For those who wear glasses...

Options
Do you take off your glasses (either go "blind" or switch to contacts) when you work out? I've been going to the gym for a few weeks now and I never really think much about it but have always kept my glasses on. I don't see anyone else doing the same, though, and I guess I'm just curious how others go about it. I don't wear contacts at all, so it'd either be glasses or staring at blurry stuff while I work out, so maybe that's why I keep them on! Anyone else keep 'em on or is it really just me?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Contacts never work for me for long, no matter how many times I try them. I wear my glasses to work out, no problems.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses to avoid hurting myself. There are specific glasses you can wear while doing sports, etc. so maybe look into those?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I like my contacts, but they are so much work...
    Usually I just wear my glasses though. A bit of a pain when running in the rain, but otherwise ok, except for swimming.
  • brunetteavoxgirl
    brunetteavoxgirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wear mine if I'm doing something that I don't think will cause them to fly off.
    For yoga, though, I just go blind. It's dark in there anyway.
    I do have contacts, but when I sweat, and it gets in my eyes, I can't handle that.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses. I haven't worn contacts in many years and have no plans to get any again. I will continue to wear my glasses while working out. If I attempted to workout without them, it would be quite dangerous for me and those nearby. :laugh: I may consider purchasing a workout pair of glasses though.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I hate how they get fogged up at the bottom when I start to sweat but I'd kill myself tripping over something if I didn't wear my glasses to the gym. I even have prescription goggles (face mask for scuba diving, anyway) I can use in the pool. I literally only wear contacts when I'm in renaissance faire garb because I can't stand being anachronistic.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I always wear my contacts when I ride my bike because I usually need sunglasses, and I need something that really covers my eye area closely. My sunglasses are great because they're meant to wear while getting sweaty and have non slip nose pads. The contacts dry my eyes out too much to wear them except when I really need to. When I ride on the trainer indoors, I just ride without my glasses since I'm just staring at the floor anyway or my Garmin which is close. I wear my glasses when I work out unless I'm planking or doing pushups that makes them slip, but I only workout at home. One more reason to stay out the gym Lol
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't have contacts so I always wear my glasses when I work. My balance suffers when I don't wear them and the blurriness gives me a headache. I need my balance when lifting so there is way I'd go without them. They tend to slip off my nose if I get too sweaty but I think they are a little loose and need to be tightened anyway and I haven't got around to it.
  • HayleyMB1284
    HayleyMB1284 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses to workout. Sometimes I'll go blind but fir the most part they are on. I feel nerdy but then it's like who I got to impress. I don't like contacts..I don't like having to put something like that in my eye ball. I never have any problems with wearing my glasses. I don't like it when it rains or whatever but that's about it . So I wear them.and look nerdy. Lol
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses. I do take them off when I lay down to lift something but it's usually not for very long.
  • adeptus_lupus
    adeptus_lupus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wear mine when sparring or at the gym (when ever I manage to get in) but I have a pair of the sports goggles someone mentioned for competitive games. They look a little silly, but dont fog and are super clingy to my face so they wont fly off.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my glasses when I work out. However, my vision isn't so bad that I'm a danger to myself or anybody else by taking them off. :laugh:
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I always wore my glasses,

until I got LASIK, best thing I ever did.

Only time I didn't wear glasses was when I was swimming laps. And it sucked not being able to see the clock, even the giant one.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I usually wear contacts but for late evening classes, my eyes usually need a rest so I wear glasses. These last weeks I am recovering from an eye injury, so it has been glasses only. Without glasses, I could never participate in any activity, I would be crawling on the floor trying to find the dumbbels.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Contact lenses, though I usually switch to glasses on my rest days because it's nice to have a break. And I'm not working out so they won't be sliding down my nose.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I always wore my glasses,

until I got LASIK, best thing I ever did.

Only time I didn't wear glasses was when I was swimming laps. And it sucked not being able to see the clock, even the giant one.

Me too, but with contacts. I wore contacts while swimming. I just made sure my goggles were water-tight.

ETA: Until it got to the point where I couldn't wear contacts anymore. Then the weight of my glasses was giving me chronic headaches. Thank heaven for LASIK.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I usually wear my contacts but if I do wear my glasses, I don't see a problem.

And if I run or something where my glasses might flop around, I have a pair like this:

aptimized-jpg-2C171D793747A107627797519957A8C8-Lcw9DsMgDEDhvdfIjvmpCellKgc7JBUpqIDU47dDpqdveWjuE1r9tV7frk577$UBkFPkt0qZWpM2GqlYTjiFD4JInXJJUD_FR_x$x13AwHFSErg_sPA2B6HVObTIOrAX3NbAdjbOy4KgwYK2iM_hXjX9AA==-fcaa9b10.jpg

It might look funny but oh well. You can find them for around 100 bucks too.

(Oh and if anyone is interested, they are called prescription sports goggles.)
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses when working out.
  • jaya_lakshmi27
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing. I have no depth perception, so if I'm going out in my neighborhood for a run, I'm going to wear glasses. If I'm going to the gym and using a machine, I won't wear glasses (low chance of killing something). If I'm dancing or something like that, it depends on the situation. For dance performances, I don't wear glasses. If I'm going to get really aerobic or acrobatic, I won't wear glasses.

If I'm going to get REALLY sweaty or have a low chance of destroying something, I won't wear glasses. Every other time, I have to.

I wear glasses the majority of the time.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses when I workout (sometimes not when I am at home, though), and when I dance. Sometimes I wear my glasses when I perform and sometimes I don't. I am only mildly nearsighted from astigmatism, and one of my eyes is quite good vision, though still not perfect. I've never worn contacts yet. Though my twin recently found out he has a genetic degenerative eye condition and contacts actually prevent the decline. I guess I need to be checked for that as well. I don't wear contacts because I rub my eyes and blink a lot.