organizing a 5k, half and full marathon

Options
Hey everyone. I need your help! I want to organize a running event as a fundraiser for my church, but I have not a single clue on where to even start. Is there anyone that can give me advise on how to make this a success? What works, what doesn't? Getting the work out? We want to raise funds to host events for the youth and community.

Thanks,

Replies

• wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of advice, but we are organizing our first charity 5K at our church right now, so I'm learning along the way.

Here are a few bits of information and ideas that might get you started.

1) If no one involved has experience, I think that the 5K idea is the right place to start - maybe a combined 5k/10k event... half marathons and marathons take exponentially more resources/volunteer support and professional management to pull off well, and are not for the faint hearted to take on with no prior race director experience.

2) Do a google search for race timing companies in your area (and/or go to a few local 5K races and talk to the people who are timing the races). Many of these companies are small (1-2 person) operations with LOTS of experience and are willing for a small consulting fee to guide organizations through the process of starting a charity race. We found a local race timing company who has been a huge asset.

3) Try to think far in advance of your planned race date about the venue... this has been the hardest part for us, since we are a small church and do not have our own facility.

4) For best success, check the race calendars from the past few years in your area to see what other races are already established around the time you want to hold your event. If there are other big events on the same day, you are limiting your audience since many runners will likely go to the established event instead of yours.

5) For a 5K event, especially a fund-raising event, consider making the event a 5k run/walk. As long as the runners are allowed to take off a little bit before the walkers (a few second - maybe 30 seconds) they don't really mind the combined event, and that makes it much more family friendly and will allow you to sign up more participants (and therefore raise more money).

6) The major categories of expense that we've been focusing on are:

A. T-Shirts. Most folks expect a t-shirt for their entry fee. This is also a good way to get sponsorship money.

B. Insurance (if necessary as an additional policy - your church's policy might cover it)

C. Port-a-potties (if necessary... depending on size of the race and the venue, there might be adequate bathroom facilities already. Fortunately, this is an expense that is fairly easy to scale up closer to race day if you end up with a lot of registrants).

D. Cost of EMS/Police coverage. If you are on open roads and/or need to close roads, you will need some police presence along the course and there is often a cost associated. Similarly, most insurance policies are going to require you to have Emergency Medical personnel on standby at the race... also with some cost.

E. Race timing services. This is normally a base fee + a per-runner cost. If you are going to try to appeal to serious, hard-core runners, be sure to look into chip timing and not just tear off tab timing.

F. Water/refreshments - adequate water and refreshments for before and after the race are essential/expected by runners. For a 5K, usually only one on-course water station is really required. For a 10K at least 2-3 are needed. But also, don't forget the before/after race water available at your start/finish.

G. Race registration fees. One of the reasons that races are becoming so popular is that online registration services take a lot of the administrative work out of the day-to-day realm and handle the registration/billing for you... but they do take a cut for their services. This can add up to serious dollars. Active.com is the 800 pound gorilla of this service industry, and from what we have found, their services are not unreasonably prices, but there usually are cheaper local alternatives. Fortunately, none of these services seems to require exclusivity, so its possible to work with more than one at the same time.

7) There are two major ways that you raise money with an event like this: entry fees and sponsorships. Whatever the combination of funds you get, a good goal is to have the sponsorships cover the costs (or nearly so) so that the revenue generated by the entry fees is almost entirely available as the funds you raise from the event.

Sponsors can receive a mention on the race t-shirt, or mentions on on-course signage, or for a big enough fee (if the size of the event warrants it) can be the naming sponsor of the event. But, since this is a church-affiliated event, don't forget the possibility of having individuals or families be sponsors as well... for a simple name on the t-shirt at a low sponsorship level.

That's a lot more that I initially intended, but its a brain dump of the issues we are facing/dealing with.

Good luck!

Ted
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How about trying to get a local running club on board. Chances are they will have organised similar events. A lot depends on your numbers. I am not sure how ambitious you are about numbers but you will do very well to attract more than a few 100 at a first attempt.

We have a local 5k 'parkrun' event every week with a 100-150 participants and it takes about 6 volunteers to organise starts, timing, course etc. You can scale that up if you get bigger numbers. Avoid public roads if you can - use a local park or campus - even if you need to do a few laps - then it will definitely simplify things around course setting, permissions, safety, traffic control etc.

