eggs

Options

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    How's your cholesterol to begin with? If you don't have issues I wouldn't worry. My whole family has issues with it but I don't seem to at least not yet. :) I eat eggs and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I too feel horrible about the wasting so sometimes I do separate them and scramble the yolks up for my chickens. lol. I decided that I would try having some chickens around to lay some eggs after the last recall. It's been 6 mo and the dang birds aren't laying. One of these days I'll have fresh eggs. lol.

Good luck with your research and decision.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If there whole eggs yes...I did that and ended up with my cholesterol being higher then it should be..If you eat just the whites thats better for you..

I always felt like it was such a waste of food to throw out the yolks :(

Your problem would be easier if you had a baby to feed the yolks to.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Eating dietary cholesterol does not give you more cholesterol in your body. Consuming saturated fat does.
    I got this from a book called Power Eating and one of the authors is a nutritionist.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Egg are good food you.
    Yolk is a good food for the brain.
    I only eat free range chicken.
  • shaggy22
    Options
    You do not need to worry about cholesterol from egg yolks.

When people initially started to see links from heart disease to high blood cholesterol they just started pointing at anything containing cholesterol and saying that it is dangerous.

That is like seeing a piece of wood on fire realising that you have wood in your house at home and running home screaming "my house is on fire".

Seriously, it is a bit maddening to see this old voodoo science still being perpetuated.

This just in ... the earth goes around the sun ...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    There's been loads of research on the subject in recent years and everything seems to point to food cholesterol not affecting blood cholesterol. So unless you already have high cholesterol or a history of it in your family you don't need to worry about it.

Not everything. :flowerforyou:

Quite a few recent studies that I have seen have stated just the opposite, and that's what makes finding "truth" difficult. I posted a couple of related topics a couple of weeks ago if you care to dig them up, one in particular had a poster list recent studies with links and/or documentation so I can look it up and these all stated that dietary cholesterol DOES affect blood cholesterol levels.

I reduced my cholesterol a couple of years ago through cutting out egg yolks, limiting red meat, and eating more fish, oatmeal, and Shakeology (yes, that product that so many people around here love to bash).

This past year, I eased up on my diet and started eating egg yolks more often, more red meat, and eating less fish and oatmeal. Exercise and the rest of my diet stayed relatively the same. And my cholesterol went up.

I am reverting back to eating whites only, red meat only once a week, having fish 3 times a week, and either oatmeal or Shakeology for breakfast each day. I will go back to the doctor around June, and I expect to see a change for the better in cholesterol.

So, no matter which side of the fence is "correct," I would simply use caution and do as suggested above: buy some egg beaters, or similar egg white product, and eat all you want. Also, the occasional yolk shouldn't hurt either.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    There's been loads of research on the subject in recent years and everything seems to point to food cholesterol not affecting blood cholesterol. So unless you already have high cholesterol or a history of it in your family you don't need to worry about it.

Not everything. :flowerforyou:

Quite a few recent studies that I have seen have stated just the opposite, and that's what makes finding "truth" difficult. I posted a couple of related topics a couple of weeks ago if you care to dig them up, one in particular had a poster list recent studies with links and/or documentation so I can look it up and these all stated that dietary cholesterol DOES affect blood cholesterol levels.

I reduced my cholesterol a couple of years ago through cutting out egg yolks, limiting red meat, and eating more fish, oatmeal, and Shakeology (yes, that product that so many people around here love to bash).

This past year, I eased up on my diet and started eating egg yolks more often, more red meat, and eating less fish and oatmeal. Exercise and the rest of my diet stayed relatively the same. And my cholesterol went up.

I am reverting back to eating whites only, red meat only once a week, having fish 3 times a week, and either oatmeal or Shakeology for breakfast each day. I will go back to the doctor around June, and I expect to see a change for the better in cholesterol.

So, no matter which side of the fence is "correct," I would simply use caution and do as suggested above: buy some egg beaters, or similar egg white product, and eat all you want. Also, the occasional yolk shouldn't hurt either.
    Sp possibly yours might be genetic. I eat 3 eggs a day almost without fail. Had my cholesterol checked a couple of months ago...perfectly healthy. At my unhealthiest, when I could have cared less what I ate (and believe me 95% was bad), my cholesterol was normal. Given the studies I have ready in addition to my personal proof, I would say it is genetic. For more empirical evidence, just ask people who have lowered their cholesterol and still have to take meds for treatment.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you must eat them, please try to get some at your local farmers market and learn where they are coming from, or at the VERY VERY least go free range. Seriously.

