Cabbage-beyond soup and slaw

Options

Replies

• Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I made Sweet and Sour Cabbage tonight and it was quite good. Instead of beef meatballs, I used extra lean ground turkey sausage and instead of brown sugar, I used Splenda blend. I also added vinegar at the end - we like our sweet and sour to be sweet but still have that sour bite. :D

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandma-Elaines-Unstuffed-Sweet-and-Sour-Cabbage/Detail.aspx?evt19=1
  • pkralev
    pkralev Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Love me some cabbage! I usually chop and saute with splash of olive oil and minced garlic, but I'll be trying some of these great ideas. Thanks for sharing everyone.
  • JesChernosky
    JesChernosky Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like using it instead of lettuce for "lettuce wraps". It's crispier, thicker, and more durable. Plus, I love the way it tastes with the meat. I also love to put it on my turkey tacos :)
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I like using it instead of lettuce for "lettuce wraps". It's crispier, thicker, and more durable. Plus, I love the way it tastes with the meat. I also love to put it on my turkey tacos :)

That's a terrific idea! Gonna try it. Thanks!
  • blacklatindivaaz
    blacklatindivaaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ummm! That sounds yummy!
  • blacklatindivaaz
    blacklatindivaaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You've heard of the trinity..onion, celery, and bell pepper? Well I do the quatro and add bacon to it or any other smoked meat. just about 5-6 slices of turkey bacon, chopped or turkey smoked kebisa( 1/2 of one link sliced ) to one head of green cabbage. I saute the meat with the trinity until the meat is browned and crisp. (The meat makes its own oil.) Then I throw in rinsed, drained, de-cored and cut up cabbage and stir fry for about 5 minutes, season with salt , blk pepper and crushed red pepper flakes (to taste), then turn heat down to low and cover and cook for 20 minutes until tender. The flavors are awesome! Mix up the green pepper with yello w and red for a festive look!

I also use the Quatro for baked beans, pork and beans, mac and cheese out of the box, and any stir-fried veggies.
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I love all the wonderful ideas everyone has shared so far. I always order CABBAGE ROLLS at a nice Polish Restaurant because I love them but feel intimidated about making them.

Today I saw the idea of UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS here and immediately checked the web. Definitely do-able. You can cook over-the-stove, in a crockpot slow cooker, in the oven as a casserole. Endless versions of my fav cabbage rolls! Here are links to the unstuffed version plus a video on the original stuffed version.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/255/Unstuffed_Cabbage_Casserole57423.shtml

http://www.food.com/recipe/unstuffed-cabbage-roll-casserole-203962

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Unstuffed-Cabbage-Dinner/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=unstuffed cabbage&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Video

http://allrecipes.com/video/1287/cabbage-rolls-ii/detail.aspx?prop24=RD_VideoTipsTricks
  • joaneebabee_123
    joaneebabee_123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight.... really good.
    Chicken Yakisoba

Serves: 6
    Ingredients
    ½ head green cabbage 1 medium yellow onion
    2 medium carrots 1 small crown broccoli
    2 inches fresh ginger 1 large chicken breast
    2 Tbsp vegetable oil 2 (3 oz.) packages ramen noodles seasoning packets discarded
    ¼ cup soy sauce 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
    2 Tbsp ketchup ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 Tbsp sugar (up to) 1 Tbsp sriracha hot sauce

Instructions
    1. Before you begin, prepare the meat and vegetables for stir frying. Peel the ginger with either a vegetable peeler or the side of a spoon and then grate it with a cheese grater. Peel and grate the carrots with a large holed cheese grater. Remove the core from the cabbage and cut into thin strips. Slice the onion into thin strips. Cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Slice the chicken into thin strips.
    2. Begin boiling a medium pot full of water for the noodles. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the grated ginger, sauté for about 30 seconds to one minute (it’s okay if it sticks to the pan but don’t let it burn). Add the chicken strips and cook until they are no longer pink (about five minutes).
    3. Once the chicken is cooked through, add all of the vegetables. Stir and cook until wilted (about 5-10 minutes). Meanwhile, once the water boils, add the noodles and cook just until tender (2-3 minutes). Drain, return to the pot (with the heat turned off) and toss with the sesame oil to keep from sticking.
    4. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, sriracha, and sugar. Use only ½ tsp of sriracha if you don’t want it spicy, use up to 1 Tbsp if you like it hot. Stir until the ketchup and sugar are dissolved. Pour the sauce into the skillet with the chicken and vegetables with the heat still on medium high. Add the noodles; stir to coat everything in the sauce, and heat through (just a few minutes).
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have made a cabbage soup using turkey polish sausage, onion, carrots, diced tomatoes and low sodium chicken broth..
  • ithibeaux
    Options
    That sounds awesome! I have avoided the rice and meat all together. I put 2 containers of sliced mushroom in a blender with onions, bellpepper, celery, and garlic. Once it's blended I let it sit for about 30 minutes so that all the seasonings can marinate together. Then I put it in a pot with a little olive oil and brown it. The I put it in a pot that is cooking on a low temp that has v8 juice chopped cabbage, and spinach. Then I let it cook for about 25 minutes! According to MFP it is only 98 calories a cup! That is what I call my cabbage roll soup.
  • Hadley_SM
    Hadley_SM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I red or green saute it with a little onion in healthy oil. Then when it is tender, serve drizzled with a little vinegar or butter if you prefer.

