Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mfp3myWfd41rntb7jo1_400.gif
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs, one of which is a pit bull. I love them all, but out of the three, when we have people over, the pit bull (Luke) is always the one they are threatening to steal. He's just a giant lap dog, he wants nothing more then to snuggle with you. Almost pathologically so. He absolutely can't be 'not touching' you. Sorry grammar is rough on that. If you are sitting on the couch, some piece of him has to be touching you. He was excellent with the orphaned kitten we brought home. He managed to get off his leash a couple times, and would go sit at the 7-11 where the police would feed him beef jerky till someone came and got him.

He is the mellowest, laziest, most loving dog ever. All you have to say is 'kisses' and he will wash your face for you. =)

He's completely non agressive towards people. Even with food. He's a total fat, but if I want to take something from him? I take it and he doesn't say boo about it. He's a little up in your face when you are eating, which makes us a little crazy, but he will back off when firmly ordered to.

I've only seen him be aggressive once, when my fiance was taking the dogs out to potty and the neighbors husky was off his chain. He came over to our yard, our dogs got excited and Josh got tangled in the leashes and fell. Luke and Leia (our boxer, yes we are Star Wars nerds) both lit into the husky like there was no tomorrow. They had to protect their human!

Oh and farts. I feed lamb and rice, either from Costco, or Nutro. My dogs rarely fart.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    This is my baby LuLu.....

ylzf7.jpg

She is the kindest, gentlest, most loving dog I have EVER had the pleasure of raising. She is discriminated against purely because of her breed. I have 4 children and she is very protective of them and has never once snapped at them. I have seen so called "gentle" breeds snap at people if they get too close while they are eating or touch them in a manner the dog doesn't like. If the Pit you are fostering is the right fit for you and your family I say adopt it! They are intelligent and playful even though their gas is foul!

She is beautiful! LOVE THOSE EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Pit Bulls are banned where I live and have been for years :angry:

I have an English Bulldog.

Edited for spelling.

Same. In the UK they are banned. You can own one, but they have to be registered, muzzled when outdoors and I think castrated too. If you don't follow this, they can be PTS.

Funny thing is, I have never heard any bad stories about them. I watched a programme about them, their owners, the law etc... The Police would turn up with 20 mates to check owners have their dog on a register which is ridiculous. They (along with a few other breeds) seem to be demonised and it seems unfair. Everyone I've ever spoken to who owns/has owned them has nothing but high praise.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not one of those who blame the breed but obviously some of the owners & breeders over here have messed it up for all good, responsible owners. They were owned by some (not all) of the lowest dregs of our society who use them as a status symbol & as a weapon.

They are also used along with other breeds for dog fighting (barbaric). The scum who do this are known to steal small dogs (Jack Russells etc) & use peoples loving pets against their dogs for practice...!

It’s also against the law to:

sell
    abandon
    give away
    breed from
    a banned dog.

This is the same in most of the areas of the US. In some states, counties and cities certain breeds are banned. That's why I don't live in those states, counties and cities.

The dog fighters actually don't seem to understand that what they are doing is evil. I actually had one brag to me about his fighting dogs and fighting *kitten* (chickens, no the other type). When I turned him in he seemed confused as to why he was in trouble. When I testified against him in court, he kept looking at me with (please excuse the pun) "puppy dog eyes" like I had betrayed him. This is not a stupid man, either. He ran a successful business and admitted he knew that what he was doing was against the law. I dunno, maybe he is a sociopath. He certainly seemed to be. Anyway, animals everywhere are a little safer for a couple more years.

He got most of the time from theft - stealing other peoples' property (dogs, cats, etc. for his fighting dogs to kill.) The fighting dogs were put down (blame the victim!)

So glad you shopped him!!!
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    HOUMA, La. -- A four-year-old girl was mauled to death by a pit bull, that officers categorized as "a monster," in an apartment complex in Houma Tuesday night.

The child, identified as Mia DeRouen, suffered facial and head injuries following the attack by the 130 pound dog, who was staying at the home.

The attack happened inside the family home around 7 p.m., according to police. Mia and her mother, were watching television when the dog struck the little girl.

The child's mother, 27-year-old Megan Touchet, called for help and locked herself and her daughter in a room, handing the child out of the window to officers.

