Keep considering Paleo

Options
I tried a Whole 30 a while back and made it about 5-6 days before getting off track. I still lost 6 pounds that week, and I really enjoyed eating that way. MOST of my food cooked at home is Paleo friendly (though not super strict- I can't afford the right meats to be perfectly strict paleo, but I don't eat many grains, I only cook with olive and coconut oils, etc.)

There are a few things about switching to Paleo that will be somewhat of a challenge. I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I don't eat them often because I don't eat too much bread. I also love peanut butter on celery and apples. However, I ALSO like almond butter, and even though it's more expensive, that's a pretty easy swap to make. I also like things like hummus, but I don't eat it often.

The MAIN thing that is a challenge is the dairy thing. I drink whole milk in moderation, and LOVE cheese and Greek yogurt (plain 2% sweetened with honey or maple syrup). I suppose I do eat too much cheese, and don't need it every day, but I don't know if I can completely give up dairy. Everything from the parmesan shreds on my favorite salad to greek yogurt dip with veggies to milk mixed with vanilla, chia seeds, and honey as a dessert.

I've had canned, full-fat coconut milk (though it isn't always the best option for me), and I can definitely look for a safe brand of almond milk (or eventually try making my own).

I just don't know about giving up dairy entirely.

I do plan on having a cheat meal once a week (like I do now), plus there will be certain days that will be "free" days (like my Birthday), but even that seems like it's too much.

Plus, I don't always eat the healthiest foods. I'll admit, I DO go to Taco Bell on occasion for dinner- within my WW point range though.

Replies

• srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    moderation of everything, dont give up anything. you want a lifestyle change that will stick, dont get rid of whole food groups if you dont have to. You going to live your whole life without icecream? probably not, just eat 80% good stuff and then learn to live and moderate the rest. No special food to buy, no guilt, and you can eat anywhere instead of not being able to eat out or at a party. Paleo is just a phase in 10 years it will be something else.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like Mark Sisson's (Mark's Daily Apple) Primal approach. To simplify, it's paleo with limited dairy and operates on the 80/20 rule. 80% on point and 20% room to have things you love.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    First, are you asking a question or just "talking" out loud?

And second... if weight loss is your only motivation? Read this before you fad diet: http://www.examiner.com/article/new-study-shows-counting-calories-works-best-for-weight-loss-how-to-benefit

Good luck!
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I follow a more Primal approach to Paleo, and I love it. I still eat dairy (all the time actually, I practically live off Greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter and honey, and always eat shredded cheese on my eggs), and I decided to add peanut butter back in, mainly for the expense reason :) If you enjoyed your Whole 30 and don't have any intolerances, maybe Primal is perfect for you as well :) Good luck!!!
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've done it, and meh. The first go round, I felt awesome, it was great and the second time wasn't super-awesome all the time. It's just not for me - not knocking for others, but I've found I'm much happier not agonizing over almond and coconut flour and kicking out all dairy. Straight up, for me, life isn't worth living without cheese. Limiting cheese? Sure. Important. Incorporating some of the paleo dishes I liked and remembering how great vegetables can be? Great! Think about the sourcing of my foods? Right on.

But I do better with an 80/20 approach. You might as well. Maybe even "eat clean" on weekdays and save your occasional Taco Bell or wedge of Stilton (just me?) for the weekend or special occasions.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly have traditional "weekends" because I work a retail job. My days off are hopefully going to be Tuesday and Thursday starting next month when I get back to school, but I see your point. I'm definitely going to take Mondays off from Paleo eating if I decide to take this approach.

And I think I will be a little flexible about the dairy and maybe SOME added sugar (like flavored yogurt- which I don't eat often anyway), but I'll also definitely need to cut back on dairy. But I suppose being 80% good, but 20% bad (like having a meal out that's cooked with canola oil or having a froyo pop for dessert here and there) wouldn't be a huge deal.

I was just thinking about how when I've gone too long without eating (which is often since I don't get work breaks every day, so I'll go 5-7+ hours between meals), I tend to be more inclined to binge. And pretty much everything I binge on is either high in sugar or filled with grains, so I'm considering going 90% grain free (pretty much saving it for special occasions and Monday nights). If I can cut it out of my everyday diet, I'll be less likely to binge on it. It's not just junky things. 100% whole wheat pasta in too-big portions, sprouted grain english muffins with cream cheese and jelly, etc,
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to go Paleo? Why not just look at different diets, pick the things that you think will work for you and your lifestyle, and ditch the rest of it? You don't need to have a labeled eating style to be healthy and lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you love dairy why would you even consider paleo...ditto with peanut butter...

why not just stay the course you are on now...eat at a reasonable deficet...

I am one of those that doesn't eat a lot of bread/grains as well...mainly because eh not my thing...

But I wont be eliminating my dairy ever...I like my yogurt etc too much.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to go Paleo? Why not just look at different diets, pick the things that you think will work for you and your lifestyle, and ditch the rest of it? You don't need to have a labeled eating style to be healthy and lose weight.

^^^ this. i have no 'diet' anymore. i've done them all. i have decided i feel better not eating a lot of grains. so i don't. but i love fruit and so i eat fruit. i've taken the things i can live without most of the time (bread) but i allow it every now and again as long as i count it in my calories. last night i was craving tacos - so i had a flour tortilla stuffed with everything i love, but i counted it. find what works for you. where can you cut, where can you make exceptions and just stay at a deficit. if you are married to a particular 'diet', i found that it set me up for failure and self-hatred when i couldn't stick with it. better off finding what works for you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly it doesn't sound like Paleo is for you. No shame in that, it's not for me either.