Pork is great with cabbage too.

Inside Out Egg Roll
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Serves 3-4

Ingredients

1 Tbsp canola oil
    1/2 a roll of reduced fat pork or turkey breakfast sausage
    1 or 2 garlic cloves, grated
    1" piece of ginger, grated
    1 bag (16 oz.) Cole slaw mix
    Soy sauce (reduced sodium) to taste
    1/8 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
    Salt, white pepper and red pepper flakes to taste

Optional garnishes:
    Green onions, sliced
    Toasted sesame seeds
    Fried Chinese noodles

Directions

Sauté sausage in oil until brown. Add garlic, ginger, and slaw mix; saute until it starts to reduce in size. Add soy sauce, five spice powder, salt and peppers to taste. Sauté a little longer and serve. Garnish with any or all garnishes from above.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    New Year's Cabbage(Traditional)
    Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Source: Mom

2 lbs. Pork loin chops, sliced into large pieces
    2 Onions, chopped
    1 bunch Green Onions, sliced
    3 heads of young Green Cabbage, chopped
    Salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste
    Parsley, chopped

Heat olive oil in large pot. Season pork with salt and peppers, add to pot and cook until brown.

Add the onions, then green onions and finally the cabbage stirring until all cabbage it added. Add parsley (optional) if using. Cook until smothered well and cabbage is very soft. Serve over rice
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great ideas!!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    You've heard of the trinity..onion, celery, and bell pepper? Well I do the quatro and add bacon to it or any other smoked meat. just about 5-6 slices of turkey bacon, chopped or turkey smoked kebisa( 1/2 of one link sliced ) to one head of green cabbage. I saute the meat with the trinity until the meat is browned and crisp. (The meat makes its own oil.) Then I throw in rinsed, drained, de-cored and cut up cabbage and stir fry for about 5 minutes, season with salt , blk pepper and crushed red pepper flakes (to taste), then turn heat down to low and cover and cook for 20 minutes until tender. The flavors are awesome! Mix up the green pepper with yello w and red for a festive look!

I also use the Quatro for baked beans, pork and beans, mac and cheese out of the box, and any stir-fried veggies.

What she said,one of our favs.I usually add a Tbl or so of rice vinegar the last few mins,or when done. Stir & serve.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Muthia!! Cabbage and chickpea flour dumplings. Manjulas Kitchen on YouTube. http://youtu.be/2YgYhsfBZf4
    I made these today with half a head of cabbage left over after making venison Runza ( meat and cabbage cooked with caraway) last week. My husband and I agree that we will be making these a lot. Very portable and only 40 cals a piece. We don't do the final fry in seasoned oil, too many calories. We just steam and go.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Roasted Cabbage Slices

Serves: 4

Ingredients
    •1 head of cabbage
    •3 tablespoons (or more) of oil
    •Salt and Pepper to taste (I used about a tablespoon of each)
    •Optional: 1 teaspoon of favorite herbs like basil, caraway seeds, dill, etc.

Instructions
    1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
    2.Slice the cabbage starting at the top of the head so that the inner pieces for circles within the slices. Aim for ¼-1/2 inch slices.
    3.Oil a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Place the cabbage on the baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining oil. You may need to melt it if using a solid oil like coconut oil or tallow.
    4.Sprinkle with desired spices (it is even delicious with just Himalayan salt !) and place in the oven.
    5.Roast for 35-40 minutes or until tender in the middle and sides are just starting to turn golden brown. Remove and serve.