FRUSTRATED With Upper Thighs!!!

Options

Replies

• servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Even when I was underweight, most of my weight was still in my upper thighs and hips. That's just the body type I was given, I guess. AND my upper thighs are muscular to boot, so I lose fat there, but I don't lose size because I develop those muscles.

*sigh*
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Darkrider!

Becky, I never run in shorts because of the ride up factor. I always wear thin capris. I probably would fall on the treadmill because I would be constantly tugging at them!

I almost did. haha It was kinda funny and the gym was full of people Ugh!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with most of the comments here, and know it's only overall weight loss that's going to make the most difference; however, I've found that hamstring work and squats in particular have tightened up those areas on my lower half that need it the most!
    I'd like to hear from some of the personal trainers - weight trainers on MFP on what they've found works best for most women with this issue.
  • HRHTroystweets
    Options
    I like the suggestion to wear capris. Smart move, there.
    As for getting those inner thighs leaner, there are 3 things you must do.
    Cardio - obviously you're doing that to burn the fat.
    Strength training - clock lunges, inner thigh raises, etc... Your legs will always be "jiggly" in your inner thigh unless you tone those muscles.
    Stretching - not only does it feel great but it lengthens your muscles out so they don't bulk up, just tone. My sister was training for a triathlon with her SIL and her thighs got HUGE from the running. Her SIL's however were not. The difference was that my sis wasn't stretching before and after her run.

Good luck to you!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    When I can afford it, I guess I'll just go under the knife. I don't WANT them to look like this. It's DISGUSTING to me. My aunt on my dad's side has large thighs and hips. I can't help how big my hips are, but I can still get into 5's if I could get the fat to go away from my hips and thighs.

ETA: I would only go under the knife if I got to my goal weight and the hardest work didn't improve their shape. I wouldn't "give up" after less than a year of work.
  • DGordonII
    Options
    Have you all tried lunges to help tone the thigh region??? Just a thought or idea
  • mr_ashley
    Options
    It's an issue for some of us guys too. What I can say...I have my mother's thighs. :P

But no kidding, same deal with some of us. Fat just collects on all of us anglo-saxons in weird ways. I am sometimes entertained by the different ways our bodies actually collect fat. You'll see this guy wearing the same jeans he wore 20 years ago in high school, except now, he has a 44 inch gut hanging over the waist band. Narrow hips, slender arms and legs, huge gut. Or you'll see a beautiful woman, excellently proportioned everywhere, and she walks by, I turn and look at her backside (because I'm THAT guy), and she'll be sporting a huge caboose! I'm talking Kardashian here!!! Hello!

For me, it's the fat upper thighs that rub together. I can't wear corduroy during the winter for fear of electrocution because of it. Oddly, I have very little butt to speak of. It's like it all shifted around and settled in my upper thighs.

Sigh. We all have our little oddities I guess. By the way, to the original poster, I stalked your photos, and you look great! I don't know what you are talking about, but only I see myself without clothing on, and only I can see all the little things that I want to improve!
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Until you manage to reduce the thigh circumference, have you tried wearing the long under armor "boy" shorts? They reach almost to your knees and provide slick movement between your thighs. (It's my wife's solution until she loses the weight necessary so her thighs don't rub together)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Get biker shorts to run in! I can't run in anything else because of the same reason. I've seen tremendous difference in my thighs the whole time I've been working out... lots of cardio and work those thighs with strength training, hon! Jillian Michaels' videos are great for this!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Until you manage to reduce the thigh circumference, have you tried wearing the long under armor "boy" shorts? They reach almost to your knees and provide slick movement between your thighs. (It's my wife's solution until she loses the weight necessary so her thighs don't rub together)

Seriously, if I think my thighs are fat, do you think I would wear spandex material? LOL
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if I think my thighs are fat, do you think I would wear spandex material? LOL

LOL Oddly the answer is still YES. Just make it BLACK spandex (bike shorts, compression shorts, whatever) and wear them underneath other shorts.

Oh H*LL, no ... I wouldn't be caught dead in just* spandex shorts and nothing over them...nobody at the gym wants to know that much about me! :wink:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I never wear shorts, only yoga pants.

Now- I tend to store fat in the hip/thigh area as well. The only thing that works for me when it comes to toning that are up is jillian michaels banish fat boost metabolism dvd. Those sumo squats get you amazing results. I mean, seriously amazing. It may also be all the jumping in the workout, but whatever it is, it seriously amazingly works!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I am in the same exact boat! Its really frustrating. I have this like lump of fat on both of my inner thighs! I know my legs are muscley any way but this lump of fat makes it very difficult to find jeans to wear!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

LOL Oddly the answer is still YES. Just make it BLACK spandex (bike shorts, compression shorts, whatever) and wear them underneath other shorts.

Oh H*LL, no ... I wouldn't be caught dead in just* spandex shorts and nothing over them...nobody at the gym wants to know that much about me! :wink:

HAHAHA I only wear shorts, cuz I sweat alot when I run.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    I am in the same exact boat! Its really frustrating. I have this like lump of fat on both of my inner thighs! I know my legs are muscley any way but this lump of fat makes it very difficult to find jeans to wear!
    YES!!! That two inch long fat lump is what keeps me out of smaller pants!!! Errg! And it's not muscle, it IS fat. I can feel where my muscle and the fat are. It's so gross to me. I hate that I let myself get like this.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    YES!!! That two inch long fat lump is what keeps me out of smaller pants!!! Errg! And it's not muscle, it IS fat. I can feel where my muscle and the fat are. It's so gross to me. I hate that I let myself get like this.

I gained a TON of weigh my freshmen year at college... Freshmen 15?? NOPE... try the freshmen 40! 90% of it happened after Christmas break. With that rapid weight gain I ended up with little stretch marks on my inner thighs. I've lost some weight before through diet and excercise but I still always have those little lumps there. I worry that with the stretch marks there that I am always going to have fatty pockets on my inner thighs!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

I gained a TON of weigh my freshmen year at college... Freshmen 15?? NOPE... try the freshmen 40! 90% of it happened after Christmas break. With that rapid weight gain I ended up with little stretch marks on my inner thighs. I've lost some weight before through diet and excercise but I still always have those little lumps there. I worry that with the stretch marks there that I am always going to have fatty pockets on my inner thighs!

My thighs are road maps of stretch marks from having babies. lol I even have a few on my calves. And I often wonder if that area will ever slim down.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You can try and spot reduce all you want, but it'll never happen. Toning the area does help though.

My thighs and arms are probably the worst with genetics so those areas are the hardest for me, but slowly and surely, it's coming off. I just stopped being impatient about it.
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I have trouble with my upper thighs too (don't you hate those girls whose thighs don't touch?), and I've found that while I've never eliminated them completely as a trouble zone, lengthening exercises like those in pIlates, dance and yoga help even out the area with the rest of my leg!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    It's hard to be patient when it's the most unattractive part of my body, ya know? The other things don't bug me so much, cuz they are getting smaller. My lower part of my thighs got smaller, but the upper part? They hate me as much as the scale hates me right now.