Non-Runners - did you turn into a runner or quit?

Options

Replies

• buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I quit initially. The first time I tried to run on a treadmill I almost died. Decided to try outside. Within 2 minutes of being outside I tripped over a sprinkler head and tore a hole in my brand-spanking-new neon Nikes. Oh and scrapped up my arm and hand pretty bad. Needless to say I was scared. So I stuck to the elliptical and home workouts for about a month and a half until I felt comfortable again and it wasn't too cold outside (this didn't take long since I live in South Texas). Currently on week 6 of a C25k program, and while it has been a struggle (had to repeat last week) I am really enjoying it and amazed at how much I've progressed in these few short weeks.

Edited: Stupid typos!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I hated running until a few years ago - I dreaded crosstraining days we had to run.

After I did C25k a few years back I would say I became a runner, although I never got to be particularly fast. I did a 5k race and found it was one of the most fun things I've ever done in my life, definitely looking forward to more. I had to stop running while I was pregnant but I'm going to do C25k again when it cools off again.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to run if you dislike it so strongly? Pick a workout that you want to do and will stick with. It is the only way to ensure success.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I always liked walking/ strolling and I HATE the gym and classes so as a way to add exercise I tried different things - exercise DVD, bike rides, treadmill and hated it all. I then also gave the C25K a try and LOVED it. It took a while for me to really get into it because I was over 200 pounds when I started but the longer I did it the easier it got. Due to problems with my phone I never finished the program but I still follow the idea (switching between intervals of walking and jogging/ running). Since I found that I had more stamina I even started hiking and finding new and different jogging trails and going for longer periods of time.
  • MSouthernbelle87
    MSouthernbelle87 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I turned into a runner and love it! I started at 222 and now I'm 185. At first I couldn't run a mile. Now I can run eight! Once you get your first runners high you will be addicted. Patience and ice is what I recommend.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I was a total non-runner. Started the C25K app when I was the same weight as you. I'm now 45 pounds less than that and fully converted to full fledged runner. Several half marathons and one full marathon in less than 2 years. Love running.
  • roosevelt
    roosevelt Posts: 10
    Options
    I can take it or leave it. My husband and I trail run in the summer for an alternative to distance cycling, but road running isn't really my thing and I've never been able to really learn to love it.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    5'4, started c25k at around 220 pounds. I loved running, but stopped after 3 weeks due to intense pain in my hip flexors. I looked up stretching for the hips, tried it again, then again and again, before I finally really hurt myself. Running can be great, but is also very very stressful to your joints and frame (sorry, runners). What it did do for me is I am now able to run short sprints, like running in the rain or wind to my car or from my car, without panting. I run short sprints whenever the opportunity arises, so I did benefit from it. Now I just walk and strength train. I think you should at least give it a try !
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I used to be a 3 miles a day, 5 times a week runner. I quit because it doesn't build muscle other than quads. If you hate constant running, don't do it. It's not necessary for any fitness goals other than long distance running.

If you still want to get that running fix occasionally, without the mental hang ups, do some sprints. Put on some cleats, go to an open field, and do 10 sprints. It should take no more than 15 minutes and it'll burn tons of calories while naturally increasing your HGH levels. There's a ton of other benefits too:

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/989/Eight_Reasons_Everyone_Should_Do_Sprints.aspx

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm
  • CandaceG514
    CandaceG514 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I started, I hated running and I could not run for 30 seconds without feeling like my chest was going to explode and now, 14 months later, I just ran my first half marathon. I am completely in love with running now. I have never felt more proud of myself as I do when I accomplish a faster time or add on an extra distance that I haven't been able to run before.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I run on a treadmill, which, I am almost certain, has put me off running. But I am too self conscious to run outside, even at a lower weight. I did couch to 5k and afterwards got to 8 or 9k before losing the will to live. I much prefer swimming.
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Used to be a total non-runner until one of my friends got a group of us out and training for something. We did a lot of walk/running - 2 min/2 min intervals. I was always faster walking. I then gained weight (up to about 190 at 5'8") and gave it up. Got back into it, and found that my endurance just kept building - from 2 minutes of jogging to 5 to 10, and so on. Injury hit and my foot was in a boot. Trained on a recumbent bike, was losing weight, and voila - when I was able to run again, the endurance was actually there (September, 2013). Since then, I have done 3 half marathons, 1 full marathon, and a bunch of 5Ks and 10Ks. I have found that if I have a race - no matter how small - it motivates me. I hate losing money on race fees.