Running laps also means you can have Registration, Start, Finish, Water all in the one location - simplifies a lot of logistics and requires less bodies.
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. That is great information.

Anyone else?
  • stevenanderson123
    Options
    There is a great page that discuses how to make a 5K here:
    https://www.raceentry.com/how-to-organize-a-5k

It is a bit long, but it has lot's of great details on things you need to do when planning a new race.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I put on a 5k as a fundraiser for my girls basketball program.

We are actually looking to change it from a road race to an obstacle course race this year.

Anyway, get in touch with a good timing company and get their help. That is most crucial!

Get lots of good volunteers to help you.

To make money on a race, SPONSORS are key.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - stick with 5K ( & maybe 10K) your first time out.

Perhaps there is a local race director who is willing to show you the ropes?

Lots to consider with timing, road closures, parking, traffic control, etc. The people directly supporting your cause will be forgiving, but runners with no connection are only interested in a well orchestrated race. Top of the list are: accurate distance course, proper timing and prompt results. Without that they can just run on their own for free.
  • kduncan773
    kduncan773 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, you can check out our free guides. It covers items such as getting permits, acquiring volunteers, technology etc..
    How to organize a 5K race
    &
    How to organize a marathon
  • erinjruns
    erinjruns Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    From first-hand experience, you will NOT make any money your first year or two of putting on a race. There are a ton of logistics that go into putting on even a 5K. The first is getting a course set, which requires someone who is a certified course marker to put the course into place and file it with USATF. Once it comes back, you will need to pull permits with the city. It doesn't matter if you don't cross a single street and will only run around on a sidewalk in a park. You MUST have permits. Once they tell you whether they will allow it or not, you may have to have the course amended. For a 5K, it's best to have a water stop at the one mile point. That way you can do an out and back and the runners hit it twice. Depending on the part of the country you are in (if it's really hot), this is a concern. You can do just water, but you will have to make sure you have at least seven - ten volunteers to hand out the water and clean up after. A timing company is your best option for taking care of bibs and chips. The cost is nominal. Registration is also something you will have to outsource unless you want to do it all by hand. That would severly limit your options.

Runners expect at least a shirt at packet pick-up. You will need to staff that somewhere for the two or three days before the race. If you only have race-day pickup, you will have to deal with bag check and more volunteers. Shirts are expensive and runners are notorious for not registering until the last minute, making the ability to only order what you need impossible. Insurance is what will really start to add up. You must have insurance. Portos are a requirement by the city and cost about $50 per day per porto. You should plan on ordering one per fifty runners. Police and fire/EMS don't do any of this stuff for free and are required by the city as well. By the way, your insurance policy doesn't cover them, they may require additional insurance. Then you need awards. If you say you will give out awards three deep in every fiv-year age band, you have to have them whether you get an 80 year old woman running or not. Finally, depending on the city, competition is fierce! In Dallas, I can choose between more than ten 5Ks every weekend to participate in (one weekend there were over 30!) and the smaller ones just don't get the draw you will see at the bigger races with the finishers medals and bands on the coursse. Check out RRCA.org for more information on all of this.

All of this to say, it's a six month project if you're aggressive and you won't make very much money the first few times you do it.

Alternatively, some of the larger half marathons and marathons pay a small sum ($250-500) for non-profits that work at water stops. It's a heck of a lot easier and less work! You may want to see if you can find one to hook up with.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the 5k distance. A local school puts on a 5k fun run which takes out some of the expenses because no one expects a lot of the race perks. I think they were targeting the color/ glow run type people and didn't even try to have it be competitive. The entry cost is low so they get more people. They make it explicit that it's a fundraiser and don't offer t-shirts so your $10 or $15 goes further. They did have a water stop but the course distance wasn't certified (or even accurate as it was about 5.25 k) and it wasn't timed. My company was a sponsor and paid our entries so the lack of 'racing' didn't bother me. One thing they did do is have booths for sponsors and then sold raffle tickets (in addition to the one you got as a runner) for prizes.

Making it an out and back can make it cheaper but usually isn't as scenic.