underactive thyroid - can you not just exercise more?

Options

Replies

• amberlin1975
    amberlin1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed hypothyroidism for 14 years. I take the 300mg of levothyroxine. I have a sedimentary lifestyle due to it being busy and don't have time to go to the gym but I love to exercise. I have researched hypo life style eating and here is what I have found.
    absorption issues"
    .1. take meds in the morning no food or dairy 2 hours before or after
    2. leafy greens/vitamin k foods are a no no
    3. no simple sugars or simple carbs
    the medication levothyroxine can cause 20% bone loss over time
    people who have this condition are prone to constipations
    so meds in the morning calcium in the afternoon and extra fiber at night
    since our thyroid makes digestion is slow eating 6 200 calorie meals a day is better than 3 large ones, Big meals take longer to digest gluten products make this worse. lean meats over carbs keeps you fuller longer every thing in balance. really watch calories. prefer eggs over eggbeaters? 1 egg yolk to 3 eggs is a lot less calories than 3 full eggs. Parkay spray butter no calories reduce calories in preparation of foods you like. tea with sweetener rather than sugar no calories. "diets" that work for non hypos do not work for us. tried some diet pills and I GANED weight.. yes I know the warning of aspartame however obesity will kill ya quicker. check out sugar busters no no foods that's helpful. even natural sugars can make us feel sluggish. trust I have the worst kind of thyroid issues.
  • meliscal13
    meliscal13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It appears you have many answers to this question, here is another: because more exercise will exacerbate the condition. Hypothyroidism, or any thyroid disorder part of the family of autoimmune diseases, which can cause havoc in multiple areas of the body, not just with weight. You must know the complete profile in order to be certain But even if it is "just hypothyroid" - which can almost ruin a life - more exercise will increase symptoms and have the opposite effect you are looking for. Remember weight gain and difficulty loosing weight aren't the only symptoms, and one must be careful to manage the whole body and the whole disease.
  • Leslienflip
    Options
    I've been prescribed 25mg Levothyroxine for a few years now, however don't regularly take it (I plan on doing now). I think this is quite a low dose so I'm hoping I'm not *too* under active, but both my mother and her brother have it quite badly.

I definitely have all of the hallmark symptoms of under active thyroid when I'm not taking my meds regularly though.

I'm just worried about having yet another block in the way for my weight loss goal. Choosing what to eat and sticking to it is already a bit of a chore, and trying to work exercise into my routine is proving slightly difficult .. so I'd hate to have something that I can't control that's going to hamper things, especially if I'm putting all my effort into doing it the right way and not seeing results!

If I know I can just push the exercise up a bit more I'd probably feel better. Definitely didn't do well in the hormone lottery.. as well as the thyroid there's also a steroid hormone imbalance too! Although that has been under "control" for about 5+ years now.

I'm "obese" by BMI standards - 85kg at 164cm and I was hoping on losing between 0.5kg and 1kg a week until I hit my target weight.

I'll see what the doc says this week when I see them. Hoping for good news!

One of the things about hypothyroidism is that being under can make you stupid. It slows down everything, including your thought processes. I am a professor, so nothing wrong with my brain, but when I first got these problems, before I was medicated, I was suddenly unable to do simple maths in my head. It is terrifying! Also, because it affects your mind, mood and body all together, you no longer know when you are being stupid because you are not properly medicated, or if you are just being an idiot. Scary, scary indeed.

This is one of the reasons why it is so important to take hypothyroidism seriously, and to find a good doctor! You need to experiment with the range in which you are comfortable, and you need to take your medication regularly. My sister tends to forget her meds, and that makes her tired, which makes her forgetful, and then she discovers that she is actually out of medicines, but she doesn't feel like going to pick up more, because she's so tired, so she'll do it next time she is out, but then she forgets... It's a vicious cycle that just gets worse if you don't actively maintain your level of activity, and keep checking your medication. So remember your meds. You can't just work out an extra hour and become smarter.
    I agree whole heartedly with what you said. Hypothyroidism effects your whole system. It's a subtle decent into the mental fog aches , fatigue. it's not overnight. My whole family has it. plus as you age everything is changing so it's tricky.
  • bzign
    bzign Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 12 years ago and have taken meds since. The only symptom I had was a lump (goiter) in my neck. If you seek medical help, work with your doctor to get the dose right and take your meds every day, then you should be fine. I do think some people use it as an excuse. The meds should get you back to a "normal" thyroid function ... then it's up to us.

