Success! (the redux)

Options
Once Upon A Time… (way back in 2010)
There was this girl. She was fat. She was depressed.
She found myfitnesspal, learned to eat well, and discovered the joys of exercise.
progression_zps93e0cb87.jpg

She got fit. She got strong. She got bendy.
backbridge_zps0f1bf527.jpg

She was the poster child for MFP Success. In fact, she even found love with a fellow poster child for MFP Success.
tim-bampa_zps6f88014d.jpg
(Isn't he gorgeous?!?!?... Although we have both put on a little bit of happy weight since meeting)

And then, one day, just before her birthday last year, she started having back pain.
This wasn’t precisely a new problem, but it had never been this severe before, and nothing was helping.
And then she woke up one day and her left leg wouldn’t move.
She tried to take a step. Her right leg went forward, but her left leg stayed put.
She tried to lift her foot. Nothing happened.
She tried to wiggle her toes. Nothing happened.
A rushed MRI sent her to the Emergency Room, where she was admitted, dosed up with lots of steroids, and scheduled for surgery in the morning (after being asked repeatedly and worriedly if she was pooping herself, which she later learned would have been an even bigger deal)

Happy Birthday to me...
Hospital_zpsd9e984a0.jpg

The good news was, I could wiggle my toes after the surgery. The bad news was, I couldn’t do much else. A disc had ruptured and, rather than just pinching a nerve as most ruptured discs (painfully, but not dangerously) do, my spinal cord had become compressed. The neurosurgeon, a brilliant man and the head of neuroscience at the hospital as well as a doctor with the bedside manner of an angry porcupine, informed me that he really couldn’t tell me what or how much improvement I could expect, but at least my toes wiggled!

Yay

I had the dubious distinction of ringing in my 29th birthday using a walker (yes, like the little old ladies use) to drag myself from one side of the apartment to the other. Did I mention I couldn’t feel my leg (other than nerve pain, but no outside sensation like pressure, temperature, scratching, etc) from the knee down? Lovely.

Over the next couple of months, I slooooooooooowly learned how to point my toes forward again. Then I learned how to lift my foot up. The tricky part was learning how to point my toes forward AND lift my foot up simultaneously to take an actual step. Living on the edge in physical therapy, I’m telling you!

Once I graduated from a walker to a cane, my superlyfantasticallywonderfullyamazing boyfriend had the brilliant idea to invest in a fish scale. The four main exercises I was working on in PT were pull-ins (knee bent, trying to squeeze my left leg in towards my right), pull-outs (opposite, pulling my left leg away from my body with my knee bent), push-downs (pushing my foot down), and pull-ups (pulling my foot up). Tim (aforementioned superman boyfriend) rigged it so I could put something around my knee for the first two exercises and around my foot for the last two and he could measure the pounds of resistance with the fish scale.

It was pretty pathetic. Like, I could pull in a whopping 3.26 lbs (and that was my GOOD lift). I’ve eaten bags of chocolate that weighed more than that.

We measured regularly over the next several months. I mostly saw improvements, except towards the end of the year when my back decided it still hated me. Thanks to the last year, I now look like I have an incomplete road map on my back:
backscars_zps56e10bc5.jpg

I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted and that really helped bring my pain down to a manageable level. I had three months of having to be REALLY careful so it didn’t shift while the scar tissue formed around it, but a couple of weeks ago I was able to start moving forward again. I ditched the cane!

And tonight? Tonight, my superfantasticallywonderfullyamazing FIANCEE (Yes! He proposed last week!) did the measurements again.

HOLY CRAP!
A year ago today, I couldn’t even wiggle my toes. Two months later, I was still really weak. The first time we measured was on June 9th.
Knee Pull-Ins were only 3.26 lbs. Today, I pulled in 34.4 lbs! That is over 1000% improvement!!!!!!!!!
Knee Pull-Outs were only 2.05 lbs. Today, I pushed 38.6 lbs! That’s nearly 1900% improvement!!!!
Foot Push-Downs? They started as my strongest, with a puny 7.62 lbs. Tonight, I pushed 41.4 lbs!!!!
And the foot pull-ups. Ugh. These were so hard! I could only do 1.64 pounds last year. Tonight? That was another huge improvement at 21.2 lbs.

So there’s my success story. I lost (and have kept off most of) a crap-ton of weight and got crazy fit. I had a HUGE setback one year ago and even though I have been through hell and back over the past year, and even though I walk with a pronounced limp and still deal with pain and weakness, I have come so far.

I am turning 30 on Saturday, and it’s going to be fantastic. I might not ever sling my son over my shoulder again, or bend over in an awesome bridge. I might never be the strongest, fastest, or fittest girl on MFP, but I can be the strongest, healthiest ME that my body will allow me to be.

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You are amazinglysuperfantasticallysuperdeedupertyawesome!

The doctors said where you were after 3 months was most likely were you were going to stay, but you've refused to give up! You've put one foot in front of the other, when it was hard, when it hurt, and even when you didn't want to, and you've consistently proved the superbrillantheadofthedepartmentangryporcupine doctor wrong!

Here's to another year of improvements and an amazing life together my love!

I looooooooove you soooooo much!!! (More)
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I could not have come this far without your patience, support, and encouragement. Thank you, my love.

(And I totally love you more)
  • tross0924
    Options
    Pfffft! Whatever!
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    wow ! Congratulations ! You are truly an inspiration. And you made me tear up.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Wow...just wow...

Congrats on the improvement and keep on keeping on...you're awesome!!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    OMG MEASURABLE IMPROVEMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!
    I knew you had been doing AWESOME but it is SO great to see a real, true, measurable difference from now and then. Thousands of percentages of improvement ahhhhhhh!!!!!
    Your avatars mess me up like usual.
    Also you are fabulous.
    Also also you are so wonderful and pretty and awesome and a great buddy.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Wow what a journey! Proof your spirit is invincible! Oh, and you found a keeper, congratulations.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's wonderful to 'see' the improvement you've made by not giving up. :)
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    you two are sweet.... and job well done!!
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well...

You made me cry. In the good way.
    Thank you. You -and your fiancee- are wonderful guys.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    For a minute I thought you were talking to yourself there! One of you should change profile pictures. :laugh:

Very inspirational and an amazing story. Well done. :flowerforyou:
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    I love your spirit! I haven't dealt with a 10th of the s*** thrown at you and it is so inspiring that you haven't let you spiral! Good on you and have an amazing, fantastic, wonderful, crazy, joyous birthday!

YOU DESERVE IT!:flowerforyou:
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your recovery!

I had orthopedic surgery last year (nothing as major as you) on my left hand, after one of the bones died, and I found that the surgeons are very pessimistic in their outlook with functional recovery; I think they like to under-promise and over-deliver, because some people don't put the work in, to get the best results.

(I now have full function of my left hand again, after 1 year of constant pain, and nearly no range of motion or strength).
  • ctkimmie
    ctkimmie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is a quiet voice, at the end of the day, saying "I will try again, tomorrow". Congratulations!
  • moxy28
    moxy28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Simply AMAZING!!!! Congrats on your engagement!!!! And all your other incredible success!! You are a ROCK STAR!!!
  • zellkas
    zellkas Posts: 3
    Options
    Amazing success, a real inspiration :)
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    amazing story
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Amazing story

I wish you well for the future

:smile:
  • tross0924
    Options
    For a minute I thought you were talking to yourself there! One of you should change profile pictures. :laugh:

Very inspirational and an amazing story. Well done. :flowerforyou:

Changed for clarification :-)
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Your amazing to come through what you have and still have the outlook that you have. Well done you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!