Anyone else workout first thing in the morning?

Options

Replies

• kevingrant1
    kevingrant1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cup of coffee with one splenda.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    On MWF I eat a breakfast before I go. It's usually oatmeal with fruit and a protein shake. On Tuesdays/Thursdays I get up at 5 and go at 5:30 and work out until 7am and I don't eat anything before I go I eat after. I'd do whatever works for you though!

Ps, I love waking up early and going to the gym. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but it's so great!!!
  • adgilman
    adgilman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I work out at 4:30am and I have 1/2 cup of black coffee (to wake me up) and sometimes a 1/2 of a Quest protein bar. Some mornings I need a little something in the belly. Other mornings coffee is just fin. About 5:30am I come home and cook 3-4 egg whites, and 1 protien organic waffle or oatmeal for breakfast.
    This works great for me! I mostly lift in the mornings with my trainer.
    Hope this helps :)
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options
    Weekdays I am dressed and working out by 4:30am. I never eat before I work out- even when I am running a half-marathon. My stomach just can't handle it (believe me, I've tried- I just get sick).
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 0455, I drink a glass or two of water, eat a Quest Bar and I'm out the door to the office, (we have a gym). I'm usually there and starting my workout no later that 7am.
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    I am up about an hour and a half before the gym. Right when I get up I have a cup of coffee, 10 egg whites and a little cheese. Then right before I leave I have a little protein, beta alanine, sugar and creatine. Then to the gym. I have gone on an empty stomach before and for me my workouts seem sluggish.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:05am, eat 1/2c oats with soy milk, protein powder, ground flax seed, and 1/3c blueberries along with my pre-workout drink. At the gym by 5am. Workout for ~45 mins or so, protein shake right after. I can eat anytime without stomach upset. It's a blessing and a curse.
  • jeschauvin
    Options
    I do the same. Wake up at 5, get dressed and out the door. I don't eat anything but I do make a pre-drink. Cellucor C4. As soon as I get home I make my whey shake with almond milk around 7/7:30 and eat breakfast (eggs, or oats, or banana) when I get to the office around 8:30 or 9.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Favorite time to go for a run is as the world is waking up. It's dark and quiet when I head out and by the time I am heading home the sun is just starting to rise and the birds are singing. It's really quite beautiful. I also don't eat first but do have some coffee before heading out.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I like working out first thing in the morning. In my cardio-only days I never ate first, but since I've started Stronglifts I found out that I can't lift with an empty stomach, so I eat something with carbs and fiber.
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love ON Amino Energy Drink...I drink it before and during my workout. I do T25 workouts at home most mornings and getting up around 4:45am to workout doesn't really allow much time for eating anything prior. I find that a protein shake before bed and a good night sleep help and most days I get in a good workout.

Really, a protein shake before bed? I've never thought of that, I generally don't eat after 7ish.

I don't have one everyone night, and It's nothing high calorie - usually around 150 cals, but when I do have it I'm usually not ravenous and feel pretty good in the morning.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat only when I know I'm going to do a lot of weight training.

Otherwise, get up between 5:30-6 a.m. and get to it. I used to eat a banana before every morning workout, but I found that I didn't need it, especially if I was only doing cardio. Just do what your body says you should do. If you're dragging during a workout, I think that's a sign that you should eat beforehand.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do! I work out @ 6. I'll drink 8-12 oz of water w/a scoop each of Cellucor C4 & BCAAs which I'll drink before and during my workout. My breakfast-eating window is within in hour of my workout, more or less. I'm usually pretty hungry within the hour though =)
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    morning workout almost every day for me. if i eat before it either a bowl of oatmeal or grits and a banana with 1 scoop of whey. good fast carbs, good lasting carbs, and good protein.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my early morning workouts. I drink water during and don't usually eat or drink anything else until after I've showered and gotten to work.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I get up around 530a get to the gym a little after 6. Work out for about 45 minutes, shower and head to work. I usually eat a fiber bar when I get to work for breakfast. I am not a big eater in the morning. I know it suppose to be healthier and more conducive for weight loss, but just can motivate myself to eat something more substantial.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I do but not as early as you all tend to do. Out the house around 7am to gym by 7:30am or out for a run.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I generally work out after I get home in the evening. I did get up at 5:15 this morning to exercise but my body made it quite clear we were only doing coffee that early. So I'll resume once I get home today.
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:35 every morning and at the gym by 4:55.. I do all of my workouts (lifting and cardio) fasted.. I'd love to be able to eat before though, because on my days off work when I workout and have more time before to eat, I find that I perform much, much better.

I've tried taking my BCAAs pre-workout and don't find that they do anything for my performance, so I stick to those post workout.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have been getting up a few mornings a week lately. I just got a treadmill, so I get up around 6am, have a quick coffee if I have time, and depending on how I feel, I will either have a small snack, like a piece of toast, otherwise i'll just eat after I'm done. I usually just walk in the mornings. I don't have the energy to do a full blown workout, I save those for evenings.