants or other health benefits. If you are eating a well-rounded, colorful diet, you are probably doing fine on the anti-oxidant front. Try as we might, we really can’t improve on water for drinking.

If you’ve got a fitness trend you’d like me to investigate, drop me a note.

Heather Hawkins is a certified personal trainer and fitness nutrition coach based in San Francisco, CA, who works with clients over the internet through FitLifeSF Coaching and blogs at FitLifeSF.com. Please send your fitness and nutrition questions to Smurf@FitLifeSF.com for use in future blogs.

Replies

• Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I can totally agree with the comments about P90X. I too was skeptical of the before and afters. I'm 5 days from completing my 3rd round and I look and feel better than I ever have, even at the age of almost 42.

So the program works but you have to really work at it. You get out of it what you put into it. That includes both from the exercise standpoint as well as the nutrition standpoint. That being said, it is not for everyone.

The program isn't rocket science,it is fitness for dummies. No need to worry about what body part to workout today and what exercise to do for that body part. Just follow the program and work your tail off.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I hope that more people read this article.
  • jlyn74
    jlyn74 Posts: 21
    Options
    Yep. I've read over & over that HCG is a scam diet. But it's working for me. So placebo effect or not, I don't mind spending $20 for something that works. I lost over 40 lbs on the first round & maintained it for over 40 days (until I started round 2). I'm on my 2nd round & I've lost another 10+ lbs. It's changed my eating & exercise habits & choices. Different programs work for different people. This works for me :)
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Great article! Thanks for sharing!
  • hingebre
    Options
    bump - i want to read this later
  • asianbeef
    Options
    The only REAL solution that is 100% guarantee to lose weight is frequent exercise combined with eating the right and healthy foods (vegetables, lean meats such as chicken and fish, whole grains etc.) It's a simple equation: 80% diet 20% exercise. There's no need for the gimmicky weight loss systems that will guarantee you lose 5 pounds of [water] weight in 2 days, just pure hard work and dedication.

As for P90X and High Intensity Interval Training, they are the REAL DEAL. I am living proof that they work. I have done two rounds of Shaun T's Insanity (which focuses on MAX Interval training, essentially the same exact thing as HIIT) and am on day 76 of my second round of P90X. As a matter of fact, these fitness programs are so effective, that I strongly believe in any product that Beachbody, the makers of P90X and Insanity, have manufactured (including the P90X Results and Recovery Formula and Shakeology).
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Great article!! Good old exercise and cardio!! It's funny people have been asking me alot
    lately how I've lost weight and say so
    how did you do it... And are somewhat dis-intereares when I say exercise and eating 5 small
    meals!!!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some version of HIIT (maybe not as intense as I should), but I do go faster than slower on the elliptical. it gives you the best bang for your buck...it definately kicks my butt...yesterday I burned over 800 calories in 65 min...which is somewhat of a new record for me...and I could have kept going, except I timed it at 65 min...

definately recommend HIIT
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Ever notice that all the pills and contraptions also say in fine print to use in combination with a diet and exercise plan. Makes you go hmmmm...

and that wonderful shaking thing. Think - using the same piece of equipment over and over with no way to increase weight, resistance, etc...The body will adjust and eventually it won't work
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the article! Creating a sustainable calorie deficit is key. I can't even imagine living on 500 cals a day. There would be no way I would have the energy to do a workout! I think P90X sounds killer- once I am closer to my goal weight, I am so trying it! I have found over the past 10 months that it doesn't take much more than dedication to exercise, making better food choices, willpower, and determination.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    One of the benefits to working on a program like P90X...or Turbo Fire, Insanity, Jillian's programs, etc. is that all the guess work around what to do to complete an exercise program is done for you. There are no magic pills or potions for losing weight and maintaining weight loss. Eat less and move more is the key; however, if you find a workout program that you love and can't wait to do every day chances are you'll stick with it.

Sharon
  • jlyn74
    Options
    Agreeing with the article! Creating a sustainable calorie deficit is key. I can't even imagine living on 500 cals a day. There would be no way I would have the energy to do a workout! I think P90X sounds killer- once I am closer to my goal weight, I am so trying it! I have found over the past 10 months that it doesn't take much more than dedication to exercise, making better food choices, willpower, and determination.

@superstarcassie - With HCG, there are different phases. During the 500 cal/day phase, you are discouraged from doing more than a 20-30 walk each day. You start your real exercise during the next phase, while eating 1500 cal/day.