Did the goiter go down with meds? I am going for an ultra sound next week, I was sent to the endocrinologist previously but she said that my Thyroid was irrelevant even though thats why I was referred as I also have type 2 diabetes and this was her main concern, to me that is not the main concern as that can be reversed with diet and exercise but thyroid can't. Hopefully I am referred to a different endocrine dept or I will have to deal with her again.
  • iballin
    iballin Posts: 21
    Options
    people overblow this thyroid ****, there is studies that show the max it can slow down metabolic rate is 15% on a 1500 calorie maintenance that 150 calories that you dont burn that you should be... if its so bad you cant get out of bed, then thats another problem, but to claim the laws of thermodynamics change being hypo thyroid , is just ludicrous could be untreated hypothyroid and lose weight if you account for the metabolic slow down which cant be more then 15-20 percent.. not saying its a bull**** disease im saying noone can blame not losing weight on it. its esp annoying when people who are taking meds pull the card they cant lose weight due to it, thats just absolute non-sense
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism is very easy to treat by just taking a specific dose of pill every day. When it's under control, your hormones should be normal and not affect your ability to lose weight. I take 205mcg daily, have been treating it for 15 years, and I had no trouble losing 20 lbs.

I don't have a thyroid and it is not easy to treat for me. I can't take synthetic meds, I have to take the natural meds. Armour or compounded meds. I get tested every 3 months because of this. It has been six years of problems for me, and right now I happen to be VERY sick because of the thyroid meds. My temperature is down to 95.3, my blood pressure, normal high is down to 100/55. I have no energy at all and can barely dress myself in the mornings. My heart is pounding even when I am just sitting down. So for most people it may be easy, but for me it is not.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. Been on levothyroxine since diagnosis in 2004. Although I still struggle with fatigue, I have not had any trouble losing weight, even on a 1500-1600 calorie net. That said, I am tall, and I also workout intensely.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I've worked with patients with under active thyroid. One prime example is a young woman that came into the office, she was visibly obese. She was 17 years old. She was feeling lethargic, barely being able to get out of bed in the morning. She was an athlete in high school and could barely get through her soccer practice because of the fatigue.

Tests were done on her thyroid, and it was discovered that her thyroid was not functioning because she had thyroid cancer. Her thyroid was surgically removed and she was put on synthetic hormones.

She lost all of the weight and just 3 months after having her thyroid removed was 50 lbs lighter and cancer-free. All of her thyroid levels were normal since she was being regulated with medication, which she'll have to take for the rest of her life.

The above example answers your question.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    people overblow this thyroid ****, there is studies that show the max it can slow down metabolic rate is 15% on a 1500 calorie maintenance that 150 calories that you dont burn that you should be... if its so bad you cant get out of bed, then thats another problem, but to claim the laws of thermodynamics change being hypo thyroid , is just ludicrous could be untreated hypothyroid and lose weight if you account for the metabolic slow down which cant be more then 15-20 percent.. not saying its a bull**** disease im saying noone can blame not losing weight on it. its esp annoying when people who are taking meds pull the card they cant lose weight due to it, thats just absolute non-sense

Where did you do your endocrinology residency?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Jim Wendler doesn't even have a thyroid.. He does just fine with his exercise plan.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid that is apparently healed - I beg to differ (I will with my doctor when I next get a chance) as I have countless symptoms, down to where I get acne, my low heart rate, out of breath after walking uphill. It's actually embarrassing, I'll walk up 3 flights of stairs and be feeling OK but panting like a dog, only to have people comment that I must be really unfit! And here I am snowboarding for about 4 hours a day at the moment and having 7 hours sleep a night feeling great :)

I have only seen a little weight drop now with excessive amounts of exercise. I am talking burning 1500cals a day from exercises (snowboarding) which involved cardio + strength training. So really to just say 'do a bit more' isn't that simple. Imagine feeling tired/lethargic all the time. It really can be hard to get out of bed sometimes and drives me crazy.

The forgetfulness isn't good either - I have met so many people recently and forget their name within about 3 seconds of hearing it, even when I try to remember!

This is me.
  • majomi1579
    Options
    I have an under active thyroid and have had it for years. I "can" lose weight but it is very difficult. No, you can not just exercise more because you tend to be extremely tired and, therefore, you don't want to exercise more (or less). I push. I lose slowly. I put it the weight back on. I take the weight off. I take medication and I get on with my life.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    I've been prescribed 25mg Levothyroxine for a few years now, however don't regularly take it (I plan on doing now). I think this is quite a low dose so I'm hoping I'm not *too* under active, but both my mother and her brother have it quite badly.

