Harsh Reality

Options
Hello...

I'm very new to this site (just starting week 4) but my daily routine includes hopping on the scale every morning. I realized this morning when my battery died on my scale and I couldn't weigh myself... I didn't know how I should be. Should I be happy? Sad? Discouraged? Pissed off? I just stood there staring at a flashing "Lo" on my scale. But the harsh reality of it was that it made me realize just how much I let the scale determine my mood for the day. Something I definitely need to change. Maybe I just won't change the battery?!?! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The scale should not dictate your mood. Just be happy every day. :happy:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I would quit the scale. Don't buy new batteries for a month, and in that month work your butt off hard, so you can have a happy surprise when you weigh in in 30 days. :)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I know him.

But really. Use a tape measure. Scales suck.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Reality is Harsh.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    The purpose of a scale is to discourage and disappoint.
    Use measuring tape and a mirror.
    Like what you see then be happy!:flowerforyou:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Reality is Harsh.

Reality is Harsh is Hot
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    You're in luck, he's looking for a new girlfriend!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1246436-i-need-a-new-girlfriend

Good luck on your journey OP :flowerforyou:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    The purpose of a scale is to discourage and disappoint.
    Use measuring tape and a mirror.
    Like what you see then be happy!:flowerforyou:

I like this! Yes. :flowerforyou:
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I would quit the scale. Don't buy new batteries for a month, and in that month work your butt off hard, so you can have a happy surprise when you weigh in in 30 days. :)

I agree with this. As a frequent battery purchaser, batteries get expensive after a while. Hold off if you have other, battery-less methods (such as a measuring tape).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    You don't need a scale to even know you are in shape.
    You'll know and will see.
  • everforever8
    everforever8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same habit of hopping on the scale every single morning-even when I know that there are other factors for a slight 'gain' on the scale, I still end up feeling bad about it. I weighed myself this morning, and my goal is to NOT weigh in again until next Tuesday. I agree with others that the scale is important to know if I'm making progress, but at the same time, if I'm eating healthy and all that, then I should be able to see those results without it, seeing it will just take longer.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i can't quit the scale. 8 months into it and i still weigh daily. i never let it ruin my mood though. ever.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Don't let the scale dictate your mood. I have, and will probably always, weigh in ritualistically every morning. However, I've learned it's just a number and not the end-all be-all and I hope to break my addiction (i'm workign on getting there).

This morning I'm a pound up but I also feel great. I've just completed my first full week of workouts post surgery (so it was over 6 weeks I couldn't do more than walk and lift 10lbs) and so I feel strong and healthy. Screw the scale.

I immediately took my measurements :) That's more fun
  • djs2303
    djs2303 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Monday, just before my first gym session of the week, I do it Mondays so that I keep a check on what I eat and drink at the weekend, and also, so I know my goals for the week, If ive gained, I know I have to work extra hard that week ready for my weigh in the following Monday. I also look forward to weighing in, and, if ive had a loss that Monday, im in the gym thinking "i cant wait till net Monday" I find this both satisfying and also motivational.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Is Tim here yet?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Is Tim here yet?

He's busy looking for my replacement
  • FlatTummyTrish
    FlatTummyTrish Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last year, I went on for a month without buying the batteries but I was relieved when I finally did. You should definitely have at least a week of not weighing yourself, it's always the water level that changes not the actual fat loss. Good luck :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Is Tim here yet?

Oh.

You know there's this girl around here who kinda looks like you, except really dumb, which is something I hear dudes sometimes look for in a chick. Maybe someone should introduce them.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I will always make you happy. :flowerforyou:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Is Tim here yet?

Oh.

You know there's this girl around here who kinda looks like you, except really dumb, which is something I hear dudes sometimes look for in a chick.

I like the smart ones.