There's no reason to label your diet-- just eat foods that you love and that help you meet your calorie, macro, and micronutrient goals.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I like Mark Sisson's (Mark's Daily Apple) Primal approach. To simplify, it's paleo with limited dairy and operates on the 80/20 rule. 80% on point and 20% room to have things you love.

This. I eat this way and love it. I'm also leaner and smaller than I've ever been.
  • olenka_levina
    olenka_levina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like the 80/20 rule too. I eat mostly Paleo foods, but I did not give up on my Greek yogurt (plain, 0%).
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you are that curious, just try it. Not a lifelong commitment we're talking about here.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Honestly it doesn't sound like Paleo is for you. No shame in that, it's not for me either.

There's no reason to label your diet-- just eat foods that you love and that help you meet your calorie, macro, and micronutrient goals.

This is really the best advice.

OR you could do what it looks like you're planning to do and labeling your diet but not really following it except when you feel like it. And that may work too.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I think different diets work differently for different people.

I personally find Paleo to be perfect for me, but I do primal like Marks Daily Apple, and I have dairy.

I recently went off of my Primal style eating to try a TDEE style diet and rapidly gained weight.

I know TDEE has plenty of scientific research supporting it, and others have had success with it, so I'm not saying it's terrible and doesn't work. I'm saying it's terrible and doesn't work FOR ME.

On TDEE I felt my life was wrapped in numbers, and it felt very unnatural to me.

I don't truly believe I was designed to eat 1,600 exactly every single day.

Some days I was force feeding myself, some starving. I like Paleo.

With Paleo I eat when I want. No one cares if I have 1,200, 1,400 or 1,600 kcal in a day.

With Paleo, it's way easier for me to stay within my calorie goal, so it's really working TDEE and Paleo ideas!

A lot of people hate the word "Paleo" because it is true that with enough number crunching and calorie restriction, you are bound to lose weight. For me personally that was HARD.

If I went over my calories I had to skip dinner or gain a couple of pounds, and my family was NOT happy about that.

It's true that the Paleo diet isn't Paleolithic, that's marketing.

That doesn't change the fact that for ME choosing Paleo foods, recipes, and lifestyle is tremendously rewarding for weight loss, energy levels, and quality of life.

Some of the smartest folks on here are hard core IIFM, TDEE and Paleo.

I'm sure their way works like a charm for them.

I'm not negating their success or their research.

I am sharing my own story. It works for me.

I'm relatively simple. I'm not calculating macros and calories all day because I am a single mom with a full time job.

It's so simple.

I just pick a recipe, cook it, eat it, log it, and 9 times out of 10 I'm below the calorie goal, low-carb, and losing weight.

Good luck.

PS

It is worth noting I am VERY allergic to gluten and came to Paleo from an already gluten free diet.

So, I am allergic to wheat, I live without legumes and other grains (easily!) and have dairy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This is really the best advice.

OR you could do what it looks like you're planning to do and labeling your diet but not really following it except when you feel like it. And that may work too.

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I tried a Whole 30 a while back and made it about 5-6 days before getting off track. I still lost 6 pounds that week, and I really enjoyed eating that way. MOST of my food cooked at home is Paleo friendly (though not super strict- I can't afford the right meats to be perfectly strict paleo, but I don't eat many grains, I only cook with olive and coconut oils, etc.)

There are a few things about switching to Paleo that will be somewhat of a challenge. I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I don't eat them often because I don't eat too much bread. I also love peanut butter on celery and apples. However, I ALSO like almond butter, and even though it's more expensive, that's a pretty easy swap to make. I also like things like hummus, but I don't eat it often.

The MAIN thing that is a challenge is the dairy thing. I drink whole milk in moderation, and LOVE cheese and Greek yogurt (plain 2% sweetened with honey or maple syrup). I suppose I do eat too much cheese, and don't need it every day, but I don't know if I can completely give up dairy. Everything from the parmesan shreds on my favorite salad to greek yogurt dip with veggies to milk mixed with vanilla, chia seeds, and honey as a dessert.

I've had canned, full-fat coconut milk (though it isn't always the best option for me), and I can definitely look for a safe brand of almond milk (or eventually try making my own).

I just don't know about giving up dairy entirely.

I do plan on having a cheat meal once a week (like I do now), plus there will be certain days that will be "free" days (like my Birthday), but even that seems like it's too much.

Plus, I don't always eat the healthiest foods. I'll admit, I DO go to Taco Bell on occasion for dinner- within my WW point range though.

If you really think you will struggle with a paleo or LCHF diet I would suggest not going down that route.

LCHF is a lifestyle change and not for everyone.

Your best bet is to log all of your food and count calories, as long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight. Make sure you are eating enough protein.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you couldn't stick with Whole 30, and you will have to give up healthy foods that you enjoy like hummus, peanut butter and dairy, then why do you keep considering Paleo?

What about Paleo makes it seem like a good fit for you? Do you like the challenge of resisting foods you enjoy?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just got for a more relaxed approach. Think of it as 'nothing processed' perhaps? So, nothing is discounted....so long as it's made from scratch.

That's what I try to stick to 80% of the time. Doesn't always work due to how busy I am, where I am, etc etc, but it's certainly helped me to cut back on the crap and develop a real interest in REAL food. And cooking. I still count calories though, just to be sure.

I have dairy, because I don't seem to have any problem with dairy (unless it's in cheese format, for some reason). So, I have full fat, natural yoghurt, and throw in some berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries - nom) or grapes. That way I get lovely yoghurt AND a sweet fix, but it's not loaded with artificial stuff.

I started buying my own nuts, raw, and just shoving them in the oven, with nothing added for 15-20 minutes so I had a healthier version of my favourite snacks. Now I can't stand the shop bought roasted and salted ones. They are vile!

You can get peanut butter that is made with nothing but peanuts. Same for cashews. Or you could invest in a grinder and make your own.