How to be consistent with mfp

Options
2»

Replies

• bumble573
    bumble573 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use the Android app on my phone and log everything, even down to medications I take, then I can see where I am. I also use it for pre planning meals. Only been going for just over a month, but I have the logging bug!
  • daveyb989
    daveyb989 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Log your calories for a day without a plan etc and gasp at what you thought was a normal healthy diet. That shocked my wife into starting a month ago and its going well for her 8lb los so far. I decided to start one day a few weeks ago and it's going well lost over 10lbs in 6 weeks - trying to lose 1lb a week but not getting stressed if it doesn't happen every week. Exercise is working for me - swimming to be precise - find something that burns cals and go for it
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You need to develop it as a habit.

How do we form new habits? The best way is to glom a new habit onto another habit that you already have.

I have a habit of waking every morning and using the bathroom first thing. (Do you?)

I put my scale in the bathroom near the toilet. So, I weigh myself every day right after using the bathroom. (Boom! New habit attached to old habit.)

I signed up for MFP and after I weigh myself every morning I record my weight on MFP. (Boom! New habit attached to old habit.)

Hmmm. Now, I am logging on to MFP every day. You know what else I do every day? Eat! Now I record what I eat for breakfast after waking up, peeing and weighing myself. (Boom! New habit attached to old habit.) (And I carry on from there, logging whatever else I eat. Eat = log it on MFP.)

You see how this works?

If you want to make MFP a habit, then you will have to be very conscious about logging in on a daily basis and actually using it to log your food and other measurements (if you so desire). No one else is going to form this habit for you. You've just got to do it, as Nike would put it.

(It helps to add pals so that you can chat, commiserate, brag, complain, etc. about your trials, tribulations, and successes.)
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have it set to my home page on my browser. I've hit over 1000 days in a row now.

So thats how people do it!! Smart!
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have logged on for 927 days so far. I haven't logged food on all those days and there have been tons of times that I have fallen off track but I still remember to log on everyday and know in my mind that I have not given up! Sometimes I feel that if I were to miss a day I might just quit altogether lol. As far as actually logging food goes, I find prelogging to be the most effective. I try to plan out the whole day and then make changes if needed. When I dont pre-log (like the last few days :embarassed: ) I eat bad and then dont end up logging any of it :cry:

For me it's still a struggle after over 2 1/2 years. Seeing results make it easier but when I feel like I am not losing even when I am trying so hard it gets frustrating but I make sure to keep logging on and keep trying no matter what.
  • sheskimtastic
    Options
    I've had to set an alarm on my phone. My worst days are when I'm out of town and it just slips my mind. I've found that because I meal plan, I just log everything ahead of time and then change if needed.
  • jmartis21
    jmartis21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have it set to my home page on my browser. I've hit over 1000 days in a row now.

This!! Such a great idea!! I've just added it as a bookmark and have placed it on the bookmark bar here at work.
  • FatNFightingIt
    FatNFightingIt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends said the secret for her was pre-logging and I've heard others have had real success doing that, too. So now I've made logging the first thing I do each day on the computer and that seems to help give me a road map for the rest of the day. Also helps keep me accountable as I see how my nutrition is going throughout the day. Sometimes I have to do some alterations when my dinner choices change (like they did tonight) but it's easy to do.

This is exactly what I do. Planning is half the battle. If I can plug in my meals right away in the morning, I can see where I am at and have room to adjust as needed. Without that knowledge, I would not be able to stay within my calorie/fat/carb/sodium goals.
  • haleymiller0707
    haleymiller0707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great idea adding it to your homepage.
  • frickhead
    frickhead Posts: 17
    Options
    On your app you can set reminders to go off if you haven't logged your meals at a certain time! You should try that so you'll feel encouraged to log in and log your meals/exercise. :)
  • Jorbenica
    Options
    I too have found when I pre-chart what I'm going to eat I tend to do much, much better. Maybe it's because I don't want to have to edit the entry but I don't want to be lying about what I ate. Forced accountability! I hadn't thought about making it my home page when I log in the computer but I think it's a great idea. I had hit somewhere between 20-30 days and then missed about 2-3 in a row and got reset back to zero. Day 3 of this go-round.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I pre-log everything for the next day the evening before. That way I'm never standing in front of the open fridge, hungry and ready to eat anything I see. For me, having a plan leads to success.
  • jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I joined one of the challenges. I switch every month to keep it interesting.