Nursing Student with Food Addiction

Options
Hey guys! I'm Samantha, and I'm 26 years old. I'm currently a nursing student working towards becoming a RN. I've probably "tried" to lose weight more times than I can count, but this time I'm a pretty desperate. I'm 5'1 and weigh in at 247 lbs, this means I've gained over 100 lbs since high school. As a nurse I want to be able to a good example for patients, but I feel like I can't do that until I learn to get my food addictions under control and get myself to a healthy place. I was a three sport athlete in high school, but at this weight I have a hard time handling 15 minutes on the Arc Trainer. I'll keep my food diary open to friends...so anyone out there want to be there to cheer a girl on?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey to better health! Congrats on deciding to git-r-done.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Samantha: Good luck in your quest to get healthy! :flowerforyou:

I do not believe in food addiction so I'm not sure I'm the right person to give you support. Calling it an addiction give you a crutch. Eat less, exercise more.

May you find your path to healthy and good luck with school!
  • SamanthaJo1027
    Options
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If you truly have food addiction, I suggest seeking help through a counselor or therapist.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My advice to you is to not worry about not living up to an expectation of how you should be- and just focus on What will make you happy. You may think this is silly advice- but let me explain. My opinion on the matter is that we are always worried about what society thinks we should be in certain roles- that when we actually accomplish something great it deminishes from what we have actually achieved.

Dont worry about being the role model- because when you set your mind to making yourself happy once you accomplish that goal people notice or they wont. What matters is how you feel. Things will fall into place and maybe someone will see you as a good role model...Maybe they wont. Dont let it define you.

Start making the best choices you know how- Seek Support- Take steps to greatness. MFP Board offer much knowledge/ and support.

GOod luck on your journey
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If you truly have food addiction, I suggest seeking help through a counselor or therapist.

This.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

This.

Agreed. Addictions cannot usually be self managed. Please seek out a therapist and begin finding the underlying cause.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Just going to put this here....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

Read the link and all of the links in it. (It is a long read, but worth it)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This.

Agreed. Addictions cannot usually be self managed. Please seek out a therapist and begin finding the underlying cause.

agreed.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

This.

agreed.
    x3... for emphasis.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe in food addiction because I've been battling it since before you were born (I'm an RN, btw.)

I don't believe I will ever "get over" my problem with food. I can't tell you what will work for you but I can tell you what works for me. Forcing myself to log every bite that I take (even when I go over my calorie allowance, etc.) forces me to be aware of what I'm eating and to take responsibility for what and how much I eat. My worst binges occurred when I was in "blackout" mode. In other words, I was eating without knowing what I was eating, many times I didn't even realize I WAS eating until I threw up because my stomach couldn't handle any more. That hasn't happened in the last 75 days or so - when I first started logging everything. Now, even when I binge, it's not the 4000 or 5000 cals I used to consume, it's more like 200-300 cals over my cal allowance. If opening your food diary helps you stay on track, do that. For me, if I thought anyone could see my food diary I would start lying and that would completely undermine the program for me. I'm only trying to be accountable to myself.

I've read some posts on MFP from binge eaters and when they log the food becomes too central to them. The more attention they give the food, the more likely they are to binge.

Some give up trigger foods. If I did that, I would only be able to eat tomatoes (YUCK!) and beets (DOUBLE YUCK!!) I guess I would lose a lot of weight, though. I'd look like a concentration camp survivor. I've even binged on uncooked tofu. Yes, really. :noway: I suspect it's going to have to be trial and error for you. Just remember to make only sustainable changes. This isn't so much a short-term band-aid as a long-term solution.

For those that advocate for counseling - I second that. When I first began wrestling with food addiction it was thought to be more of a moral defect than an actual problem so counseling consisted of telling me what a pig I am and to "just put down the fork." How can you put down a fork you don't realize you've even picked up? Anyway, the medical community is now beginning to understand that the changes in the brain closely resemble those with other addictions such as cocaine and ETOH.

Study hard! Just remember: When taking the NCLEX, give them the answers they want, not the ones based in reality! :laugh: :laugh:
  • SamanthaJo1027
    Options
    Thanks for the replies
  • weightliftinggirl
    weightliftinggirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am also a nursing student (four months until I have my BSN, yay!). I have become motivated to get healthy and lose weight after seeing how obesity can predispose people to so many diseases. For me, it's not just about losing weight, it's also having a much lower risk of getting diseases such as type two diabetes, coronary artery disease, heart attacks, etc. Find what motivates you, and when you get discouraged think about that! I truly think it helps.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Loss4TheWin Posts: 249
    Options

I do not believe in food addiction so I'm not sure I'm the right person to give you support. Calling it an addiction give you a crutch. Eat less, exercise more.