Not suggesting you use the program, you're obviously doing awesome with whatever program you're using!! I just wanted to clarify. You don't lose energy during the 500 cal/day phase because you're eating very healthy foods & drinking lots of water.

BEST WISHES!! :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You don't lose energy during the 500 cal/day phase because you're eating very healthy foods & drinking lots of water.

could you give a little explanation here? what does eating very healthy foods have to do with being well under the recommended minimum calories for adult females. Basically I'm saying, it's widely known that it's impossible to receive enough vitamins and minerals (let alone calories) to keep your body functioning correctly with a deficit so large, exercise or quality of nutrients doesn't have anything to do with the reasons why 500 calories is not good for you.

FYI, a 500 calorie diet is considered a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) and most medical bodies agree that it should only be attempted under the close supervision of a medical professional. This includes blood tests and weekly monitoring sessions. Even then, only a very small portion of the population are usually prescribed this method of weight loss because of the dangers inherent to it. Even then, doctors only usually approve it for those considered to be in immanent mortal danger because of their weight.
  • jlyn74
    Options
    You don't lose energy during the 500 cal/day phase because you're eating very healthy foods & drinking lots of water.

could you give a little explanation here? what does eating very healthy foods have to do with being well under the recommended minimum calories for adult females. Basically I'm saying, it's widely known that it's impossible to receive enough vitamins and minerals (let alone calories) to keep your body functioning correctly with a deficit so large, exercise or quality of nutrients doesn't have anything to do with the reasons why 500 calories is not good for you.

FYI, a 500 calorie diet is considered a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) and most medical bodies agree that it should only be attempted under the close supervision of a medical professional. This includes blood tests and weekly monitoring sessions. Even then, only a very small portion of the population are usually prescribed this method of weight loss because of the dangers inherent to it. Even then, doctors only usually approve it for those considered to be in immanent mortal danger because of their weight.

I take a sublingual B12 vitamin daily & I haven't seen any problems with stamina or energy levels, and this is my 2nd round of VLCD. I'm eating only 200g of lean meats, and non-starchy fruits & veggies. I have informed my physician of my program & see her every 3 months.

I'm not trying to push this program on anyone here, I just wanted to let @cassie know that it hasn't hurt my energy levels. My energy has actually improved since eating healthy, cutting out dangerous foods & losing 55 lbs.

BEST WISHES! :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I take a sublingual B12 vitamin daily & I haven't seen any problems with stamina or energy levels, and this is my 2nd round of VLCD. I'm eating only 200g of lean meats, and non-starchy fruits & veggies. I have informed my physician of my program & see her every 3 months.

I'm not trying to push this program on anyone here, I just wanted to let @cassie know that it hasn't hurt my energy levels. My energy has actually improved since eating healthy, cutting out dangerous foods & losing 55 lbs.

It's not a question of energy levels. It's a question of damaging internal organs. Damage that can go un-noticed until later in life. Things like liver damage, kidney damage, gallstones, reduced immune function, increased free radicals which can accelerate cancer later in life. That's all I'm saying. People sometimes don't understand that these kinds of things can have long term effects.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great article! Thanks for sharing... one thing, though - even though you cited the author and the title of the article, you should post the site address from which you copied this. Thanks!
  • AGG115
    AGG115 Posts: 62
    Options
    My mom tried the HCG diet and wound up in the hospital. Buyer beware!
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am glad others have found the article interesting or helpful in any way, good or bad I wasn't going to offer my own opinion, simply providing the information for others. Leaving it up to you all to come to your own conclusions.
    I figured including the original author and title was clarification enough that I was not the source of the information. I wasn't aware that I should be posting more than that, but thank you for pointing that out to me, I will try to remember that in the future.
  • jlyn74
    Options

It's not a question of energy levels. It's a question of damaging internal organs. Damage that can go un-noticed until later in life. Things like liver damage, kidney damage, gallstones, reduced immune function, increased free radicals which can accelerate cancer later in life. That's all I'm saying. People sometimes don't understand that these kinds of things can have long term effects.

It's all good. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was pushing this program on anyone else. I can't stand when people do that!! Again, best wishes to you...& I'm a super big Patriots fan too!!!
  • jlyn74
    Options
    I am glad others have found the article interesting or helpful in any way, good or bad I wasn't going to offer my own opinion, simply providing the information for others. Leaving it up to you all to come to your own conclusions.
    I figured including the original author and title was clarification enough that I was not the source of the information. I wasn't aware that I should be posting more than that, but thank you for pointing that out to me, I will try to remember that in the future.

Thx for posting--good information! Best wishes!