HRM without the chest strap?

Options
Hello! I'm wondering if anyone uses a HRM without the chest strap. Or if that is even a thing... Mine is giving me terrible rashes, and I'd rather not wear one... TMI? Sorry.

Thanks!

Replies

• EmilyL128
    EmilyL128 Posts: 38
    Options
    I would also like to know this, I have never used a HRM before but am looking into getting one. I have sensitive skin so am also at a risk of developing a rash.
  • m3dreamer2011
    Options
    There are some HRMs out there which operate without a chest strap but they are few and far between compared to those with a strap. I think I even remember seeing one which had a strap built into a sports bra??? The ones without a strap I think measure your heart rate based on your your pulse via optic sensors but do not give you a constant heart rate readout like a traditional HRM with a strap will. I would suspect they are also significantly more expensive compared to strap HRMs.

Have you tried washing the strap incase their is some odd substance on it from the manufacturing process?

Good luck!!! :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    They do exist but they aren't very accurate. I had one (bought from walmart), that would only check your HR when you pressed a button on it. The problem with this is that the calorie burns will be based on whatever your HR was the last time you checked it. Mine also gave me outrageously high calorie burns for what I was doing at the time. I switched to one with a chest strap for better accuracy.

Now there maybe more expensive versions that can monitor your HR constantly but I'm not sure. There is a wrist worn activity tracker called basis which will monitor your HR all day, but it's $199. It looks like a watch. It has features similar to Fitbit and bodymedia with the added function of a HRM.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    You probably are, but I have to ask.... are you washing the strap after every use? Make sure you are, and if you are, make sure you're rinsing it thoroughly. Both not washing it or not rinsing it well enough can cause a rash.

Also to the poster with sensitive skin: my husband has sensative skin and eczema and he doesn't have any issues with his strap.
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are new smart watches coming out that have heart rate monitors inbuilt. They track blood flow through your wrist. Should be a lot more comfortable than having a chest strap.
  • EmilyL128
    EmilyL128 Posts: 38
    Options

Also to the poster with sensitive skin: my husband has sensative skin and eczema and he doesn't have any issues with his strap.

Oh that's good to know, thanks. :smile:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There's the Mio Alpha apparently it's as accurate as one with a strap. I have a friend who has one and swears by it. It's not cheap but it exists.

http://www.mioglobal.com/uk/Shop/MIO-Alpha/product.aspx?productid=1&deptid=-1&pricecat=3&gclid=CMbV5cmi070CFSkewwod7bwAZw
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There's the Mio Alpha apparently it's as accurate as one with a strap. I have a friend who has one and swears by it. It's not cheap but it exists.

http://www.mioglobal.com/uk/Shop/MIO-Alpha/product.aspx?productid=1&deptid=-1&pricecat=3&gclid=CMbV5cmi070CFSkewwod7bwAZw

and here's a product review......

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/monitor-bluetooth-smartant.html
  • aimeeelise_awesome
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies. I am rinsing and washing the strap, but evidently not well enough! I've also been applying a cream to help with the rashes. Do you think, if I put the cream on before the strap, it'll ruin it? Hope not...

I've been reading up on the MIO brand. Seems like not having the constant HR reading is annoying and counter-productive. I've also read that pulse and heart rate are not the same thing. Thoughts?
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies. I am rinsing and washing the strap, but evidently not well enough! I've also been applying a cream to help with the rashes. Do you think, if I put the cream on before the strap, it'll ruin it? Hope not...

I've been reading up on the MIO brand. Seems like not having the constant HR reading is annoying and counter-productive. I've also read that pulse and heart rate are not the same thing. Thoughts?

it won't harm it. they actually have a gel they sell for better contact to your skin, so I'm sure it will be fine. keep it clean and dry when not in use. I bring mine into the shower with me and wash and rinse it well there and use my other one while it's drying.