The Scale is really NOT moving much! :(

Options
Hello Everyone:

I have been really giving it my all when I started again getting back into shape. I have lost a total of 32 lbs. but I am not seeing it on the scale. I am 5'4" and I am still stuck at 176. I am doing 30-45 minutes of cardio whether it is the treadmill (2.5 miles) or the Ellyptical machine. Or sometimes both.... I am lifting heavy bc 1. I love the way it feels. 2. I can handle it. 3. I know this will make me mold my body to what want it to look like.

I will say that I was a size 14 not long ago and now I am fitting size 10 pants I haven't worn in years... even though this all sound GREAT about my clothes, I do want to see a change on the scale.

What can I do differently? Help.... I am currently getting discouraged although I am not going to stop. But I really would liek for the numbers to drop!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

E!

Replies

• VintagePhoenix
    Options
    14 to a size 10 sounds amazing, fork the scales when you can fit into a size 10!

The only person that sees the number on the scales is you, everyone else see what you look like, what you fit in, how toned you are etc - definitely better than a number :)
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone:

I have been really giving it my all when I started again getting back into shape. I have lost a total of 32 lbs. but I am not seeing it on the scale. I am 5'4" and I am still stuck at 176. I am doing 30-45 minutes of cardio whether it is the treadmill (2.5 miles) or the Ellyptical machine. Or sometimes both.... I am lifting heavy bc 1. I love the way it feels. 2. I can handle it. 3. I know this will make me mold my body to what want it to look like.

I will say that I was a size 14 not long ago and now I am fitting size 10 pants I haven't worn in years... even though this all sound GREAT about my clothes, I do want to see a change on the scale.

What can I do differently? Help.... I am currently getting discouraged although I am not going to stop. But I really would liek for the numbers to drop!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

E!

I'm confused. You say that you have lost 32 lbs but you are not seeing it on the scale?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I also have to wonder why you are concerned about the number on the scale if your body is changing and you're losing pants sizes?

In any event....I get how nice it is to continue to see the number on the scale go down. My first thought is that you haven't recalculated your calorie goals since you lost weight and that you are eating closer to maintenance. This would explain why you are still seeing inches lost, but no "weight".

I'm of course assuming that you are weighing, measuring, and logging everything you are eating. And if you aren't doing that, then that is another area to look at. Your activity seems right on point so it's definitely something to do with your intake.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Ohh maybe I should clarify, I have lost 32 lbs to date in probably 10 months (maybe) but the scale has stopped! No movement as I think it should with all the hard work I am putting in. I am hoping to loose realistically another 20 by August and then another 30. Anyways.. yes, It feels great to get on the size 10's just confused as to why the numbers are not going down. trying to see if I should add something else....
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Ohh maybe I should clarify, I have lost 32 lbs to date in probably 10 months (maybe) but the scale has stopped! No movement as I think it should with all the hard work I am putting in. I am hoping to loose realistically another 20 by August and then another 30. Anyways.. yes, It feels great to get on the size 10's just confused as to why the numbers are not going down. trying to see if I should add something else....

Take a look at my first post....I really think it's a simple fix :)
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    I also have to wonder why you are concerned about the number on the scale if your body is changing and you're losing pants sizes?

In any event....I get how nice it is to continue to see the number on the scale go down. My first thought is that you haven't recalculated your calorie goals since you lost weight and that you are eating closer to maintenance. This would explain why you are still seeing inches lost, but no "weight".

I'm of course assuming that you are weighing, measuring, and logging everything you are eating. And if you aren't doing that, then that is another area to look at. Your activity seems right on point so it's definitely something to do with your intake.

Yeah, I do do try to keep on my logging. I have no measured to be honest bc last time I did I was like: "WHOA", so i will do that maybe this weekend. I do want to recalculate my calories but its confusing for me on this site... so we will see. maybe like you said I need to eat to loose and not maintain.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 32 lbs. but I am not seeing it on the scale.

What? How does that work?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    The scale is a fickle dance partner and a lying SOB. It sounds like your body is doing more of a recomp at this point and that usually doesn't have much impact on the scale, but helps with how you look. Since you are seeing changes in your body that are positive, I mean, come on......14 to 10 is awesome progress, you may want to look deep inside and figure out why that scale number is so important. Women who strength train are sometimes heavier on the scale than other women, but the bonus is that they look smaller. And like a previous poster said, only you know the number, a person looking at you will never see that flashing above you.

With another potential 50 lbs to go, I am sure that if you have your diet in check and are still doing what you need to do in the gym, the scale will start to move down for you.

A common calorie calculator is this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    It will at least help give you an good idea of where you may want to have your calories set.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    I have lost a total of 32 lbs. but I am not seeing it on the scale.

What? How does that work?

I had to clarify.... I started here at MFP weighing 191 lbs last April then in July I went up to 203 lbs... so I have been on and off going through the process and now I am at 32 lbs lost. I haven't really seen much of a difference in months.... however my clothes are fitting,that is what I am saying.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    The scale is a fickle dance partner and a lying SOB. It sounds like your body is doing more of a recomp at this point and that usually doesn't have much impact on the scale, but helps with how you look. Since you are seeing changes in your body that are positive, I mean, come on......14 to 10 is awesome progress, you may want to look deep inside and figure out why that scale number is so important. Women who strength train are sometimes heavier on the scale than other women, but the bonus is that they look smaller. And like a previous poster said, only you know the number, a person looking at you will never see that flashing above you.