I have found that it's become my therapy, and would have NEVER EVER EVER dreamed this would happen at age 47. Seriously. Now, I crave it. I am again in a boot, and can't run, but not letting it stop me from other things - I know I'll be back and running before long.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    I am a non-runner here that is forced to run consistently for the job. I have never gotten the high from it, but I do love the benefits from it. have ran since high school, hated it then, hate it now.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Non-runner, been doing it for about 4 months and I still hate it. I only do it because it is one of the things my husband will do, and I try to be supportive of any steps he takes towards fitness.
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Use to run all the time for basketball way, way back in the day and hated every minute of it. 22 years later, found the C25K app and love the app and didn't mind the running. The only problem is that I try to push myself too hard or had the wrong shoes and end up with shin splints on day 8 (half way through week 2) . . . not once, but twice. I'm leaning toward the shoes because I'm very conscience of my form since I would hate my back to give out on me during the run part of the app! So I have bought good shoes this time, waiting on the shin splints to heal (it's been a week), and then I'm back to it! I love running . . .I can burn over 200 calories in 30 minutes! Plus I know it's something I can do getting up at 4:20 AM and it's good cardio! Something’s are not possible at 4:20 AM. . . Denise Austin for one! LOL!!!!!
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I always chose something else over running due to my knees. About 2 years ago I started running outside and ended up with horrid shin splints and had to quit. Last year I tried running in the AM and just couldn't deal with the early mornings. However, this year since February I've been running 6 days a week (for the most part), anywhere from 2-7 miles, and LOVE it. I do it inside on my treadmill and am training for a 10K next month. I'll run outside when the weather is nicer, but as the treadmill isn't causing me pain, I don't want to mess with a good thing. I do it after Hubby goes to bed, turn my phone off, ignore the computer (unless I'm watching Netflix) and let my mind wander. LOVE it.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have been an avid walker for years. I always thought I couldn't run because I have rheumatoid arthritis.

Last fall I bought Focus T25 and completed it in December. I had to modify a lot of moves at first and then by the end I could do nearly all of them. So, this year when the weather got nicer I thought to myself, "What the heck? You could keep up with Shaun T everyday for 14 weeks, you might as well give running a go." Since that day there has been no looking back.

I am still an avid walker, but now I'm also a runner too.
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As many people have said; it is best to pick an exercise that you enjoy, this way you will ensure you continue to do it. I am not a runner, nor have I ever been. I was totally put off it when I was at school (we are talking over 25 years ago) and already being well-developed it was uncomfortable and I was treated as a pariah because I was never any good at it and my lack of superb performance meant I lost our house team points on sports day. I prefer Zumba, swimming, cardio boxing and Yoga, and as I enjoy these forms of exercise (which don't, to me at least, feel like a workout but I know I can burn 7-800kcal in an hour) I know that even when I feel a bit tired and lack motivation I will still be able to do one or two of these...
  • seansocal
    seansocal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend c25k if you are looking to begin running. It is absolutely amazing what you are able to accomplish on this program. The best thing about c25k is that you don't feel discouraged for only being able to run 60 seconds straight when you are first starting out, instead you will feel proud every single time you finish one of the c25k runs. I started c25k about 2 months ago, and I struggled hard at first, but now I run 3 miles daily.
    The c25k program smashed the mental barriers I had towards distance running by giving me incredible confidence of me being able to finish my runs.
    I too used to hate running, but now I have to admit that I love running more than any other exercise.
    The peace during the run, and the (sometimes) endorphin high after the run are awesome.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have been a non-runner for the majority of my life... unless playing a sport. Running just... to run? That's stupid.

However, I dropped some weight and suddenly realized - HEY... I can run a mile now! Kinda awesome!
    I started running intervals (like C25K) this past December at the suggestion of a friend purely for optimal calorie burning.
    I wouldn't say that I'm totally in love with running yet, but... yeah... I'm kind of a runner now! I participated in my first ever 5k race in March, am registered for several other 5k races, a mud run, and a *gasp* major 10k race in September.
    Now I'm following a running training schedule, and using all these running terms, and planning running route ahead of time for a trip I'm taking later this month. Strange.

Still hate the treadmill, though.