I don't have a food addiction, or any other type of addiction, but statements like that still curl my hair. It's crappy. If someone said they were an alcoholic and you replied "I don't believe in that, so I can't give you support - calling it an addiction gives you a crutch, drink less"...that's just as crappy, but it's totally accepted on this site. In fact, I'm going to be the one catching all kinds of hate, not you...but it shouldn't be that way. If you don't "believe" in alcoholism, then just ignore the post entirely, or say "good luck on your journey" and move on - but the need to publicly discredit their claim just ticks me off. Why was that necessary?

I KNOW you don't know or understand the definition of addiction and aren't aware that there are varying degrees on the spectrum - and maybe you aren't aware that top experts in the field of psychology have accepted food addiction along with gambling addiction, shopping addiction, addiction to online gambling, etc. There's still some debate, but it's becoming more broadly accepted in the community. Let me help so you don't potentially hurt someone in the future by telling them you "dont believe" in their problem.

DEFINITION of addiction:

Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences,[1] or a neurological impairment leading to such behaviors.[2]

Addictions can include, but are not limited to, drug abuse, exercise addiction, food addiction, computer addiction and gambling. Classic hallmarks of addiction include impaired control over substances or behavior, preoccupation with substance or behavior, continued use despite consequences, and denial.[3] Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).[4]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction

If that doesn't describe some people's relationship with food, then butter me and call me a biscuit.

Symptoms of Addiction
    •The cardinal symptom of addiction is the inability to limit use of a substance or activity beyond need leading to clinically significant impairment. (like obesity? Type II diabetes perhaps? Sleep apnea?)

•There is a craving or compulsion to use the substance or activity.

•Recurrent use of the substance or activity impairs work, social, and family responsibilities, creates psychological impairments and interpersonal problems, has negative effects on health, mood, self-respect, exacerbated by the effects of the specific substance itself.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/addiction/symptoms

So in school, you may have learned about drug addiction. You may have learned about withdrawal symptoms - skin crawling, vomiting, cold sweats, seizures. So you may think that because people don't experience these types of symptoms from withdrawal of food/sugar, etc. that they aren't truly addicted. But withdrawal symptoms also include anxiety, irritability, intense cravings...

I know I'm not going to change your mind, or any one else's and I know people are going to attack me for saying it, but I don't care... I just needed to say it. I felt it was rude to walk in on someone saying "I have a problem" to say "I don't believe in your problem" and I had to say something.

ANYWAY- OP, good luck - and I agree with the folks that have suggested therapy. There are many many therapists that specialize in eating disorders, including food addiction and behavior therapy that can help you break the cycle. This article may be a helpful start. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/shrink/201207/do-i-have-food-addiction

Welcome to MFP!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I am also a nursing student (four months until I have my BSN, yay!). I have become motivated to get healthy and lose weight after seeing how obesity can predispose people to so many diseases. For me, it's not just about losing weight, it's also having a much lower risk of getting diseases such as type two diabetes, coronary artery disease, heart attacks, etc. Find what motivates you, and when you get discouraged think about that! I truly think it helps.

Why are you nursing students on the MFP message boards? Study! Study! We old nurses need a break! :laugh:

Hint: Oh, yeah, and if possible, when you begin to work as nurses, try to find employment with hospitals that have good mentoring programs. Believe me, it will make all the difference!

:flowerforyou: For you both! Now, go study!! :wink:
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    People are being a bit facetious because you used the word "addiction." Unless you have an actual eating disorder (I don't think you do), I doubt anybody here really thinks you need therapy. If you simply have trouble controlling your desire to eat, we all can help you keep on track. That is, when people stop treating it like an ongoing inside joke and actually offer sincere help.

I'm an RN too, I'll send you a request! :flowerforyou:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    People are being a bit facetious because you used the word "addiction." Unless you have an actual eating disorder (I don't think you do), I doubt anybody here really thinks you need therapy. If you simply have trouble controlling your desire to eat, we all can help you keep on track. That is, when people stop treating it like an ongoing inside joke and actually offer sincere help.

Well, that's presumptuous of you. I hope anyone with an addiction has the fortitude to seek some form of counseling or help to get them through it. If they don't think they need it, then perhaps they were being facetious by using the term "addiction" for something that isn't.
  • Cardio_Cutie
    Options
    I have a food addiction as well XD I started today and Im gonna work hard to get to may goal I weigh 205 so we arent too far from each other C: I hope you get to your goal, I know you can
  • SamanthaJo1027
    Options

Well, that's presumptuous of you. I hope anyone with an addiction has the fortitude to seek some form of counseling or help to get them through it. If they don't think they need it, then perhaps they were being facetious by using the term "addiction" for something that isn't.

I was not being facetious in saying that I have an addiction, as my binge eating and the fact that food is always on the mind is very real. Whether people were serious or joking, I do know that I do need to seek some form of help, as I realize that a few major situations that I never worked through are probably underlying causes.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

She says she has an addiction. Addictions are best treated through therapy, rehabilitation, 12 step programs, in patient facilities, group meetings, etc.

I do not know if she has an addiction or not, but I'm taking her at her word and advising her accordingly.