How fast can you run a mile?

Options

Replies

• patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I go all-out then maybe 6:30. My training runs on speed days take me around 3 miles in 21 minutes which is about 7:00/mile. If I had a mangy dog after me, maybe 3:00 min mile :laugh:
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile is 9, but at my comfortable pace it's about 11:30, down from 14-15 in July 2013!
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A 5 minute mile is tough even for people who ARE runners. I haven't personally run a timed mile in a few years, but I could probably break 7 minutes these days. I prefer distance to speed, though.

Good luck!
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Just recorded a new PB of 8m25s. That was the first mile of a 5km run.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Not sure. Depends who is chasing me...
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    im not a runner but once did a fitness test for running just after an hour spin class, it was called the cooper test.

i completed 2700 meters in 12 mins - which equates to 7.06 mins per mile.... This was an all out fitness test and a did actually go sick after it.

not bad for an ex 280lb fatty bom bom who used to be out of breath going up a flight of stairs :)
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    8 min, but only one mile. I can do 8:30 for 2 miles and about 9 for 3. Beyond 3 miles and i slow it down to about 10.

2 yrs ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds, so I'm pretty happy with it.
  • MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Options
    Between 6-7 minutes for me, when I'm running often. I started out around 4 or 5 years ago trying to run around my block and could only make it about 25 yards.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I think 7:15 or so was my best time, although I wasn't pushing myself at a 100%, full panic run as if I were being chased by a knife wielding bear. I bet I could cut it to under 7 minutes but I see no point in running timed miles.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    8:30 typical on race days. 9-10:00 on leisure days.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lenchmob
    lenchmob Posts: 49
    Options
    Just under 9 minutes here, but I am not built for fast running. (21% BF, 30% LM @ 185cms & 104kg)
  • jaya_lakshmi27
    Options
    I CAN run a mile in about 8:32, but my time for the last few months has consistently been around 9:05. I have to get back in shape!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, I just run to earn more calories to eat. I started almost 1.5 yrs ago. I use to do 14 min miles, but now if I run 6 miles or less I do 9.3 -10 min miles. 7 miles to 11 miles I do 11.3 min miles.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I can run a mile in just over 8 minutes if the wind is behind me and my legs are fresh. I used to be able to run a sub-7 minute mile when I was about 20 pounds lighter and in half-marathon shape; I'm hoping to get back to that speed again by the end of the summer! Your 5-6 minute goal is very ambitious! Be patient and you can get there eventually through diligence and lots and lots of hard work.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    my goal is ten minutes a mile..started out at walking and it took me 25 minutes!!! i am down to 12 now ..whoohoo
  • dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    you will gain 2 seconds/ mile for each pound you lose. 5-6 minute mile is really fast. Not impossible, but probably more than most are capable of achieving without a lot of work and dedication. Intervals (aka fartleks), hill repeats, and mile repeats are some speedwork techniques you might try. I am currently able to run an 8 minute mile for shorter runs (4 miles or less) (and it hurts!) i can do a 6:30 for 1 mile (that really hurts!) and I average about 9-10 for longer runs. I will be running my 4th marathon next weekend. My first marathon I kept a 10:51 pace- which worked out to be almost 5 hours of running.
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I normally run a mile between 8:30-9:00 minutes.
    When my son was in high school, his best time in track was 4:52 for the mile. It's been almost 10 years since he's been out of high school and he's not running anymore (although he does bike alot), not sure if he could run a 5-6 minute mile.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I accidentally clocked a 6:20 and 6:45 back to back on 5 mile training run because some old guy passed me and it made me mad (just one of those days). The rest of the run I spent in the upper 8's cussing myself for doing that as he drifted further and further away while my calves and lungs were on fire. That is why I love running though. One day you are freaking speedy McGhee, fastest guy on two legs and the next day you are humbled by an old dude burning up the the street.

I do want to do a timed one mile some point soon but I don't have a down day anytime soon in my training.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The fastest I've ever done a mile was 8:20. And that was because my piglet was with me, and she's freaking fast. For a 5k, when I have a healthy knee, I'm around a 10 minute mile. I drop to 12 mm for half marathons.