For those who wear glasses...

Options
13»

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Do you take off your glasses (either go "blind" or switch to contacts) when you work out? I've been going to the gym for a few weeks now and I never really think much about it but have always kept my glasses on. I don't see anyone else doing the same, though, and I guess I'm just curious how others go about it. I don't wear contacts at all, so it'd either be glasses or staring at blurry stuff while I work out, so maybe that's why I keep them on! Anyone else keep 'em on or is it really just me?

I keep them on... unless I go swimming. :)
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    usually i go without. My eyes are not as bad. I only use them for reading things that are far away. I tried contacts but they just made my eyes dry and itchy so i went back to nothing. Works for me, try it out and see what works for you
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time. The first thing I do when trying new frames is jog on the spot to check they won't slip off when running!
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I wear contacts when I'm running, and prescription goggles for swimming. Normally wear my glasses the rest of the time.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I usually end up taking them off because they slide all around once I start sweating like a beast.
    And then I'm blindly going through the rest of my workout.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I wear my contacts when working out. (As I do most of the time anyway) if my contacts are bothering and I've taken them out and am wearing my glasses, I do take them off when working out. With all the water that runs down my face during an intense workout, it's best to leave them off or they tend to slide down my face!
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I prefer contacts for most cardio things - my glasses bounce around in Zumba and while running, and are deeply annoying when you get sweaty - but at the gym, I don't really mind. Especially if I'm just doing weights, where I'm unlikely to dislodge them and they won't get too sweaty and icky!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other replies yet, but I take my glasses off, they'd get sweaty drips on the lenses or tend to fall off. My distance vision is good enough to see what an instructor is doing / cross the road safely / not bump into things. I wouldn't be able to read a small display on an exercise machine, but I don't do that sort of stuff - and the displays I've seen are readable, to me.
  • littlecely
    littlecely Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been working out at home for the past couple of month and I always wear my glasses. When I was younger I'd wear contacts to the gym but that was more for weird aesthetic reasons. Now if I started going to the gym again I'd wear my glasses as long as I wasn't doing anything that would make them fall or fly off.

For swimming though I tend to wear contacts. I just find it more practical, it's for visibility. I can't see anything without glasses or contacts.
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am blind (legally according to the eye doctor) without my glasses. The only time I do not wear them is swimming. I may wear an old pair (not up to date, so blurry) if I am afraid that they will fall off.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If I don't wear my glasses, I'm extremely prone to migraine symptoms, so the glasses stay on as much as possible.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my glasses when I work out. However, my vision isn't so bad that I'm a danger to myself or anybody else by taking them off. :laugh:

This-but don't be offended if I don't say hi! I just can't see you clearly enough!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time. The first thing I do when trying new frames is jog on the spot to check they won't slip off when running!
    I do that, too! I jump up and down a few times to make sure. I've always worn my glasses when working out. Mind, I'm not doing anything where I'm going upside down or anything but I have been lifting weights, doing pushups, etc. Mine have Transitions, too, so they are also my sunglasses and I have run many half marathons and shorter races in them with no problems.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    99% of the time I wear my contacts. Even on days when I've worn my glasses all day I'll put my contacts in just to work out. I can't stand having my glasses sliding off my face once I get sweaty.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have a slight astigmatism, so technically I only need glasses to read, use a computer and drive. I can't wear contacts (rosacea) or get LASIK (prescription changes yearly) so I just go glasses-free. It doesn't bother me as much as running with my glasses would.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I wear my glasses, but usually an older pair. Sweat can hurt anti-reflective coating, so I avoid wearing new pairs I care about.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I wear an old pair of glasses with the dorky strap so they don't fall off from sweat. When I do yoga, I don't wear them at all.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i've always kept them on and never had issues. back when i wore contacts it was more comfortable tho.

lasik for me on 4/12 yay