BREAD ,CARBS...

Options
Okay so i need to know how many of you cut out all bread and carbs? I love bread, and try not to eat it everyday. But sometimes its the easiest thing. and i do not want to cut it out completely. Scared of binge eating....

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical reason to not eat certain foods then eat your favorite foods. Fit it into your calorie limits. Focus on calorie deficiency.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There are low carb breads out there...look up "josephs lavish bread" for instance...thats what i use

i.e. dont try fitting your favorite foods into your diet. they will most likely have you feeling hungry. Eat healthy micro dense foods that are good in volume to help you stay full for longer. Basically never shop in the middle of a grocery store, only the outer rim
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Okay so i need to know how many of you cut out all bread and carbs? I love bread, and try not to eat it everyday. But sometimes its the easiest thing. and i do not want to cut it out completely. Scared of binge eating....

Hi, I cut out bread (although I will eat it if I fancy it now). I feel a lot healthier for it.

Also I have cut back on my carbs - I generally focus on salads and other cooked veggies - wit a little bit of fruit.

By cutting back on these things I no longer crave (if that's the correct terminology) them. Also I find that by lowering my carb intake (which is probably about 100g - 50g +/- on any one day) I have been able to control the volume of food I eat and rarely feel overly hungry.

If you fancy cutting back on carbs give it a go. Either it will work for you or it won't - you don't know till you try it.

If it doesn't work then IIFYM in a calorie deficit works well for a lot of people.

The great thing is you have options.
  • XLMACX
    XLMACX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i did a low carb diet then after coming off that i feel really frumpy after eating carbs so through week i eat little carb except chickpeas, sweetcorn MAYBE odd bit of couscous and fruits...on a the weekend i wil eat them though just not in huge quantaties i find bread is ok its mainly potatos that really make me bloat! i would say dont bother cutting carbs out if you dont need to its personal choice for me but if i never did the low carb plan i probably would still eat them normally its just how they make me feel now...plus life with carbs= cheaper shopping bills!
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I cut sweets, breads, legumes, dairy, on Paleo. Feel grea, lost 2 inches of bloat my first week.

You have to make the choices for yourself. Many prefer the moderation route. Find YOUR method, but a choice for life not 6 weeks for example.

Good luck
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cut it out? There is no nutritional reason to do this (unless you have some medical problem). Restricting yourself needlessly is why so many people fail. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You will always have temptation so you need to try and control your binge eating from the start cutting things out will just make you want them more.

Good luck
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Didn't exclude anything when I was losing weight.
    I did decide to limit bread to no more than once a day just as it's calorie dense, not very filling and also to add more variety to my diet.

I focus on minimums for protein and fat and then make sure it hit my calorie goal while eating foods I enjoy.

Excluding foods or food groups doesn't seem sensible to me unless that is the way you intend to eat forever.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Why do you want to cut it out? There is no nutritional reason to do this (unless you have some medical problem). Restricting yourself needlessly is why so many people fail. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You will always have temptation so you need to try and control your binge eating from the start cutting things out will just make you want them more.

Good luck

I am personal testament that cutting things out will make you want them less (but this will depend on the individual).

I used to love eating crisps and pizza, since cutting them I have not had the urge to eat them.

even if I do have a couple of crisps (when offered) or a slice of pizza (when out with friends), I do not find myself eating excessive amounts, as I would have previous.
  • missbirrell
    missbirrell Posts: 133
    Options
    I had some ill health last year that put me off bread, but I still eat it, just less of it. Instead of thick sliced bread, we buy medium. Or we buy wraps. Every few weeks I'll get a big craving for a baguette or something and I'll have it. Everything in moderation, life is too short to deprive yourself of your favourites.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    um....no food group should be off limits unless medically needed. Moderation is key. Don't deprive yourself. You will not be successful in the long run
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Why not eat carbs? No point in that, as long as you're in a caloric deficit (not too extreme) you should lose weight.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    um....no food group should be off limits unless medically needed. Moderation is key. Don't deprive yourself. You will not be successful in the long run

Based on what research. Moderation works for some and doesn't work for others. Cutting back/out certain foods works for some and doesn't work for other.

OP - give stuff a try - either it will work or it won't (you don't know till you try something).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6mCf_TWS2KKayDWmuxwA5rl4OCrGhsP5zD8uJSW4PmkNlSLRp
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

between 40-45% of my calories come from carbs... i dont eat bread that often, but i eat plenty of rice, potatoes and pasta... carbs are delicious!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Based on what research. Moderation works for some and doesn't work for others. Cutting back/out certain foods works for some and doesn't work for other.

OP - give stuff a try - either it will work or it won't (you don't know till you try something).
    Not research but would recommend having a read of this from the maintaining weight forum - it appears to me the majority of people who find the transition from weight loss to maintenance easy and successful are the ones who didn't exclude foods.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122899-maintenance-survey?hl=maintenance+survey
  • sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I still have bread every day, I get told that I eat too much. Maybe if I had cut bread out I would have lost weight quicker. But then again I know that if I had cut it out i wouldn't have stuck to my diet and would have given up a lot sooner and thus maybe not lost as much weight anyway. It's about what works for you. Everything in moderation :)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater. Low carb does make it easier not to binge, at least for me, because I'm just never going to binge on steak. I might stuff myself with it once in awhile, but I'm not going to crave it all day, then come home in the evening and devour half a cow.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I did not cut out carbs but eat a significantly low carb diet. I don't eat white breads, sugar, candy, sweets things of that nature. Well... once in a while I like to splurge but for the most part I stick to Josephs Lavash like another poster mentioned, it's great and is low carb. Once in a great while I'll do a small bowl of cereal or popcorn at night for the fiber. Other than that I try to get almost all of my carbs from veggies and limited fruit. I do love dairy and eat a ton of yogurt. Anyway, this has helped me to feel better and have less bloat as well. I eat a ton of protein which keeps me full and pretty much eliminates any cravings I might have or the urge to binge. Hope this helps :)
  • iluvmpiche
    Options

I used to have such a terrible binge-eating problem. Truthfully, I've always been skinny-mini. Most people think I'm underweight, but my BMI is off the charts because I'm the dreaded "skinny fat," which I became from binge eating.

My brother and I used to eat a box of donuts EACH every morning before school. We're just thin like that. Up until last year, I've usually spent my weekends eating a box/package of cookies in one sitting or gobbling down slices of bread. BREAD PRODUCTS ARE ADDICTIVE!

Then, I found out I have a gluten allergy, which explains a LOT. Long story short, cutting the bread completely has made a HUUUUGE difference. You do need carbs, but you don't need bread. I battle binge-eating by buying mainly produce, which vegetables... omg you can just eat and eat and eat. But, that doesn't help the binging problem.

Comes down to self-control. If you know what your weakness is (bread in this case), find subsitutes. Make cauliflower bread. Use lettuce instead of a tortilla. The healthier alternatives tend to lead to healthier meals, and healthier meals tend to be more filling. Getting that "full feeling" is helping me against binge-eating.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat a bagel everyday for breakfast and toast with jam everyday for a sdnack. There is nothing wrong with carbs!

Eat at a deficit=weight loss
  • ronelg50
    ronelg50 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your inputs. I do not want to cut out carbs, i am just scared if i dont i will not reach my target. But i will stick to my eating plan. I have one from a dietician. But there's alot of carbs on, and most days i eat less than the amount i am allowed. I have lost, quicker in the beginning. Its slowing down know.... thinking i am getting really hard on myself. How big should my calorie deficit be everyday?