"The mother was able to barricade herself inside this bedroom," said Houma Police Chief Todd Duplantis. "Medical personnel arrived also, and the mother was able to hand the four year old child through the bedroom window."

Duplantis described the scene as "horrific" and said counseling was being offered to the officers who were on the scene.

Touchet was injured and taken to a hospital with moderate injuries but has since been released.

The dog, named Niko, was shot three times by officers, who then attempted to enter the apartment, according to Duplantis. "The dog was shot initially inside the residence," he said. "When the officers entered the residence to survey the situation, the dog attacked the officers."

Duplantis said that when officers tried to get inside, the dog charged them and was shot an additional 10 times, before he died.

Since the pit bull "was running loose inside the apartment acting in a very vicious manner," Duplantis said, officers used lethal force by shooting the dog to eliminate the threat of additional injuries.

But little Mia was severely bitten on the head and torso, and died at the hospital.

"It's traumatic event," said Terrebonne Parish President Michel Claudet in an appearance on the Eyewitness Morning News the day after the attack.

Claudet said the dog was one of two family pets. "They had two pit bulls, and one was over 100 pounds." The larger dog was the one that attacked four-year-old Derouen. A second pit bull found in the apartment, an uninjured six month old female that apparently was not part of the situation, is now at the animal shelter.

"Unfortunately, that's what happened and it's such a horrific event," Claudet said.

Mia would have celebrated her fifth birthday next week.

Now Houma police say their investigation into her death continues. "There are some questions and rumors about the dog possibly being trained to fight, and what have you," said Duplantis. "The detectives have been investigating this. However, I am here to report there have been no signs of abuse."

But Chief Duplantis says police and the Terrebonne District Attorney have a number of questions that still need to be answered.
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Jordan Gribble / Houma Courier

Four-year-old Mia DeRouen was watching television with her mother Tuesday in their Houma apartment when the family pit bull attacked, police said.
    The dog, which was later gunned down by police, was a 2-year-old pit bull named Niko who hadn't previously shown signs of aggression, police said. There is no evidence the dog had been abused or trained to fight.
    DeRouen and her mother, Megan Touchet, 27, were each mauled by the 130-pound dog, sustaining injuries to their upper torsos, necks and faces. Touchet was attacked while trying to rescue the girl, police said.

DeRouen died at Terrebonne General Medical Center. She would have turned 5 on April 3. Touchet was treated and released.

Sudden attacks are a hallmark of pit bulls, said Colleen Lynn, founder and president of DogsBite.org, a nonprofit group that raises awareness about dangerous dogs, focusing particularly on pit bulls.

"Unlike other dog breeds, pit bulls will attack without warning signals. It will always look like the attack is sudden. One minute it's on your lap, the next minute it's attacking you. It's unusual for most dog breeds to attack their owners, but pit bulls have a history of that in spades," she said.

Niko was likely an American Bully, a breed specifically designed for its weight and aggression, Lynn said.

"When these dogs bite, it's a hold-and-shake bite style. When they start an attack, it's virtually impossible to get them to stop," she said.

It took 12 shots to kill the dog, which remained aggressive after officers arrived, Houma Police Chief Todd Duplantis said.

"This was a very large dog. A monster," Duplantis said in a Wednesday afternoon news conference held at police headquarters. At 130 pounds, the dog was about four times larger than DeRouen.

A second pit bull in the apartment, a 6-month-old female, did not attack, police said. That dog was taken to the Terrebonne Animal Shelter, where it remained this morning.

It's not clear yet if criminal charges will result, the chief said, but detectives have consulted with prosecutors.

DeRouen lived with her mother at Houma Highlands, 461 S. Hollywood Road. Her father, Christifer J. DeRouen, lives in New Iberia.

Visitation for Mia DeRouen is 4-9 p.m. Friday and 7 a.m. to funeral time Saturday at Pellerin Funeral Home in New Iberia. The funeral is at 10 a.m. Saturday at Our Lady of Prompt Succor Catholic Church in Coteau.

