I went over on my Calcium?

Options
Hey, I had a question.

If I go into the red on my Calcium or Protein is that a bad thing? Will it effect me in a bad way? Because I thought that if I went into the red, it meant that I was getting too much of a specific thing.

My second question is, I often go into the red on my Sodium. If I just drink alot of water and try to avoid it, I'd be okay right? Is it even worth keeping track of for Sodium?

Replies

• LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my sodium because I have high blood pressure. Sodium retains body fluids so flushing it with water is good.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Unless you go wayyyy over on either calcium or protein, you're going to be fine. So unless you're at several hundred percent on calcium, and several hundred grams on protein, I wouldn't worry about it.

*EDIT* To give you some better info than I gave you before, the safe upper limits recommended by the national institute of health for Calcium for an Adult 19-50 is 2,500 mg, which is 250% DV. So if you are not hitting this level, you are fine. There is no upper limit established for protein, so you are fine with that as well.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Going over in Calcium and Protein are not bad. Your body needs vitamin K (I think) to process Calcium. So, unless you are always taking in vitamin K also, not all of the calcium you take in is processed by the body.

Sodium is the one that is worth tracking! You should really try NOT to exceed the sodium, even if you are drinking a lot of water. Drinking the water will help to some extent, but too much sodium is a bad thing! Chances are, you are eating a lot of processed foods if you are exceeding your sodium goal.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Sodium is only a big deal if you have high blood pressure. It's not great for you but it's not overly important to watch it unless you suffer from the problems or have a history of it in your family. Same thing with cholesterol. I used to eat 4-5x the daily recommended dose, drank nearly NO water and my blood pressure was perfectly healthy. Sodium excess will just make you feel like dog crap from being dried out and what not but going over the daily dose won't kill you. Protein is set very low on here, going over is fine and calcium would be fine as well.
  • NoahVail
    Options
    Unless your kidneys are stressed out or not functioning,your endocrine system will balance out your actual blood calcium levels and you shouldn't see any weirdness from a little too much calcium in a day.

And just to clarify,Vit D is involved in calcium absorption. VitK is part of the blood clotting process.

And assuming you have a healthy heart and blood vessels,don't obsess too much about sodium unless a real healthcare provider tells you to. Don't go overboard on the salt,but don't totally eliminate it and guzzle water,either. Low serum sodium will give you serious problems as well.

NV