Need a good substitute for beer

Replies

• kazzyv
    kazzyv Posts: 30 Member
    I assume you are buying beers in cans or bottles ? Is there any way you can get a smaller glass - so a single bottle gives you 2 glasses - don't keep topping up the glass pour a glass and put the bottle back in the fridge. Don't refill until the first one has been finished - it will stretch each can or bottle out longer ?
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    If you drink beer every day then to star drinking low carb beers bor switch to light beer is extremely hard. Easier to just stop and keep for special occassions. You can search hard and long but there is no substitute for a good beer..so just stop. OR enjoy a couple every night for the rest of your life but walk an extra mile to cover the indulgence. I love beer and as you know we are serious about our beer in Australia but have had to make the decision to give it up until at least I am halfway to my goal. Don't miss it.What a lie.

I used to share house with a guy who drank 15 cans 4 days a week and worked the other three to pay for it. He used to say "98 per cent water....how can that be unhealthy?" Not an ounce of fat on him. But thats metabolism.

Good luck in your quest. I feel for you.

Now a beer for breakfast? Same calorie count as porridge and you dont have to add milk and banana to beer. Mmm...
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    That's quite interesting, thanks for explaining it, I glanced at the article and was somewhat concerned about "fish bladder" because I love Guinness, so you've made me feel better haha. The only other thing that caught my attention was the dextrose in Michelob Ultra because I was thinking of buying it (because low calorie) but I have blood sugar concerns and didn't want extra-sugared beer, but your explanation makes sense. :flowerforyou:

No - it doesn't add to the sugar content of the final beer (I'm prediabetic). The reason for adding sugar (dextrose, HFCS, etc, or even rice) is to increase the alcohol content without increasing the amount of grain they need to use, so they can keep it near flavorless.

:drinker:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    M64 = 64 calories per can

And it is nearly impossible to get drunk off of.

It also tastes like urine.
    so it's like all the other american beers?

Living on the west coast I will take exception to this comment - there is a thriving micro brew climate in BC, WA, OR and CA - beers for whatever slakes your thirst.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member

No - please don't!!!

Fish bladder is isinglass - a fining that has been used in beer for centuries. It helps settle out the yeast to the bottom of the fermentor, and the beer is then racked off, leaving the yeast + isinglass behind.

Caramel has colors from the melanoidin reaction. Sugars plus amino groups from protein. The color of the grain used to make EVERY beer comes from the kilning/roasting process, which produces melanoidins. Any time you brown a piece of meat or onions, you are producing melanoidins. All the caramel color used in Newcastle Brown is is a concentrated form of this same thing, so they can add just the right amount to get exactly the color they want without the bitterness that comes from using the grains directly. I've used Sinamar in my homebrews for this that is essentially concentrated wort.

Propylene glycol is used to chill beer. In a cooling jacket. It doesn't go into the beer itself.

The rest is simply an anti-GMO screed with no scientific understanding whatsoever. I mean, what the hell is "GMO Dextrose"? GMO means genetically modified organism, and dextrose is just another name for glucose. Any sugar (or high fructose corn syrup, which is a mix of glucose and fructose) is going to be turned to alcohol by the yeast.

Don't drink those beers (except the Guinness) because they are BAD beers. Don't not drink them because of a bad blog article.

That's quite interesting, thanks for explaining it, I glanced at the article and was somewhat concerned about "fish bladder" because I love Guinness, so you've made me feel better haha. The only other thing that caught my attention was the dextrose in Michelob Ultra because I was thinking of buying it (because low calorie) but I have blood sugar concerns and didn't want extra-sugared beer, but your explanation makes sense. :flowerforyou:

To add to this - it's actually the proteins in the isinglass that trap sediments in the beer through adsorption (yes I spelled that right). Egg whites and blood have also been used over the centuries to clarify both beer and wine. I use unflavoured gelatin.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    I have to say, this has been an extremely informative and educational thread. Everyone's been so helpful, you guys are awesome! :drinker:
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    I like my beer, particularly good strong real ales, so far my trick is to keep them for treats, and drink one really good pint, rather than several crap ones.

Evenings, I sometimes make a spritzer fromfizzy water and a dry white wine to make a longer refreshing drink.
    I also often have a glass of red with a meal.

But I always log it, and enjoy it. And savour it.
  • stephenryan758
    stephenryan758 Posts: 72 Member
    Red Wine is fine as long as its in moderation.