I definitely have all of the hallmark symptoms of under active thyroid when I'm not taking my meds regularly though.

I'm just worried about having yet another block in the way for my weight loss goal. Choosing what to eat and sticking to it is already a bit of a chore, and trying to work exercise into my routine is proving slightly difficult .. so I'd hate to have something that I can't control that's going to hamper things, especially if I'm putting all my effort into doing it the right way and not seeing results!

If I know I can just push the exercise up a bit more I'd probably feel better. Definitely didn't do well in the hormone lottery.. as well as the thyroid there's also a steroid hormone imbalance too! Although that has been under "control" for about 5+ years now.

I'm "obese" by BMI standards - 85kg at 164cm and I was hoping on losing between 0.5kg and 1kg a week until I hit my target weight.

I'll see what the doc says this week when I see them. Hoping for good news!

Why would you not take thyroid hormone that you have been prescribed? Thyroid hormone is a master regulator of metabolism. If fatigue isn't a good enough reason - what about high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol or other cardiac complications of hypothyroidism. There are serious health complications associated with thyroid hormone disregulation. Do you not owe it to yourself to take this issue seriously?
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    Jim Wendler doesn't even have a thyroid.. He does just fine with his exercise plan.

And the medication he takes to replace the missing hormone.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. Would you tell a type 1 diabetic to just eat less sugar?

Medication is necessary. Weight gain is by far the most acceptable side effect. The lack of any energy, depression, anxiety, are much, much worse.

I can tell you I barely had the entry to go to work and when I did I skated thru it. Desk job, didn't matter.

So no, you cannot just exercise more and fix it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    No, you can't "just" exercise more. Not even a lot more. Any more than you'd tell someone who'd paralyzed to "just" get up and walk. Hypothyroidism is a medical condition, a metabolic disorder, that causes the body to react differently. When your body's chemistry doesn't work correctly, it's not a simple matter of calorie or calorie out.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Check your math. 15% of 1500 is 225.

Let's say 2000 is normal maintenance. 15% slower for hypos by your count. 1700 maintenance. But hypos generally are so fatigued they are almost bedridden. So, maintenanc normal = 1800, 15% less, 270, 1530. That means to lose just one pound per week the person couldn't eat more than 1030 calories.

It is most certainly NOT an excuse.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

And Lance Armstrong never took steroids. Of COURSE, everyone with a similar medical condition should abandon treatment because something (allegedly) works for one person! Especially when that person is male, and women with hypothyroidism outnumber men 8 to 1. Because women's and men's bodies are the same. (Sarcasm totally intended.)

I hope you or someone you love never needs the empathy you seem to be lacking.

Geez ...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not going to address the uneducated fools knocking the difficulty or complexity of hypothyroidsm.

For those of you with this condition and trying to figure out diet and exercise a few things to consider if you still have a thyroid (even if under functioning)

- absence of exercise down-regulates adrenal/thyroid function: some exercise is good.
    - high amounts of exercise MAY down regulate thyroid function through the cortisol recovery path (stress and inflammation)
    - obesity up regulates certain hormonal functions (maybe) - it certainly does in animals and children, in adult humans it's a toss, your case might or might not be affected by weight significantly - so don't consider your solution to be the solution for all.
    - restricted diet most certainly affects thyroid function, first up regulating (get that food) and then down regulating (conservation and nutrient need).
    - food restriction (significant type elimination) has shown aggravation of hypothyroidism in at least one sub group (unpublished, afaik, so take with a grain of salt) - but it makes sense that eating a variety of food even when calorie restricting provides better nutrients and overall metabolic function.

So some exercise when possible(!) is beneficial. Over restriction on diet over extended periods of time might be counter productive but, it might be, a catch 22 with regards to obesity. Try to stay active, try to eat on the upper end of the slow weight loss range. Take breaks. The point here is that highly restrictive diets to lose weight may make things worse. Adding exercise, even if it just walking might allow for higher calories, better nutrient coverage and improved function.

There are a lot of conflicting info with regards to macros that might work or not for hypothyroidism (and toss in PCOS, in there) so I'd suggest that that's an area where changing macros is something one wants to try, be your own observer for a few weeks - logging energy levels, activity and seeing what works for you is something to consider.
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What?
    This is like saying to a depressed person 'why don't you smile more?'