And make sure it says free range. Cage free isn't the same thing.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I eat 3 eggs every day for breakfast (2 whites one whole). I have zero cholesterol problems.

**also, if you want to make a more conscious egg purchase: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-sweet-beet/brown-vs-white-eggs-egg-facts_b_794565.html#s203358
  • binary_jester
    Options
    No offense to the peeps concerned with how chickens are treated (because I don't care how chickens are treated), but as an FYI in regards to free range eggs, those eggs are higher in CLA, which is a good thing.
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I raise chickens and eat a lot of eggs. I do not have a cholesterol problem. Flax seed is good for reducing "bad" cholesterol and raising the "good". I sprinkle it on a lot of my food, it probably helps to keep it in check.
  • modernfemme
    Options
    No offense to the peeps concerned with how chickens are treated (because I don't care how chickens are treated), but as an FYI in regards to free range eggs, those eggs are higher in CLA, which is a good thing.

You're normally a pretty funny dude, but I don't really find animal cruelty anything other than offensive. I'm fine with people eating meat, but being on top of the food chain doesn't give us the right to do what those slaughterhouses do. So easy on the apathy there bud :)
  • binary_jester
    Options

You're normally a pretty funny dude, but I don't really find animal cruelty anything other than offensive. I'm fine with people eating meat, but being on top of the food chain doesn't give us the right to do what those slaughterhouses do. So easy on the apathy there bud :)
    Just an honest opinion. When i buy chicken or eggs, that aspect doesn't even enter my mind. What my point was, even if you don't care, as in my case, there is still a perk to buying free range chicken, eggs and even beef. CLA has been shown to specifically reduce stomach fat, which I find really interesting.
  • modernfemme
    Options
    Just an honest opinion. When i buy chicken or eggs, that aspect doesn't even enter my mind. What my point was, even if you don't care, as in my case, there is still a perk to buying free range chicken, eggs and even beef. CLA has been shown to specifically reduce stomach fat, which I find really interesting.

Touche. It's really easy to detach yourself from the fact that the 6-pack of chicken you're about to buy were once animals. We're pretty sheltered from the industry.

I'm down with losing stomach fat.
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    I think also in terms of my mentality toward food, one of my biggest lessons has been learning that throwing away food is not always a bad thing. I no longer feel bad throwing crap in the garbage that I used to throw in my stomach just because I didn't want it to "go to waste."

Thanks! This is a good way to think of it. My problem is with leftovers - either cleaning my plate or putting away the rest of a dish even though I'm never going to use it.
  • binary_jester
    Options

Touche. It's really easy to detach yourself from the fact that the 6-pack of chicken you're about to buy were once animals. We're pretty sheltered from the industry.

I'm down with losing stomach fat.
    Sheltered? Not me. As a kid I remember raising chickens. My parents killing them for dinner...being scared to death of the rooster...I even had a chicken as a pet until he drowned in the pool. All that doesn't keep me away from KFC, but the oozy..queasy feeling after does. LMAO.gif
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I think also in terms of my mentality toward food, one of my biggest lessons has been learning that throwing away food is not always a bad thing. I no longer feel bad throwing crap in the garbage that I used to throw in my stomach just because I didn't want it to "go to waste."

Thanks! This is a good way to think of it. My problem is with leftovers - either cleaning my plate or putting away the rest of a dish even though I'm never going to use it.

There is a great book by Linda Spangle called the 100 Days of Weight Loss that tries to re-teach us to leave food on our plate and to stop over feeding our bodies.
  • binary_jester
    Options

There is a great book by Linda Spangle called the 100 Days of Weight Loss that tries to re-teach us to leave food on our plate and to stop over feeding our bodies.
    It is such a battle to NOT eat everything. It even applies to stop from eating an entire bag of chips.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I use one egg, and then egg whites to make omletts. I like the protein in eggs, but i don't eat them every day so that's different.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    It is such a battle to NOT eat everything. It even applies to stop from eating an entire bag of chips.

Its ingrained in us from our first spoonfuls of baby food. What parents here have not encouraged an empty plate with our children.

Clearing your plate is a lifetime habit that will take a while to break. I'm putting far less on my plate but I'm still having a problem leaving any even when I know I'm full. I tend to eat my meals off a side plate now, so even if I do clear my plate its only a matter of an extra mouthful these days!