Beer stay away from it altogether. I drink wine once a week and make sure its always Red. Once you reach your goal weight then you can reward yourself with a couple beers. But make sure you are in the gym the next day :)
  • alymarie86
    alymarie86 Posts: 6 Member
    Kombucha... I drink it instead of beer or wine. It has a very distinctive fermentation taste similar to sour beers.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    weed
    This. I feel sorry for non-users when they're in a deficit.
  • I recommend kombucha tea with no added sugars that you can get in the refrigerated section of healthfood stores! It reminds me of a wine cooler, same mouthfeel except less calories!!!
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    My sister mixes her wine with sparkiling water, usually Pellagrino. Maybe that wil help. Alas, there is no substitute for beer.
  • stephenryan758
    stephenryan758 Posts: 72 Member
    weed
    This. I feel sorry for non-users when they're in a deficit.

Sure that's ok as long as it doesn't lead to craving a beer due to cotton mouth. Also don't forget lost lung capacity leading to underperformance in the cardio department.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Take 8 oz glass of water, 1 slice of whole grain bread. Roll bread and stick in water. Wait 5 minutes. Give it a good mush around with a spoon, enjoy.

Its like 80 calories.

-j

(or just drink a more filling beer. 1 @ 140 calories is better than 4@90 calories.)
  • zagbee
    zagbee Posts: 40 Member
    I live very close to several amazing breweries. To say I love beer would be an understatement. I also love a good glass of red wine. For me, I'd rather not have them at all then to substitute something that I am just *ok* with. On days that I anticipate having some drinks, I just work out harder or sometimes cut back on food calories for that day.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    I don't know if I've ever heard of Sierra Mist, but I see what you're saying...we make our own wine so I'm not worried about preserving the quality so much, haha. Good idea, maybe I'll try that!

diet Sierra Mist is similar to diet Sprite or diet 7-up, but much better flavor. Be careful to not mix it up with Natural Sierra Mist, which is made with pure sugar...

Trust me... it makes that drink go a looonnnnnggggg way and I've been known to get a little buzzed on a glassful, especially since I've lost alot of weight! :drinker:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Agreed, no substitutes.

Don't drink near beer. Instead seek out lower-calorie styles. I find that often a single bottle of a well-made, lower-gravity beer is just as satisfying as something heftier. Some examples would be:
    - Maerzen (sorry don't know how to umlaut)
    - Vienna lager
    - Milk stout
    - Bitter
    - "Session IPA"
    - Hefeweizen
    - Koelsch

Rule of thumb: for a 12 ounce pour, calories = alcohol by volume x 30. So for 4% abv, that's 120 calories.

Good suggestions, thanks! I don't think I've ever tried any of those brands, I'm going to have to make a list for my next trip to the beer store, haha. I believe that Guinness is relatively low-calorie compared to some but it's so expensive, I usually drink Maclay's, which is cheap but goes down WAY too easy.

These are styles, not brands. Just fyi so you don't feel silly when you ask for them. And yes, Guinness is a good lower calorie option. The lower the abv generally the lower the calories. ABV is often listed on the beer menu as well. There are plenty of other options out there besides Guinness for lower calorie that aren't crap beer. I'm often surprised by the beers in the MFP database. Shop around and scan some bar codes. Try some new things.

Yes, thanks for the clarification.

For a little more info, here is the alcohol by volume content of all of the styles of beer in the "Beer Judge Certification Program". Lowest alcohol contents, aside from (hurl) American Light Lager, are Standard Bitter, Scottish 60 Shilling, Mild Ale, Southern English Brown Ale, and Berliner Weisse.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/01/04/beer-styles-alcohol-by-volume-bar-graph/
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    it's called self-control, but i understand it can be difficult.

this is what i used to do with cans of soda- i'd buy the whole six-pack, but instead of putting them all in the fridge, i'd just put two in there. the rest i'd store in the pantry. that way, even if i binged, i'd only have two at the most.

this will probably work even better with beer, because no one wants a warm beer. a warm coke you can pour in a glass and put ice in it, but not with beer!
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    I drink a beer just about everyday. But I also shoot for at least an hour of cardio everyday to account for it. If the calories from beer is a problem just exercise more to make up for it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    M64 = 64 calories per can

And it is nearly impossible to get drunk off of.

It also tastes like urine.
    so it's like all the other american beers?

Living on the west coast I will take exception to this comment - there is a thriving micro brew climate in BC, WA, OR and CA - beers for whatever slakes your thirst.

Same here in Wisconsin. There's almost (almost!) a surfeit of choices and quality, of every conceivable style and some that have just been conceived..