Gaining weight just from going over daily intake?

Options
So ive been worrying sick about gaining weight i don't know why but this question ive always wanted to know the answer too

Is going over your calorie intake the only way you gain weight? so for example going over 7000 calories is the only way to put on a kg? I've been eating alot lately and i mean 16 weetbix and 4 slices of toast before dinner a lot every day so 1250-1400 cals, but ofcourse im getting exercise in everyday, 1 hour of stationary bike every day, soccer training twice a week and 2 indoor games (30mins each) once a week and then a 90 minute match on a sunday so I'm getting alot of exercise in but im still worrying alot about how much im eating lately its weird, i never go over 2500 calories. My BMR is 1691 and I'm 58 kgs 182 cms. (MALE)

So is going over the intake the only way you can gain weight ( put on kilos? )

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    That depends. If it's a constant gain (not water retention), then it's a 99.99% chance it's fat from excess calories. There are some medical issues that could make you gain weight but normally if you're gaining weight, it's because of excess calories.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about gaining weight. If you notice yourself gaining, just cut down your calorie in take a bit and you'll be fine.
  • ericscontreras
    Options
    I hate to be a drag but going over calories is not the only way to gain weight. Research has shown that stress (cortisol and adrenal levels), lack of sleep, food sensitivities, and an imbalanced diet can all lead to weight gain.

Don't stress about being stress though. Sounds like you have a lot of cardiovascular exercise to burn those carbohydrates your taking in. My only concern is if you were to stop that cardio for a few weeks and continued to eat the same you might see a increase in weight. That's alot of gluten loaded carbs with no immediate burn in sight, so fat storage is very possible. Hope this helped
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Undigested food can also lead to weight gain,sugar imbalance,excess sugar in diet,excess fat or meat in diet,allergies,stress..etc
  • oshjj
    oshjj Posts: 17
    Options
    I have also tested out scoobysworkshop calculator too see how much calories i should be taking in to maintain and its saying 3144? seems abit too much to me
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Those things 'may' affect you metabolism BUT the only way that weight is gained is from EATING... All your body mass comes from what you shove in your gob.

What your body does with it will vary (different foods are metabolised in different ways) but you ain't gaining weight from Stress without eating something!!

Food can be used for Energy, building/repairing your body.... stored or Pooped.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    58kg at 182cm???

surely you want to be gaining wait?

im 175cm and my "healthy weight" by BMI is 67kg but anything below 75kg and i rekon i will look like a weed.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    OP I think you may be suffering from an eating disorder, from this and your previous posts. Please speak to your Dr and/or family to get some help with this.
    Either way you're not eating enough for your activity level and you are very underweight for your height and gender.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My doc said at the simplest level it's calories in < Calories out. There's things that can affect it (like stress, extreme diets or muscle gain) but as a whole and what most people will concern themselves with is the amount you eat staying within a healthy range.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    He's right when he says "simplest level".. because not all calories are made equal. Different foods are metabolised differently by our bodies. .. We know this because we get a sugar rush from eating a chocolate bar (say 500cals) but we don't when we eat the same number of calories of say Burger.

It is an over simplification .. but it's what we've got to work with.. :ohwell:
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    So ive been worrying sick about gaining weight i don't know why but this question ive always wanted to know the answer too

Is going over your calorie intake the only way you gain weight? so for example going over 7000 calories is the only way to put on a kg? I've been eating alot lately and i mean 16 weetbix and 4 slices of toast before dinner a lot every day so 1250-1400 cals, but ofcourse im getting exercise in everyday, 1 hour of stationary bike every day, soccer training twice a week and 2 indoor games (30mins each) once a week and then a 90 minute match on a sunday so I'm getting alot of exercise in but im still worrying alot about how much im eating lately its weird, i never go over 2500 calories. My BMR is 1691 and I'm 58 kgs 182 cms. (MALE)

So is going over the intake the only way you can gain weight ( put on kilos? )

I'm a female. Without any exercise, I can eat around 2,000 calories/day for maintenance. Now, if I did as much exercise as you, I'd eat back ALL of those calories, no questions asked, even if it put me over 2,500 calories/day. Heck, I eat over 3,000 calories one day/week.

The number you're getting is probably not too much given your activity level/height/whatever. Not saying you should jump right on that but you could probably slowly increase your calories without gaining any weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I hate to be a drag but going over calories is not the only way to gain weight. Research has shown that stress (cortisol and adrenal levels), lack of sleep, food sensitivities, and an imbalanced diet can all lead to weight gain.

Don't stress about being stress though. Sounds like you have a lot of cardiovascular exercise to burn those carbohydrates your taking in. My only concern is if you were to stop that cardio for a few weeks and continued to eat the same you might see a increase in weight. That's alot of gluten loaded carbs with no immediate burn in sight, so fat storage is very possible. Hope this helped

so I can under eat and gain weight?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    op - if we are talking fat gain ..then yes overeating is the only way to gain weight…just like eating in a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight..

I am confused though ..are you trying to lose weight or gain weight?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    58 Kg and 182 cm???

I'm 59 kg and 170 cm, and I'm a relatively skinny female who spent the past 5 months gaining weight so I wouldn't look so skinny.

Eat. Then when you feel stuffed and gross, eat some more. Preferably protein. Put those nasty wheatabix things away and pick up a chicken leg or 5.

Oh, and pick up a few weights.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP I think you may be suffering from an eating disorder, from this and your previous posts. Please speak to your Dr and/or family to get some help with this.
    Either way you're not eating enough for your activity level and you are very underweight for your height and gender.

This.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're hungry. Carbs give you a fast boost to your blood sugar and can be burned quickly (good if you need fast energy) but do make you want MORE food fairly soon. Sugar makes you want more sugar and bread turns rapidly into sugar in your system.

Why don't you try eating some protein with or instead of that toast? Peanut butter, nuts, cheese, a big glass of milk? You may find it cuts the cravings.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You were trying to maintain at 61.3 kg (bmi 18.5) in December, now in April you're 58kg (bmi 17.5) and 'worried sick' about gaining weight?

OP, I'm sorry to sound alarmist, but these are signs of developing an eating disorder. You really need to start seeing someone about this before it gets worse.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    You were trying to maintain at 61.3 kg (bmi 18.5) in December, now in April you're 58kg (bmi 17.5) and 'worried sick' about gaining weight?

OP, I'm sorry to sound alarmist, but these are signs of developing an eating disorder. You really need to start seeing someone about this before it gets worse.

I agree!