Would like to get a bike...

Options
So I would like to get a bike to ride on the road or at the park, but am not quite sure where to begin. There are so many different options that it confuses me. I would like to go to the bike shop prepared so that I don't get ripped off. I don't want to go too crazy with the money. If anyone could recommend a bike or tell me where to begin I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Broadly you've got three different types of bike; road, mountain or hybrid.

Road have classic drop handlebars, very narrow tyres and generally 16-22 gears in a wide range suitable for high speed and good power transfer.

Mountain bikes tend to be more upright with fat, studed tyres, generally shocks on at least the front end, and generally 24 or so gears optimised for climbing, so in a lower range.

Hybrids tend to be an upright ride position wth moderate, smooth tyres and a gear range in between.

From what you're describing a hybrid would be more appropriate, Road bikes can be an uncomfortable ride and a mountain bike can be a lot of work to pedal.

I'd suggest looking for pannier lugs, so that you can carry loads if you need to,

Remember a lid, and basic tools and spare tubes. I'd also recommend some lessons on basic bike maintenance, at the very least a book on the subject.
  • redcon1228
    Options
    Good summary by MeanderingMam! One thing I would add is to seek out used bikes on Craigslist, etc before you drop a bunch of money. You may not enjoy cycling for fitness. The most important rule is to get a bike to fit you, no matter what the type. I started riding again many years back now, and rode a heavy, cheap mountain bike until it broke. Remember the weight of the bike adds to the workout.

Now I have 5 bikes and am always looking for more, LOL
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to buy new I would just go to a bike shop and start trying out some different brands and styles. Most have test tracks or will let you ride them around the parking lot. Just know that not all bike stores carry all brands... some only carry certain ones. My husband and I recently spent 2 weeks looking for new bikes and finally bought them. We didn't know anything about what we wanted or where to start. The guys at the shops were great and really helpful. Once you figure out what style you like that is comfortable you can do some research to find different options that you like (disc brakes, trigger shift, etc) and whether or not they are available on your particular model.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    my last few bikes were $20 at garage sales. of course, DH bought a $20 bike, stripped it down, had it painted and re-built, and ended up paying more than i did for my last car...
    the important thing is to decide where and how you will use that bike. if your road is uneven, or there is gravel, a road bike may be too dainty (apparently you can bend wheels jumping a curb :tongue:) a mountain bike can probably take anything you throw at it, but will be more work to get from a to b.
    for me, i've had too many accidents to feel truly comfortable on a bike, but have found cycling on a bicycle trail with my new (used) hybrid to be quite enjoyable. drop handles and drop gears scare me, so road bikes are not my cup of tea, and the one time i used a mountain bike in its 'natural' environment, i nearly broke my thigh bone. so no thanks.

if i were looking at getting a new bike, i'd either check out craigslist, or some flea markets in the area. there is also a bike co-op nearby that does maintenance, and sells used, but fixed up/road ready bikes for enthusiasts without maintenance knowledge. (i can do pretty much anything needed on a bike, but sometimes it is easier to buy a fixed up one, than worry about where to buy cables, etc...)
    if you are looking at buying a used bike, be aware of the work and cost involved if it isn't in great shape. tires, tubes, chains and cables all add up. but usually still turn out cheaper than a new $1500 bike...
    and there are some genuine finds - i once bought a beautiful bianchi road bike for $20 with its original tires still on, everything in basically mint condition, just some 20 years old. beautiful bike, but i was too scared to ride it so i sold it for a profit... i miss it almost every day, though...
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Get a fixed gear. Super fun! You can get a good one for real cheap if you want to, or even make your own. Low in maintenance, too. And they go fast!
    Feel free to contact me if you want some more info.

I just got this one, I absolutely love riding it. Easily goes 30km/h on average.
    Birota-Hammer-Classic-600x600.jpg