Sweet potato fries?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
So that's what's for dinner, but all my attempts so far at making homemade fries have ended up in not crispy fries.

Any tip on how to make them crispy? And what to season them with? We're having steak and salad with them (with gorgonzola).

Replies

• Francl27
    Options
    Don't they stick to the foil though? I always have that problem :(
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    they wont stick to bad if you dont leave it for ages before turning! I always get a couple that stick bad but I just peal the foil off lol
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you use parchment paper they won't stick
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Do you have a cooking stone? I make amazing fluffly, baked "steak" fries with mine all the time, both sweet potato and regular potato.

Slice the scrubbed potatoes into wedges, align on a cooking stone, spritzed with olive or veggie oil, bake at 450, turning once as needed and checking every five to ten minutes until done.

All the potato-y goodness, no fried garbage.

Enjoy!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Cut potatoes
    coat with olive oil
    shake in a bowl with flour, salt, flavour of choice (Montreal steak spice is the hit right now in our house)
    bake for 30ish minutes at 350 - crispy and delicious.

We also use parchment paper, and flip every 8 minutes or so.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Another tip is to heat the pan in the oven first and put them on the hot pan and then bake them.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Another tip is to heat the pan in the oven first and put them on the hot pan and then bake them.

This is what I was gonig to suggest as well. A friend of mine discovered this when trying to get crispier homemade chicken wings. When she preheated the pan, they came out much better!

Also, sometimes even if you toss foods in oil they can still stick to the pan. When I do a veggie roast, I also spray the tinfoil lining. Or sometimes I splurge and get the tinfoil that's already got the nonstick coating on it.
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Love them! I don't mind If they are soft but I have read recipes that suggest a wire rack in order for the air to circulate and they get crispy all over. I sometimes use cajun seasoning, but moslty like them plain.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah no wire rack. I'll try parchment paper and using spray on that too.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I bake sweet potato fries at a higher temperature, more like 425. They are not 'crispy' but they are firm. I cook them for 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes.

I toss with cayenne pepper and sip in BBQ sauce!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If you soak them in ice water first for 45 minutes, you will have more crispy luck. Also, shake lightly with flour or cornstarch.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Mine come out crispier if I cut the potato in slices rather than long strips. You can cut it thinner that way.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I make fries, sweet potato fries and celeriac fries in the oven.

I wedge the vedge (weight each veg type) put them all in a plastic bag and add 1/2 tsp of oil and seasoning. Rub the oil into all of the veg sticks, try to get a little on each side of eag stick, you'll need less oil than you expect. But if I'm doing a big batch I may add another 1/2 tsp.

I spread them out so they're not touching on a baking tray and put them in a pre-heated oven at 180C to 220C.
    the potato chips take 40-60 minutes
    the sweet potato and celeric take 20-30 minutes

I check and turn after about 15 minutes and adjust temperature and timings accordingly to fit the other stuff i'm doing

recent new recipe we've tried a couple of times is home made "fish& chips" using coley fillets in panko breadcrumbs with celeriac and sweet potato fries, and a large side of peas and home-made tartar sauce YUMYUM and all for about 500calories

don't forget to log your oil
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am literally sitting in my office salivating. Thanks guys for all of the recipes and tips!

P
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    and celeriac fries in the oven.

Never thought of that! I used to take celeriac, roast it and blend it up to make a soup. Never thought to do fries.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I prefer cubes....cut them in cubes ,,,preheat 400....cook 40 min.

Mix them before with little bit of oil and spices (i like to put paprika)

I prefer them that way.