Eggs

Options

Replies

• Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    I only like my eggs two ways…[edited to shorten]… over medium with toast and meat, preferably fried in butter or bacon fat.
    Surely you could have fried eggs, over medium, served on top of some bacon or other meat? Add some tomato, spinach or avocado if you like them. Quick & simple.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of traditional breakfast type eggs you might enjoy deviled eggs in the morning? I make them with plain Greek yogurt, a little mustard, a splash of dill pickle juice, and a sprinkle of pepper and paprika. Or perhaps a similarly styled egg salad?
  • l_s_85
    l_s_85 Posts: 5
    Options
    Bump
  • lizwizCYLS
    lizwizCYLS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like the way you think....had'nt thought of more lunch style types

altho I should have....I'm the 1 who eats more savoury oatmeal (made with a bit of butter & garlic) as a side dish because I am soooo tired of rice & pasta

THX for the pointer eh!
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    :sad: wheat issues.. gluten intolerance?

:blushing: So egg custard is no good? :blushing:

POSSIBLE wheat issue and/or gluten intorlerance. I AM SERIOUSLY HOPING THEY ARE WRONG!!!!
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options
    You could make overnight refrigerator oats with 1. Gluten free oats 1/3 C
    2. 1/3 C nonfat plain Greek yogurt
    3. 1/3 C nonfat milk or almond milk
    4. Splenda and a little fruit like 4 strawberries
    5. Egg Whites from a carton like 2 T
    You mix it up, put it in the fridge, next morning eat.

Sounds yummy...but is it safe to eat egg whites raw?
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options
    Maybe instead of traditional breakfast type eggs you might enjoy deviled eggs in the morning? I make them with plain Greek yogurt, a little mustard, a splash of dill pickle juice, and a sprinkle of pepper and paprika. Or perhaps a similarly styled egg salad?

Those wouldn't survive a single hour in my house...hubby will demolish anything remotely close to a deviled egg.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've just seen this recipe: http://www.ringfingertanline.com/2013/04/22/grab-go-breakfast-muffins/ You can make a batch and freeze them too. I'm always looking for on-the-go breakfast ideas and I LOVE eggs.

Also, I've made something similar to these before and they are delicious: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/eggs-in-a-bacon-basket-recipe.html

I also like to bake eggs in avocado halves: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-with-baking-eggs-in-avocados-192975
  • pikadora
    pikadora Posts: 1
    Options
    If you prefer something sweet in the morning you could try 2 ingredient pancakes (mashed banana and egg) - it's healthy and really quite tasty. I sometimes add a bit of protein powder too to replace flour. You can find recipes on the web!
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like the way you think....had'nt thought of more lunch style types

altho I should have....I'm the 1 who eats more savoury oatmeal (made with a bit of butter & garlic) as a side dish because I am soooo tired of rice & pasta

THX for the pointer eh!

Aww...happy to spark your creativity this morning:smile: Pondering garlic oatmeal.....intriguing idea!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Could you not substitute the bread for the gluten free variety? To be fair I don't know what it tastes like, but might be worth a try.

As for the eggs, I make scotch eggs for breakfast. You can make a batch of them and grab one on the way to work if you are always in a hurry. They are good for about 3 days in the fridge.

1 hard-boiled egg.
    2 sausages of your choice (I use Tesco healthy living range, only 150 cals for two sausages)
    2 tbsp breadcrumbs
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the seasoning and breadcrumbs.
    Remove the skins from the sausages, wrap round the egg and roll in the breadcrumb mixture until well coated.
    Cook at 200 degrees for approx 25 minutes, turning halfway through.

As easy as that. 260 cals each and 26g protein.
  • tomebradley
    tomebradley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Omelette!!! Chuck in some vegetables to change the consistancy
  • Meggpie93
    Meggpie93 Posts: 12
    Options
    Have a look at this. It's like the ones from McD's but better! And so easy and quick to make!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1099770

Means you'll get egg, cheese, meat and your bread. :smile:
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Have a look online for sweet potato pancake recipes. Basically just sweet potato with egg and cinnamon if you want it. More of an omelet but better texture. I have mine with salad or raw veg.
    (I also have gluten issues, atm I have plain yogurt with nuts and seeds for breakfast.)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Okay so my personal trainer and nutritionist are encouraging me to add eggs to my diet, specifically to breakfast. They also want me to eliminate my morning toast. The problem? I only like my eggs two ways. The first is "eggies in a basket" (cut a hole in bread, butter the heck out of it, drop it in a pan, crack the egg into the hole, fry up together, until the yoke is just barely still runny) or over medium with toast and meat, preferably fried in butter or bacon fat. Obvisously not what they intended. So I need ideas on how to make eggs (and specifically egg whites) more tolerable. The consitency of scrambled eggs makes me gag just thinking about them (doesn't matter if you add anything to it, still can't stand them) and hard-boiled eggs don't float my boat either. MFP is my last hope before I go back to the nutritionist and say "Nope, can't do the egg thing"

Eggs in butter or bacon should hit the spot, just drop the bread.

Protein for breakfast yum, yum.

If you are going to cook your eggs in bacon fat, why not add some bacon?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Fried eggs over hash brown potatoes made with onion, peppers, mushrooms and herbs is better than toast.
  • Rskaer
    Rskaer Posts: 14
    Options
    i line the cups of a muffin tin with a piece of thin sliced deli meat (turkey or chicken usually), then crack the egg, or egg white into the "meat cup" sprinkle with a bit of my favorite cheese and bake it. these are very portable and yummy. I have also added fresh spinach, you can add anything you like really.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I fry 2 egg whites and one whole egg with some zero calorie cooking spray. I use one piece of cheese and cut it in thirds so each egg gets a little cheese and I cook up a slice of ham to go with. It's delicious
  • freebutterfly02
    freebutterfly02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    BTW both your trainer & your nutritionist are RIGHT....eggs for breakfast gives me far more control for the rest of the day & I'm not only not having the cravings but I easily eat likely about 300-400 calories a day less than on non-egg days

I took a look at my food diary and realized i'm same way, I eat a lot more extra calories on non-egg days but I'm scared to eat
    more eggs than twice a week, I know some say they are not bad but in my family high cholesterol is a big concern.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options
    i line the cups of a muffin tin with a piece of thin sliced deli meat (turkey or chicken usually), then crack the egg, or egg white into the "meat cup" sprinkle with a bit of my favorite cheese and bake it. these are very portable and yummy. I have also added fresh spinach, you can add anything you like really.

oOo never would have thought of this one! THANKS!