Am I eating too much protein?

Options
I read an article that said too much protein consumption can cause negative effects on the body, I'm not too worried because I think it would have to be huge amounts all the time. Everyday I am usually around the 200g mark with my protein and I usually only get around half of my carbs. I love my food choices and I try to get protein into every meal I eat. Does anyone have any input on this? I am trying to build muscle and cut some fat as well. Thanks guys.

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Too much protein?

Ain't no such thing.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    200g is a bit high for you, but you will be fine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I read an article that said too much protein consumption can cause negative effects on the body, I'm not too worried because I think it would have to be huge amounts all the time. Everyday I am usually around the 200g mark with my protein and I usually only get around half of my carbs. I love my food choices and I try to get protein into every meal I eat. Does anyone have any input on this? I am trying to build muscle and cut some fat as well. Thanks guys.

it is pretty much malarky ..unless you are getting like 75% of your diet from protein or something crazy like that ….
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not too worried. I always say there isn't such thing as too much, stupid articles getting in my head! haha
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the others. Your overall diet looks pretty good (I just looked at today). Fruits and vegetables are definitely there. And it's not like you're getting all your calories from protein. Based on your goals, it's probably okay.

If you decided you did want to get a bit less protein, you could probably find something to have instead of some of the protein powder or egg whites, but in my (admittedly uneducated) opinion, if you feel good and are getting your micronutrients, you should be fine. (FWIW, there are blood/urine tests a doctor can order to make sure everything is in good order, if you really are concerned. I don't know about the costs at all, but I just had it done by a life insurance company I was getting a policy with)
  • Sonicz90x
    Sonicz90x Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's fine. As long as you're getting sufficient fat as well. Quite a lot will be oxidized and some other probably converted to glucose.
  • hilousna08
    hilousna08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not if it is the lean protein! I eat 135gr a day~~~ and I donated a kidney...:)
  • heavenridge
    heavenridge Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've heard similar things too. I think there are pretty obvious symptoms though...you would probably get sick. There are a lot of different kinds of protein, so as long as you are getting it from high quality sources you're fine. If you wana be safe just eat a gram per pound of body weight and up the carb intake. Nothing you haven't heard before. Lol
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Totes ok
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I eat about 120-150g aiming about 135 which is 1g per llb body weight. This makes up about 30% of my intake. I could happily eat more. I love my fish cottage cheese milk and yogurt :-)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Too much protein?

Ain't no such thing.
    pleasegoonwonka.jpg
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys! I am really happy with my food diary and what I eat :) and its working for me so far! Its good to get feedback though.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    As long as you don't eat a 80% carb diet you should be good
    Many people actually eat an 80% carb diet. If they make sure to get it from fresh produce, they stay pretty healthy.
    I eat about 70-85% of my calories from carbohydrates, and i am still alive, losing weight, gaining muscle, and improving fitness.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    As long as you don't eat a 80% carb diet you should be good
    Many people actually eat an 80% carb diet. If they make sure to get it from fresh produce, they stay pretty healthy.
    I eat about 70-85% of my calories from carbohydrates, and i am still alive, losing weight, gaining muscle, and improving fitness.
    Losing weight and gaining muscle??? Okay.
    Yep.