The: I don't drink dark soda thing...

Options

Replies

• c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yeah my mom used to say this only cause the dark ones have caffeine often (i guess mt dew does to though right?) anyway, I have also just given up soda completely, it makes me feel gross and throws a wrench in my weight loss. minus a couple minor infringements I have been soda free for almost 5 months!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    edorice, your post killed me. I just shook my head laughing.

As for the mouse in the coke bottle it never happened but lawyers have created it as a hypothetical situation and argument. I swear the internet and the things said both online and in person is like a massive game of "Telephone", it's crazy and what's worse is we're all guilty of it. So often I'll read something that sounds far fetched and so I'll go searching to see if it's an urban legend or just a load of crap that someone made up. Speaking of mice though there was a funny and scary story here recently where a mouse was found in a loaf of bread. Absolutely crazy and what's worse is it wasn't the first instance of it. Imagine finding a live mouse in your loaf of bread!! I'm glad I don't eat Wonder Bread! Here's the story.

http://www.burnabynow.com/health/Buyers+find+mice+bread/3062454/story.html
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Ug, gross story. I can't even imagine seeing a mouse in my food!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean but I also can't imagine eating Wonder Bread either, not sure which is more gross, the fact that Wonder Bread is being bought and eaten or the fact that they found a live mouse in the loaf. It's a toss up to be fair.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I will not drink dark colas because they murder hypothetical baby mice. soapbox.gif
  • edorice
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean but I also can't imagine eating Wonder Bread either, not sure which is more gross, the fact that Wonder Bread is being bought and eaten or the fact that they found a live mouse in the loaf. It's a toss up to be fair.

At least a mouse is protein. Wonder Bread is crap. :laugh:
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    HAhaha. I was sitting here like, who the hell still eats wonder bread?????? LOL
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    HAhaha. I was sitting here like, who the hell still eats wonder bread?????? LOL
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Maybe because some people are just nucking futs.

HA! That must be it!!

I could only think of an old video I saw of Eddie Van Halen back in the day saying... "only drink things you can see through" while looking at the camera through a bottle of Vodka!!
  • BoresEasily
    Options

At least a mouse is protein. Wonder Bread is crap. :laugh:

Hear hear!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I will not drink dark colas because they murder hypothetical baby mice. soapbox.gif

Alright I have to give it to you that was good. edorice's was better though.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I could only think of an old video I saw of Eddie Van Halen back in the day saying... "only drink things you can see through" while looking at the camera through a bottle of Vodka!!
    [/quote]

:laugh: I drink vodka, too...
    But I regress, I mean, digress! I just don't drink soda since the sodium & calorie content is ridiculous & the diet thing is just over-rated & messes me up: I don't care if it's dark, lite, coloured, inbetween - I'm not a soda-racist :tongue:

I stick to the basics in life, not for any clarity reason (:laugh: ) just because that's what I like: water, wine & on the occasional occasion vodka or tequilla (it's tequilla gold so it's really opaque not really clear tho.. :laugh: )
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    LOL at soda racist!
  • skinnypeach
    Options
    Most dark sodas have caffeine - maybe that's the issue?

That's the reasoning my sister-in-law's doc gave her. He said all dark sodas, except root beer have caffeine so avoid giving them to kids. I think it's interesting that he never once mentioned that ALL sodas are full of sugar and really shouldn't be given to kids for THAT reason. Go figure.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think the dark soda thing may have more to do with caffeine issues. I know clear sodas don't have caffeine in them, that's why you don't see decafinated versions of them. However, brown colas do. Years ago, you didn't have a choice... all brown sodas had caffeine, now they have caffeine free.... but I still think people staying away from brown sodas is a throw back to this time period.

Shannon
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I don't think too many people are staying away from dark colored soda bc Coca Cola is the best seller worldwide. Wonder bread AND soda are both crap. What ever happened to drinking water?
  • Noelleinaz
    Noelleinaz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yep, it is the caffeine and all the other artificial crap they put in it. Eat organic and you will drop tons of weight. Preservatives are really bad for weight loss. Personally, I never drank pop. I'd rather eat my calories!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I just found this quote online:

"Phosphoric Acid
    Dark sodas also contain phosphoric acid, which increases bone fragility, according to the Mayo Clinic Periodical. Phosphoric acid intake, particularly in teenage girls, affects not only calcium homeostasis in the body, but also encourages the development of hypocalcemia, an advanced stage of calcium deficiency that can result in hospitalization."

This.

Ever heard the scare about how Coke and Pepsi can get the grime off of car rims better than your car wash? Try it...seriously.

Most doctors tell women to stay away from dark sodas because they can add to calcium loss speeding the process of osteoporosis at earlier ages.

Not to mention they dehydrate the crap out of you. Literally. People who drink them, even their beloved but equally bad for you diet sodas, don't even realize how dehydrated they really are until they stop drinking them and start drinking water. I was one of them.

Not to say that "clear" sodas of my favorite "yellow" sodas are any healthier...cause there's so much artificial crap in them all it's scary. But the above is why most doctors scare their patients away from the dark ones.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I just found this quote online:

"Phosphoric Acid
    Dark sodas also contain phosphoric acid, which increases bone fragility, according to the Mayo Clinic Periodical. Phosphoric acid intake, particularly in teenage girls, affects not only calcium homeostasis in the body, but also encourages the development of hypocalcemia, an advanced stage of calcium deficiency that can result in hospitalization."

This.

Ever heard the scare about how Coke and Pepsi can get the grime off of car rims better than your car wash? Try it...seriously.

I got a better one for you.. Cleaning the tub. Someone I know cleans the grime off her tub with it and also uses it for some other reasons, forget what they are though.
  • edorice
    Options
    Most dark sodas have caffeine - maybe that's the issue?

That's the reasoning my sister-in-law's doc gave her. He said all dark sodas, except root beer have caffeine so avoid giving them to kids. I think it's interesting that he never once mentioned that ALL sodas are full of sugar and really shouldn't be given to kids for THAT reason. Go figure.

But Mountain Dew seems to have more caffeine in it than all the sodas put together.