With another potential 50 lbs to go, I am sure that if you have your diet in check and are still doing what you need to do in the gym, the scale will start to move down for you.

A common calorie calculator is this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    It will at least help give you an good idea of where you may want to have your calories set.

Thanks I will try that.... yeah I am the only one seeing the scale but doesn't technically by numbers being 5'4" and 176 lbs. is like I am still obese...well, you know what I mean. I am going to take a good evaluation as to what i am doing after the last 3 wks of my school semester and go hard in the summer since I will have more time and focus myself more. Thanks
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    ...since I will have more time and focus myself more.

If you've lost 32 lbs, then you already know how to do it. Just keep at it! Losing the first 10 lbs is the hardest. Losing 30 proves you know what you're doing. Losing more than that is simply patience, trust and dedication to the process. Never give up!
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    ...since I will have more time and focus myself more.

If you've lost 32 lbs, then you already know how to do it. Just keep at it! Losing the first 10 lbs is the hardest. Losing 30 proves you know what you're doing. Losing more than that is simply patience, trust and dedication to the process. Never give up!

Thanks.. when I do read it and see it like you just said it is nice to see it. So I will just have to keep at it. Maybe get a Heart monitor thingy so I can actually see the actual calories I am burning. Thanks
  • Beckywrkm
    Options
    14 to a size 10 sounds amazing, fork the scales when you can fit into a size 10!

The only person that sees the number on the scales is you, everyone else see what you look like, what you fit in, how toned you are etc - definitely better than a number :)

AGREED!!!! I totally understand about the scale not moving, I am going through the same thing, but I am going down in clothing size, and see my body taking shape. Sometimes it's not worth worrying about the numbers! Size 10 is AMAZING!
  • kat_howell
    Options
    I have been dietign and working out for almost 3 months and i have lost 2lbs!!! I dont eat junk food, no soda, I stay under 1200calories per day. I do atleast 30 min of cardio 4-5days a week plus weights, I ride my bike in the evenings. I am about to give up!!!!!!!!! I had a baby last October and I am still 40lbs heavier than I was a year ago.:cry:
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My scale has moved only 1 pound in months, but my progress pictures say I'm a sexy beast! Esp compared to what I was!
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    'have you tried turning it off, and then turning it back on again?'

^_^

seriously, though - a calorie shift is in order. your body is acclimated to what you are doing.
    your metabolism is on auto-pilot.
    you needa a spike in cals. a rest from the exercise. just for a few days.
    and then BAM! hit it.

well done on the downsizing, too, lady. it ain't easy, so, brava!

but look into calorie shifting. and keep on being healthy & happy.

=^x^=
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a Heart monitor thingy so I can actually see the actual calories I am burning. Thanks

Absolutely! When you're no longer "obese", being accurate with your intake and calories burned becomes more important. But you already have the skills you need. Just don't give up. Don't start getting crazy ideas of cutting way down on the calories. Ok? Slow and steady is the key. What do you have your loss per week goal set to? Maybe change it to 1 lb per week? or 0.5 lbs?
  • tanyaelise
    Options
    I know what your going through. Your probably loosing fat... muscle weighs more. I have to limit the amount of weight I use because I pack on muscle very easily. Here are some things that have helped me when I've hit a plateau. Please disregard the poor spelling.

First measure yourself...in our case this will be your indication that things are going as planned.

-Try not to eat late. I try not to eat after 6pm (haha, I TRY, I don't always succeed)
    -Eat your bigger meals earlier in the day. For example, if my husband makes something full of too many calories or carbs and I really want to eat it...I'll have something lighter instead but take the tasty meal for lunch the next day.
    -Make sure your getting enough protein... and enough fiber.
    -Watch your sodium... you need it if your working out and sweating a lot but if you're having too much then even trying to flush it out with more fluids won't work.... you'll just puff up.
    -Make sure you drink enough water (I'm guilty of not doing this...I substitute the word "fluids" in that suggestion) But watch out for sugary drinks.
    -Definately weigh or measure everything. It got a real eye opener when I started doing that.
    -Get enough sleep if you can. Here is what I found out about myself.... If I am tired, I eat.... I could have just eaten an hour ago but I'm eating again....My body tries to compensate with food to increase energy.

In my case, I have hit a plateau and have started gaining weight but my cloths are looser. Sooo.....I have cut out all sugar... synthetic or otherwise. I also cut out many dairy items (but not all) I no longer have 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee and cut out the string cheese in my lunch... but I have cottage cheese for breakfast sometimes. I've added flax seed, changed out my mayo and now use the olive-oil mayo, exchanged my milk (in coffee) for nothing in my coffee...

Now I am starting to slowly lose again.

I hope it helps...these are just things that have helped me... they may not be right for everyone.
  • ccarpenter80
    Options
    Maybe lifting to heavy? My trainer had me lifting heavy for awhile and I wasnt seeing the scale going down. I started lifting higher reps lower weight and it started coming off fast. I love weights but Ive learned to work up to lifting heavy until after I have some pounds off
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ooooo I'm jealous! I'm 5'4" as well, SW 165 CW 152 and I JUST got down to a size 10! Take a look around my diary, I average about 1360 calories per day with eating back exercise calories (it might seem confusing because I calorie cycle but my food notes explain my calorie goals per day). I agree with everyone to reevaluate your calorie needs and to start measuring!