Officers on the scene, who described it as "horrific," were offered counseling, Duplantis said.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    What was your point of posting that?????:angry:
  • Supahvixen
    Supahvixen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is my baby LuLu.....

ylzf7.jpg

She is the kindest, gentlest, most loving dog I have EVER had the pleasure of raising. She is discriminated against purely because of her breed. I have 4 children and she is very protective of them and has never once snapped at them. I have seen so called "gentle" breeds snap at people if they get too close while they are eating or touch them in a manner the dog doesn't like. If the Pit you are fostering is the right fit for you and your family I say adopt it! They are intelligent and playful even though their gas is foul!

OMG I'm in love!!! :smooched:
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have 3 and they are the best! :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Four month old Tigra I just brought home last week...
    pit3064_zpse7a18747.jpg
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    What was your point of posting that?????:angry:

She's old and grumpy.

& apparently ignorant.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have three pits and two pit mixes. Their farts are obnoxious! The brindle does it right in my direction, too. Lol

I don't know how to load pics or I'd show them to you. Mine get walked several times a day by myself and my boyfriend.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    My dog Rocky is part pit/part boxer.

I got him from a lady that was giving him away 6 years ago. He spent his whole 2 years alive tied to a tree.

Now, he's the best dog I could ever own.

When I was apartment hunting a few weeks ago, it really bothered me how many people turned me away because of my dog. There is so much ignorance when it comes to pitts it sad.

I did finally find a place, but it's not ideal...but I'm not going anywhere without Rocky.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The post about the girl attacked is bull. Dogs bite because people do things that make the dogs nervous or scared!!! It's nothing to do with the breed of dog. I have three purebred a and two mixes and never been attacked. My boyfriend had 15 at one time and never had an issue from them. It's all in how you approach them and how you raise them.
  • iiRenity
    iiRenity Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had a pit mix and god her gas was absolutely horrible. She was the sweetest puppy in the world and I absolutely loved her. Unfortunately she somehow got out of the gate and ran into the nearby highway... Well, you can guess what happened. She was an amazing dog that we had from a puppy. When we first found her she had lost hair but she was such a sweet animal. We miss her bunches.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't have a pit but I would like to own one, when I get a chance. I worked in a boarding facility and out of all the dogs I've meet there were only two scared the crap out of me. One was a Bastet hound and the other was a Maltese mix. I worked with rare breed dogs like the pharaoh hound and a sheep dog that had dreadlocks for a coat (don't go near those while they are spinning :grumble: ).

The pits I am near are not dangerous. There is one that will heel when I walk him but will try to drag the owner down the street when given the chance. The others think they are lap dogs and if you yell at them they be submissive right away.

If you want to talk about dangerous breeds, how about that 90 lbs black lab that attacked a 9 year old girl. Any dog can be dangerous, big or small. I have feared being bitten by smaller dogs more often then bigger dogs. It's how they were raised and trained. You also have to give a lot of exercise to the bigger dogs to keep them in control plus a lot of bigger dogs were breed to be more intelligent. When you have a dog that is intelligent and has energy you better have a training and exercise program if you want your house in one piece.

Edit: pit bull is not a recognized breed with standards. Most "pit bulls" are under 50 lbs because they are mixed with the American staffordshire terrier. Also note that the Boston Terrier was a pit fighting dog but is now breed as a companion dog. A lot of dogs are called pit bulls but they don't have the staffordshire terrier in its background. They look like a pit but they are not truly a pit.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My family dog growing up, Maddie, was a pit, and she was the best dog you could hope for. Kind, gentle, snuggly, and very very protective of her kids (me and my sister.) She had a habit of "herding" any kids that would come over, not letting them get too far out of her sight, or near the street.

She saved my mom from an attacker in our own backyard. Who knows what would have happened if my big lover of a dog didn't chase the assailant out of our yard. **Edit to add that my sweet girl took a brick to the face and kept pursuing until the guy had fled. We had never seen her show her teeth or growl before that. She guarded my mom day and night for the rest of her days after that. Most loyal dog ever.

She also scared away a bunch of my sister's douche canoe boyfriends, by standing awkwardly close to their crotch and licking her chops.

I could go on forever about how these dogs are grossly misrepresented, innocent victims of fear mongering, but I'll end it by saying, yes you should adopt =) Just be aware that people will be nervous around your dog because of the rampant ignorance and prejudice.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    No but I was attacked by one once. I've also been attacked by a pug, a Pomeranian and a poodle mix. Some dogs just don't like you running past their yard. And I LOVE dogs and have nothing against pits.